Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun loading

You're right. But the only way to evaluate equipment and gear for use in matches is to use it in matches. It doesn't matter what you're par time is in the living room.

I see plenty of guys putting up shotgun loading videos that get junked on all shotgun stages. I always wonder how many takes it took them to get that perfect load. The plaque for best living room loading video is down in the ladies room.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy when I can do 6 seconds shot-to-shot load 8 in a match. I can beat that in my living room but, of course, it's only on the clock that it counts! Quad-load worked very well for me at Rockcastle, which is the first time I've really used it in a match setting. I think my first load 8 of Stage 12 was probably my best of the match (off the caddies---loading from the shelf on Stage 17 may have been my best loading for the entire match, though!). From the video it looks like I managed sub-5 seconds on this one, maybe below 4.5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uGc4-czDsHY#t=573s

I am utterly sold on the TACCOM Quaload. I did, however, learn that sometimes you need to be able to load just two, not four. I'd used the Otto setup previously, but it was a little uncomfortable and after a little over a year the clips started breaking. So, I added some of TACCOM's Dual-load (2x3 clips) to my kit so I can customize for that. I also borrowed a Chameleon belt for part of the match, and I like that a lot. The clips may not be as good as some others, but that wide velcro belt is amazingly comfortable.

Edited by CJW

Thanks for the first person perspective. That was cool.

I agree that you need to have both the quad and load 2 skills/caddies in your bag. Load 2 is so much more versatile in that I can load 2,4,6,8,10 etc... you're not married to multiples of 4 like weakhand and qauds. Also, I can do a super quick port load load 2, just dump the gun like normal, first shell in the port hit the button and 2nd in like normal. It lets me run my gun dry in the middle of a cof if I have to and not get out of my load pattern.

I'll see if I can find a video of it happening in a match but I may have to make one of those poser videos to explain it.

I did, however, learn that sometimes you need to be able to load just two, not four

Definitely agree on that one. I've taken to typically having a quad or two, depending on stage, and another 4 shells in load2 in order to have that flexibility.

Edited by AustinWolv

I am doing pretty well with the TACCOM Quad Loads. I ran them for the first time in a 150 round shotgun match a couple weeks ago. Dropped two shells all day. The loads probably where a little slower than these but I am pretty fast at it on a full speed run now.

After I shot this video I tried to work it down to 4 seconds but started dropping deuces like a SOB pushing that hard. All in all the quads has become a lot easier than I expected. I have probably practiced for well a good 4-5 hours.

I haven't tried the Quads from Carbon Arms yet but these TACCOM units are great!

That's about what I figured from your earlier description. I have to play with that idea strong-hand. I also just got myself the MatchSaver, too...

Benny, I use els so I move it around all the time.

JT, I do run it dry on purpose sometimes, I can load 10 with this technique followed up by 2 quads... Mostly it just lets me not worry about keeping it hot so I can bang out that 9th shell during the middle of a COF instead of doing a 1 round recovery load. No real good way I've found yet to load 1 shell with the load 2 / quad techniques.

I still don't run it dry flatfooted, but if you are going to load into the next position like you should then this is almost the same speed as a regular load 2... Just grab an extra stick and you're gun is topped off and you stay in your load plan.

I think you're onto something. Adding a shell during array after a miss especially if your getting ready to or are on the move can cause you to stop. So run it dry and top it off as you're doing here lets you keep I trucking. It probably takes less time to port load like you are here than to go to the belt caddy for one shell too.

Well done! Stay port loader strong!!!

There's just no really good way to pluck 1 she'll from load2/quad caddies. Before this I was keeping a 4x4 on my belt and carrying 8 rounds just in case I had to port load.

I don't understand no good way to pluck one shell, you just grab one instead of two/four. You are right in that it is not oriented correctly for traditional weak/strong hand loading but it is fine for a port dump or single shell "load two". I don't worry a lot about running dry if the stage (or my poor shooting) calls for it, I am not blazing fast anyway and rolling the gun all the way over for an open port shell dump of the first shell of a load-two and then the other in the tube leaves me less spring pressure on the rest of the shells. I need to look into the "Matchsaver".

There's just no really good way to pluck 1 she'll from load2/quad caddies. Before this I was keeping a 4x4 on my belt and carrying 8 rounds just in case I had to port load.

I don't understand no good way to pluck one shell, you just grab one instead of two/four. You are right in that it is not oriented correctly for traditional weak/strong hand loading but it is fine for a port dump or single shell "load two". I don't worry a lot about running dry if the stage (or my poor shooting) calls for it, I am not blazing fast anyway and rolling the gun all the way over for an open port shell dump of the first shell of a load-two and then the other in the tube leaves me less spring pressure on the rest of the shells. I need to look into the "Matchsaver".

I will say that I hadn't seen the concept of having two Matchsavers installed - one on each side of the gun.

Neat idea.

http://youtu.be/Gz5QgCyAQdE

Edited by Zeke013

The best way that I found to deal with a miss on a shotgun COF in the past was always to load 1 round immediately so that I could stay in my load and movement plan.

Grabbing 1 shell out of a load 2 carrier leaves you 2 shells down on your belt as you can't load 2 with that clip. Also stopping to load that 1 round takes 2-3 secs. With this technique you can keep shooting and fix it while you're moving/reloading... without changing your load plan and trying to figure out new stage tactics on the fly. If you try and push it to the limit one day you'll be looking for all those seconds too.

Here it is on the clock...

Ignore the crappy loading as the moving the gun around in the house really slowed me down for some reason. You had to keep the muzzle through the port when firing or I would have been farther back.

I just quit loading shotgun.

RCI Fully Integrated Benelli M2 w/Nordic Components +4 mag tube extension. 31 rounds of shotgun fun!!!

Nice! But...if you've quit loading, why do you need the Speed Chute??? :D