Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun loading

Thinking of switching from load 4 weak hand to dual load or load 2 etc. I've played with it a little just grabbing two of the table and I like it. I'm trying to figure out which holders would be the best to start with. I'm trying not to break the bank but I also live by the "buy once, cry once" credo. Thanks for the help.

Jason

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of switching from load 4 weak hand to dual load or load 2 etc. I've played with it a little just grabbing two of the table and I like it. I'm trying to figure out which holders would be the best to start with. I'm trying not to break the bank but I also live by the "buy once, cry once" credo. Thanks for the help.

Jason

Take a look at the AP Customs Load 2 carriers - http://www.apcustomusa.com/carriers.php Towards the bottom of the page. Very well built, light weight and good shell retention.

Also see this post below - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=172835 for a review

Edited by SteveT-NV

I have the Carbon Arms and like it very much. That said, I ordered an Otto Load 2 which was supposed to go out this past Saturday. I believe it will give me a hair more certainty on round-grab than the Carbon. Will report back once it arrives.

Edited by Zeke013

I started with the OTTO vest, moved to the carbon arms pinwheels, and have the AP customs and taccom caddies as well.

I quickly decided I didn't want a vest. They aren't fat boy friendly and seem to dig in to all sorts of places. It was well built and the loading was fast, in fact its how I knew I wanted to bite the bullet and buy all the caddies etc. I think the vest was about 1/3 the cost of what I spent on caddies and els kit to load the same number of shells. It was the only load 2/quad caddie that I have broken, but I did slam it in my car door and only broke one clip. It never failed me in a match situation. Also, if you go this route get some moleskin and put it on the back of the vest, helps to keep it from sliding around.

My favorite for weakhand load 2 are the carbon arms pinwheels. I shot with James and Mark at midwest 2012 and tried one of the FSLs. I was able to quad off it and load 2 but it wasn't for me. The AP unit is nice. No real noticeable difference in speeds and if I didn't already have plenty of Carbon Arms ones I would most likely buy those because you know billet. The Taccom unit gives you the advantage of low cost and easily allows you to adjust the tension on the shells. She isn't the prettiest girl at the prom but she'll still put out.

I have tried the carbon arms clips and the Taccom caddy for quadload. I like the Taccom caddy better if you are going to be only loading quads. The carbon arms model lets you load 2/quads either way. I haven't put my hands on a quad unit from AP customs but I have seen pictures of one. No judgement till I try it but it may be the best of both worlds.

All the units I have tried have held up great in practice and matches. I've been only using the load 2 and quad load for over 18 months now and have put some serious miles on them all. The difference you have to way is mostly price, how nice do you want them to be? In my mind its a good, better, best with Taccom at the bottom and AP at the top for load 2 rigs. Are my billet AP caddies stronger then the plastic carbon arms ones... yes. Have I broken a Carbon Arms one in almost 2 years, 40+ matches, and 275 lbs laying on top of them in the prone... no. If you're a gear queer like me you'll buy/try them all and still want the billet ones for the cool factor.

Run me down at a match and you can try them to your hearts content. They are all set up on els.

Edited by ClutchUSMC

I am just having a hard time considering the AP L2/6 given the real estate they take up. They take up more real estate (per round) than the Carbon Arms quad load. It may not be a problem at most matches, but I am headed to MGM at the end of the month and I am going to need all three 8-round holders from Carbon Arms.

Edited by Zeke013

She isn't the prettiest girl at the prom but she'll still put out.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm running the Taccom's now and although they are a little bulky on the belt, they flat out work and cost quite a bit less than others. Any of the units mentioned above will do you right.

Zeke, my high round count load out is 6 pinwheels, (24 rounds) 4 quads (16 rounds) (double stacked on 1 els clip) and a 4x4 traditional caddy for a total of 48 + 9 in the gun. If I need more than that, and I keep a 9 round armband in my bag or can usually snag a few caddies from someone standing around (the real beauty of els).

Edited by ClutchUSMC

Zeke, my high round count load out is 6 pinwheels, (24 rounds) 4 quads (16 rounds) (double stacked on 1 els clip) and a 4x4 traditional caddy for a total of 48 + 9 in the gun. If I need more than that, and I keep a 9 round armband in my bag or can usually snag a few caddies from someone standing around (the real beauty of els).

Now THAT is a loadout!

Jason

I've only used Carbon Arms and Otto load2 vest, so can't say about the APC and TACCOM stuff.

I stayed with using Carbon Arms. Quad load practice:

Edited by AustinWolv

Nice video Austin. Quadload is the way to go as far as methods. My match reloads for 8 rounds are 4 seconds being careful. I get sub 3 second runs in practice frequently. My load 4 shot to shot is faster then most peoples weekhand. and Im a 50% shooter (only 2 matches, Shotgun strong, pistol and rifle are weak.) So keep at it!

No mods to this CZ other then the tube. I sold it and bought a benelli M2 that is getting worked over now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoUbr4Az1c

Edited by Tacticalk9

Here's a video of me hitting an average load 2 off a carbon arms pinwheel last week.

Guys doing it flatfooted at home means nothing, lets see how you load under match conditions.

Edited by ClutchUSMC

Started quadload in Dec 2012 -

At SMM3G 2013

4 on the move

From FB3G 2012, a couple months or so after getting an Otto load2:

8, fumble

Which loading method did you find best suited you?

Started quadload in Dec 2012 -

At SMM3G 2013

4 on the move

From FB3G 2012, a couple months or so after getting an Otto load2:

8, fumble

Which loading method did you find best suited you?

Summarized here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168726#entry1871919

I've been using quad-load and practicing that, although I haven't encountered the need much for it in the local TXMG and Surefire/STI TXMG Championship this year so far. The stages have been written to favor going to pistol instead of sticking with shotgun.

My match reloads for 8 rounds are 4 seconds being careful. I get sub 3 second runs in practice frequently. My load 4 shot to shot is faster then most peoples weekhand

Cool, good work! Edited by AustinWolv

Here's a video of me hitting an average load 2 off a carbon arms pinwheel last week.

Guys doing it flatfooted at home means nothing, lets see how you load under match conditions.

http://goo.gl/x7veA

I only have a couple of matches under my belt but I really dig the quads.

Edited by Tacticalk9

Thats better than watching someone load in the garage right? Maybe not as impressive as a 3sec load 8 but much more informational...

Good looking loads guys.

K9, going backwards from box to box you made a pretty nice quad but you should have started it way sooner! You have the speed and skill to hit that load and have the gun up before you're in the shooting box!

Practice is practice. Have to get the technique down, keep it from getting rusty since not too many matches are run at our homes, and push speed to the breaking point in practice in order to go faster mindlessly during match conditions.

Showing practice and match conditions both have merits. Reviewing practice video can help find little things that aren't efficient that you don't even know you are doing, just like reviewing match video, i.e. both are informational. Watching Garcia and Miller show and practice how to do weakhand a while back, for example, was just as informational as watching their shotgun runs during match vids. Hasn't been merely attending matches that helps one's "game". Just going to matches doesn't cut it.

Edited by AustinWolv