Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking into IPSC/USPSA

I'm new to this forum, and am looking to get into IPSC/USPSA. I'm going to purchase a GLOCK 34 to compete, and am wondering about a holster. I'm a lefty. I also feel too young for a sport like this. I'm 14 and most people I see in it are 20s+. However, I feel like I am a decent shot and want to have fun. I've been drilled with gun safety from the time I started shooting my dad's pellet gun, so safety is no issue. Any advice on IPSC/USPSA is appreciated. Thanks!

You're not to young, I wish I had started at your age. The Glock 34 is a good place to start. I am also left handed and when I shot production I had a Blade Tech holster and it worked great. As far as getting involved go to the www.uspsa.com and do a search for clubs in your area they will have contact info and match schedules to help answer your questions. In no time you'll be hooked for life. Best of luck.

BladeTech DOH without question. Shooter's Connection is the best source.

Are you in Cincinnati? There are a ton of us shooting around here at several different clubs. If you are safe you are not too young. I have a couple of 12-14 year olds signed up to shoot the Ohio State match in a few weeks.

Well I'm from Georgia, and I know of a range about 15 min from my house that does matches weekly. I also hav a friend who works there. However the day they do it on doesn't work with my schedule.

Keep in mind USPSA safety rules are more restrictive than most other venues. You must learn and practice those safety rules and even then you will likely commit a DQ offense at some point. Have fun and be safe. I agree with the Blade-Tech DOH. That's what I run. I can't help with the left hand thing. The world is designed for those of us programmed correctly!

Edited by sroe3

Well like I say, left handed people are the only people in their right mind (right side of brain controls left side of body), but I'll have to look at that holster, what about other equipment? I've been looking at te cheapest stuff because I don't have much to work with... Any suggestions?

Well like I say, left handed people are the only people in their right mind (right side of brain controls left side of body), but I'll have to look at that holster, what about other equipment? I've been looking at te cheapest stuff because I don't have much to work with... Any suggestions?

Ready Tactical, Comp-Tac are maybe a little cheaper than BT. All good equipment. Pretty simple, basic, Kydex gear.

I also wish I had started shooting competitions before my mid 20s.

I would suggest Blade-Tech as well. They have a few lines and you may wish to get one that is IDPA and USPSA Production legal.

I'd look for some 3Gun, Steel Challenge, IDPA and even "local" homegrown matches. Get in touch with the person running them and ask if you can come watch and get a safety/rules breifing at the same time. Should only take a few hours each and with what you would spend in time and money on one match, you can witness the particulars, and talk to the people for the different styles. Ask the MDs if anyone has any loaner equipment if you want to come back and try a match.

You might end up getting some stuff given to you or get to shoot a match with someone else's guns and gear. There are forms on USPSA.org that would allow you to get the proper signatures if you don't have a guardian to go with you. My son is 11, has shot 6 matches and has won almost $500 worth of Gear at Ruger Rimfire matches, which are typically free for Juniors.

The nearest range that does things that fit my schedule is 45 min away... They do everything from IHMSA to USPSA monthly. I may check then out... Have to find out when the next USPSA/IPSC match is. For any in the GA area te range I'm talking about is Cherokee Gun Club. Thanks for the input. Also how many mags would you suggest? I know the G34 comes with 2 17rd mags, by would that be enough?

Do not get the feeling you are too young. You are at a perfect age to start. Most older people wish they had started younger. We have several junior shooters in our club that regularly win matches against all of the adults. One young man who I believe is 17 now, just earned his "GM" classification in the production division. He started shooting several years ago. Another young man who is 14 just earned his "A" classification in production, and is a very tough competitor. Safe gun handling is not a problem for any of these junior shooters. Just like everyone else, they have to be coached and watched, but age, certainly by 14 is not a handicap for learning to handle a gun in a safe manner. In fact, it's probably much easier, because you won't have had years and years to develop bad habits. Good luck, and get ye to a range to start the journey!

Mike

Thanks for the input. Also how many mags would you suggest? I know the G34 comes with 2 17rd mags, by would that be enough?

It will depend a little on which division you enter. If you enter the "Limited" division you might be able to get by with 2 mags, just barely, but you would really need 3 to be comfortable. That is a good division to start in to get used to the game but a G-34 would be at a little bit of a disadvantage in that division. You will probably want to end up shooting the "Production" division with your G-34. However, in that division you are limited to loading 10 rounds in your magazines, so you would really need 4 mags minimum for that division. Five would be better.

Mike

Welcome and, as said repeatedly above, no, you are not too young to start shooting.

As MarkCo suggested, I would urge you to get to the range, watch and ask questions first. It can be overwhelming to shoot a match as the very first thing you do the first time out. Some clubs insist on a safety check and orientation first, which in some locations is something that takes a whole lot more than just a quick ten minute rundown before the match.

We want your first match experience to be something that will leave you eager to come back for more of the challenge and fun, not leave a bad taste in your mouth because of a disqualification for a safety violation, or with somebody getting hurt in the worse case scenario (thankfully that last is very rare).

I'm new to this forum, and am looking to get into IPSC/USPSA. I'm going to purchase a GLOCK 34 to compete, and am wondering about a holster. I'm a lefty. I also feel too young for a sport like this. I'm 14 and most people I see in it are 20s+. However, I feel like I am a decent shot and want to have fun. I've been drilled with gun safety from the time I started shooting my dad's pellet gun, so safety is no issue. Any advice on IPSC/USPSA is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there,

I am a new shooter to Steel Challenge and USPSA too. Its a ton of fun and addicting. I am also a lefty. I am trying out different holsters and here is what I have found;

For IDPA I use a Safariland paddle-

http://holsters.com/concealment/holsters/model5198.asp

Model 5198

Open Top Concealment Paddle & Belt Loop Combo Holster with Detent

$39.00

For USPSA and Steel Challenge I am using a Bladetech DOH with Stingray attachment- it is about $65 and you can get it fast from shooters connection.

PM me if you have any questions. I may be able to help you save some money,time and frustration finding stuff.

Good luck and have fun, Comp shooting is awesome!

I think Julie Golob starting her shooting career at the same age so you are absolutely not too young to start at 14. I started shooting at 16 as a law enforcement explorer and I wish someone would have introduced me to ISPC, etc back then. I'm in my 40s now and I'm just taking up action shooting and wishing I did it when I was your age.

I was a police officer a lifetime ago and then took about fifteen years off from shooting which I started up again recently so keep that in mind. I'm just learning this myself also.

I've settled on USPSA Production as my primary action shooting game. I went with the Glock 34 Gen 4 as my primary Production pistol and I'm very happy with it. My goal is to stick with Production at least until the end of 2014 to help me learn the game and get my fundamentals down. I'll almost certainly do Single Stack next since it's still a low magazine round count (eight if you shoot Major power factor which I plan on doing) and it will help me continue to learn how to make effective use of what few rounds I have before I have to do a magazine exchange.

I'm also doing Steel Challenge and I enjoy that very much. It's a good way to learn how to do things like draw and engage targets without having the added pressure of...well, moving. I'm using a Smith and Wesson 22A for Rimfire and the Glock 34 Gen 4 again for iron sights/Production. I'm going to do the World Shoot this Summer in Frostproof because, I guess, humiliating myself in front of shooters from all over the world will make me better. Seriously though, I'm doing the World Shoot so that I would have an early goal to work on as an action shooter. My goal for that match is just to stay safe and get a consistent performance that is relatively clean. A close second is to not be the absolutely dead last shooter.

If you are going to go with a Glock, you should also look into GSSF matches since they are very beginner friendly and award decent prizes for performance and at random. Those matches are a nice blend of steel and paper so it's a nice way to spend a day or two in a lower pressure competitive situation.

Multi-gun looks fun also, but my goal is to actually be competitive in USPSA so I am limiting myself to just getting good at that. If I dilute myself too much, I figure it will hurt my ability to get better, faster at USPSA.

Here is what I went with for my Glock 34 Gen 4 USPSA Production rig:

Belt: CR Speed Hi-Torque

Holster: Comp-Tac International (which I switched over to drop-offset)

Mag Pouches: CR Speed Versa (Five of them...)

Also get yourself very good hearing protection. Some of the professional shooters will double up with ear plugs and muffs. You can't get your hearing back once it's damaged. I'm going to an audiologist shortly to get a baseline assessment of where I am at and to get fitted for some proper electronic internal ear protection that I will use with my electronic external protection.

Get decent eye protection also. You don't have to go nuts, but just make sure you get something that provides good coverage and meets the appropriate protection standards for shooting. You'll get a lot of bits and pieces coming back at you once you start shooting steel. Nothing large or painful, but you wouldn't want something hitting an eye.

The nearest range that does things that fit my schedule is 45 min away... They do everything from IHMSA to USPSA monthly. I may check then out... Have to find out when the next USPSA/IPSC match is. For any in the GA area te range I'm talking about is Cherokee Gun Club. Thanks for the input. Also how many mags would you suggest? I know the G34 comes with 2 17rd mags, by would that be enough?

I carry five mags on my belt for USPSA Production. This is abject overkill, but that's how I roll. I think as a minimum, I'd recommend three on your belt and then have one in your pocket for USPSA that you can load into your pistol when you are making ready. That gives you one full mag in your pistol and three on your belt in case something goes south on you. Sometimes you'll get some sort of issue that will come up that the best way to clear an errant round is to drop the mag if nothing else is working. That's why I carry so many mags. I'm sure I'll probably take one or two off someday when I have more confidence, but for now my motto is "If a lot if good, too much must be better."

As far as how many mags to actually take to a match...I've got a bunch on order. I took my Glock 21 to a GSSF match in Orlando and I had around ten magazines with me. I didn't need that much to complete a stage, of course, but it was nice to have so many mags loaded up and ready to go so that I was able to shoot quickly if I was called up to shoot before I could load up the mags I just used to shoot. You don't need this many mags, but the more you have, the more flexibility you at a match.

Also assume you are going to lose one at a really bad time so I think you'd be safe with five or six to start. I'd call four the bare minimum to start. For USPSA Production that means you will have 41 rounds on you (three ten round mags on your belt and a 10+1 situation in your 34 to start) so that will cover you.

Edited by ericjhuber

Don't worry about age! KC Escubio was a Grand Master at 12! Just follow the advice that the folks here have given you and get started!

Welcome to the family!

Chuck

Ccnati !

Opinion - USPSA is the right choice for young beginners, and don't forget Steel Challenge, A lot of young folks get really good shooting Steel.

First starting, fo to the line, pistol holstered, mags in their pouches, Do NOTHING, let the Range Officer and/or Safety Officer tell you what to do in order. Pistol down Range and check out the 180* Rule.

I'm 77 Shot USPSA, SC, 3-Gun, still do the above, let em tell you, a good Range Officer will help and not let you get in trouble/PEs.

Have FUN, be SAFE,

Perry

Im case nobody pointed it out yet, G34 is legal in USPSA prod div but not in IPSC PD; mag cap is 10 max in USPSA, 15 in IPSC. TrIgger pull wt in IPSC PD is 5 lbs for the first pull in double action. Not so familiar w/ USPSA rules but I know there are major differences vs IPSC rules specially in PD.

I'm left handed also! I also use a G34 for both USPSA and IDPA. I use the blade tech. If you need to order one, I know a good company to get one from in Florida. Let me know and I can get you their info.