Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun, too many options, need help

JJSJ

Hello. So, I've decided to take the plunge and give 3-gun a try. None of the shotguns I have at the moment are really suited for it so I've been reading every thing I can find trying to make a good decision the first time. So far I've looked at a Mossberg 930 JM, Remington Versamax and of course Benelli. I doubt my budget will allow for a M2 3G so it's pretty much not an option. My problem is, I don't know anyone that has one of the Remington's or Mossberg's that I can try so I'm hoping for some guidance. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I'm open for other suggestions.

Thanks,

Jim

p.s. my wife is also interested in giving it a try so she'll be using it too.

Hello. So, I've decided to take the plunge and give 3-gun a try. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I'm open for other suggestions.

Thanks,

Jim

Just get a stock, 24" field gun, stick an extended tube on it... and give it a try. You can modify, tune and spend money on it after you've determined that you're in or out. I prefer to start with a Benelli M2 24" Field... but that's irrelevent.

An AR based gun might be a good place to start if you will be sharing the gun with your wife. LOP is easily adjusted and perhaps the shorter OAL would aid in balance... if there's a difference between the two of you in those regards.

C

Hello. So, I've decided to take the plunge and give 3-gun a try. None of the shotguns I have at the moment are really suited for it so I've been reading every thing I can find trying to make a good decision the first time. So far I've looked at a Mossberg 930 JM, Remington Versamax and of course Benelli. I doubt my budget will allow for a M2 3G so it's pretty much not an option. My problem is, I don't know anyone that has one of the Remington's or Mossberg's that I can try so I'm hoping for some guidance. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I'm open for other suggestions.

Thanks,

Jim

Welcome to 3 Gunnin' ! If you are not in too much of a hurry, go to a couple 3 gun matches and get a feel for what you would like. It's a big investment to make, then realize it wasn't what you really wanted. I run a 930 JM and have a great results with it. Some folks have not. I have also ran a Benelli M1, it was picking about what you fed it. A lot of the folks I shoot with will let you try their guns out, hopefully they are the same in your area, and I would imagine they are. I like the Mossberg and are inexpensive, but right now they are difficult to find. I have heard the Versamax is a great shotty, but have not tried one. It's great that your wife is involved as well. I shoot with a husband and wife, in NC and they have a great time together, plus it's easier to talk them into cool gear. :goof: You can check out Dana and Damon on www.3gnclubtv.com.

Edited by Robbie

Try a Remington 1100 22"with factory 8+1 tube. You can load it turn and burn. If you are real strong and lift weights you can try to load it left hand. Shoots soft. Gets dirty. Or get a used Benelli M1 or M2 from Gun Broker, put a long tube on it and you are good to go. Look at Katie Harrris or Diana Liedorf shoot. They handle Benelli right well and they are not big women to say the least.

Thanks all, I knew I came to the right place. My wife is turning into a great shot but not overly strong, we picked up a Versamax at the shop on Saturday and she was amazed at the weight....the only shotgunning she's done is busting clays with a 20. One of the local shooters (and his team) has invited us over to try out a few and let Sarah run through a course...gotta love the shooting community, no better people anywhere.

One thing about shotguns, they are in large part for ONE person. Fit is important for hitting the targets and managing recoil. It is doubtful that you can properly fit a shotgun for a normal sized man and a normal sized woman.

Getting the proper LOP for a 3Gun shotgun and getting the head in the proper position by fit, to align the same way every time with the sights is not something many 3Gunners mess with. As the stature decreases, the fit does become more of a factor.

Depending on which VM you got, most of the fit is in the box. But the LOP is still made for 6' and larger persons. The stock can be cut or a new recoil pad can be fit fairly easily.