Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.303 SAVAGE...

stinsonbeach

Um, no. Bad Idea. Get a Lee Reloading manual. I don't have mine in front of me, but it's probably in there. If not, .303 British is nearly it's equal.

Ballistically, the .308 Win is way hotter than the .303 Savage.

The Savage is closer to 30-30 Win.

Careful...

Um, no. Bad Idea. Get a Lee Reloading manual. I don't have mine in front of me, but it's probably in there. If not, .303 British is nearly it's equal.

Ballistically, the .308 Win is way hotter than the .303 Savage.

The Savage is closer to 30-30 Win.

Careful...

Yup - I'm aware of that, but I was going to start out w/ 30-30 data & work my way up.

The barrel under the rear sight it says: "...high pressure steel..." - probably meaningless, but there it is.

Guess I'll stick w/ 30-30 data until I get more info.

No where near 308 Winchester pressures. The Hogdon website has a load on it: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp Note that the max pressure is 32,000 cup versus 50k + for the 308.

Hornady was supposed to make brass and ammo

Thanks for the load data.

Hornady still makes 150 gr RNSP. Item #: HRN80495 for about $29.00 / box.

Just bought some & now I have the brass. Because the .303 S is .308 I'm going to do some experimenting.

No where near 308 Winchester pressures. The Hogdon website has a load on it: http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp Note that the max pressure is 32,000 cup versus 50k + for the 308.

Hornady was supposed to make brass and ammo

Thanks for the load data.

Hornady still makes 150 gr RNSP. Item #: HRN80495 for about $29.00 / box.

Just bought some & now I have the brass. Because the .303 S is .308 I'm going to do some experimenting.

Whoa! Just went to Hodgdon site & it sez it's .311?

Everything else I've ever read tells me it's .308. The .303 British is .311.

What's so?

My old Lyman (45th edition) says .308.

Ok - so now everything I've heard sez .308 EXCEPT Hodgdon.

Pretty tough to simply dismiss them, tho?

Just measured w/ my digital calipers at the cannula (sp?) just above crimp:

- Remington (old) 180 gr = .3045

- Hornady (new) 150 gr = .3030

Doesn't mean much, but . . .

Who knows - definitively - out there?

Did a quick search, and Wikipedia (assuming you trust it) says that .303 Savage is .308, while .303 British is .311. Here's a site that has load data at the bottom of the page:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=231

Good luck!

Thanks for the site.

That is what I thought, but the Hodgdon site sez differently.

Hello: I had several .303 Savage rifles, still have one, and all were fired by me with .308", 150 grain fmj bullets. Accuracy was fine, from which I infer that barrell groove diameter is nominally .308". Also, I have some Remington and Winchester factory loads which have bullets measuring .308" diameter. I infer from this information that .303 Savage does require .308" bullets.

Case capacity of .303 Savage brass is nominally 7% greater than that of 30-30 Winchester brass, and maximum pressure ratings are nominally the same. My reloaded brass base diameter when measured after firing was nominally the same as factory loaded brass, which is an empirical indicator of maximum firing pressure. My reloads were 36 grains of Accurate Arms 2520.

Edited by yosimitesam

Is something for sale here? If this is just about loading data I'm going to move it to that forum.

it started out that I wanted to buy .303 Savage dies ... but morphed into this.

Seems everyone is pretty satisfied tho - no griping.

...but you're the boss.

Do what you have to.

Hello: I had several .303 Savage rifles, still have one, and all were fired by me with .308", 150 grain fmj bullets. Accuracy was fine, from which I infer that barrell groove diameter is nominally .308". Also, I have some Remington and Winchester factory loads which have bullets measuring .308" diameter. I infer from this information that .303 Savage does require .308" bullets.

Case capacity of .303 Savage brass is nominally 7% greater than that of 30-30 Winchester brass, and maximum pressure ratings are nominally the same. My reloaded brass base diameter when measured after firing was nominally the same as factory loaded brass, which is an empirical indicator of maximum firing pressure. My reloads were 36 grains of Accurate Arms 2520.

thanks for the info.

Ok - more info:

Just received Lee dies.

It sez: "... bullet diameter 7.82mm ..." which is NOT 7.62 /.308!

More confusion.

Think it might be time to contact Savage???

Mod: thanks for making it easy to continue this thread.

-jb

Edited by stinsonbeach