Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you get a grip on your draw?

Esther

I'm trying to decide if its worth dedicating the time to effectively try it. I don't typically shoot SC so I'm on the fence about it, but I can't seem to get my draw to first shot under 1.1 average.

If you can't get under a second on a draw with a full grip then you have issues that need to be sorted out, the scoop draw might be a quick way to get under a second but the other issues will still be there and you'll now be getting a bad grip as well.

What would those issues be do you think? Wasted movement?

Its certainly possible. I had a lot of wasted movement and i wasnt aware of it until i recorded myself doing draw drills.

Watched a couple youtube vids on keeping it simple in my movement and was getting my draws to .6 the next time around

Edited by jcarpenter82

What would those issues be do you think? Wasted movement?

Its certainly possible. I had a lot of wasted movement and i wasnt aware of it until i recorded myself doing draw drills.

Watched a couple youtube vids on keeping it simple in my movement and was getting my draws to .6 the next time around

.6 draw? What size target and distance ?

7 yard at a index size spot in the a zone. I should clarify this is in dry fire. Ill get a better idea this weekend at the local match.

Point i was making is that i cleaned up my draw stroke. After watching my firsr video i was just not fluid at all.

Does your hand come onto the pistol from the side or down on the pistol from above? I generally achieve a more consistent grip when coming down on the gun from above and draws are faster by about 0.20. That said, I'm not sure whether reversing direction on the draw will ultimately cost more time as I improve.

I always index my finger alongside the side of the pistol and prep the shot on the press out...I'm not a speed demon, but without concealment I can get around .8 seconds or so. But it's all about that wasted movement. I also practice in front of a mirror and make sure that the only things moving are my hands. Don't move your hips, head, or any of that. I tried the scoop draw when I shot revolver, but during dry fire I would occasionally see my pre transfer bar smith whirl through the air and suddenly it seemed unwise. Also, if you intend to draw a pistol in self defense, it's generally better to throw your gun at the bad guy after you run out of bullets....

Edited by 45dotACP

Does anyone else draw faster from surrender than from "hands relaxed at sides?" I'm trying to figure out why, but I'm consistently 0.1-0.2 faster from surrender. For me, it does seem to coincide with coming down on the gun from above.

Does anyone else draw faster from surrender than from "hands relaxed at sides?" I'm trying to figure out why, but I'm consistently 0.1-0.2 faster from surrender. For me, it does seem to coincide with coming down on the gun from above.

Gravety?

I'm definitely faster (though faster is a relative term...).

I agree that it seems faster acquiring the firing grip by coming straight down on the backstrap as opposed to having to bring the hand up, in and down as it would with the hands at side starting position.

I'm about a tenth faster from relaxed at sides, but I'm more comfortable from surrender. I think a big part of it is that from surrender as your hand comes down to the gun your thumb is already in the correct position and getting the initial grip is easier. From relaxed at sides you either have to come up above the gun and then back down, or rotate your thumb over the beavertail as you are getting your grip. From relaxed at sides the distance traveled is much shorter, but getting your grip can be more awkward.

Not sure if I do a scoop draw per se. I have a good grip on my gun as it leaves the holster, but my thumb doesn't cross over the beavertail until it's quite a ways out of the holster.