Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slide rackers

DrLove

If you are going to get the Fashion Accessory, aka slide racker, then be sure to get one with a detent ball, or suffer the consequences of having it fly off mid stage, the screw head getting stripped, not being able to find the allen wrench when you need to take if off etc.

I freed my self of all that and had the back of the slide milled off so there is no way to put that Fashion Accessory on.

When they say an unloaded start is faster, bull, it is what you practice that is faster.

Do you need one, well if you do you need to a gun that runs more.

If you are going to get the Fashion Accessory, aka slide racker, then be sure to get one with a detent ball, or suffer the consequences of having it fly off mid stage, the screw head getting stripped, not being able to find the allen wrench when you need to take if off etc.

I freed my self of all that and had the back of the slide milled off so there is no way to put that Fashion Accessory on.

When they say an unloaded start is faster, bull, it is what you practice that is faster.

Do you need one, well if you do you need to a gun that runs more.

Ive seen some on Limited guns after the new rules.

They give an advantage for table starts for sure

Need? If your guns runs, probably rarely........... Nice to have? Yes. Absolutely. Helps with table starts, clearing that errant piece of supercomp brass that you picked up and loaded by mistake, stuff like that. In for a penny, in for a pound. :)

-Mike

I guess its not that bad, since a stock trubore has a fat overweight berthabutt slide anyway, but when you spend a lot of money getting the weight wacked off the slide then hang a darn heavy fashion accessory on it, it just don't make sense. With the SideMore C-more mount no need for a slide racker for table starts. Also the *thumb rest [generic]* jacks it up even more. We had a steel match with an unloaded start mixed in with a GM, a couple masters with slide rakers, and me with no fashion accessory, we competed for fastest time to first shot, well I proved my point, I beat them all 5 runs. Yes, practice makes fast, not that I might not have been a tick faster with that loading rod hang off the side of the gun but, not having one isn't hurting my scores.

I'm not wasting time hunting for the darn thing when it flies off in the middle of stage, or begging to borrow an allen wrench at the safe table so I can take the slide off etc etc.

The biggest thing for me was when you shoot in the winter the thing would hang up on your clothing!

Edited by CocoBolo

Had one on every gun and would not have one without it....very handy for loading and unloading more than anything....my guns run but I have seen shooters who's don't and without a racker they struggled....in 6 years never had one fly off during a stage and a competitive shooter that does not have the 5 allen wrenches in his bag to work on his gun, well isn't very smart.....fashion accessory no, just another tool........everyone has their own opinion about them...

Edited by DrawandDuck

I have a new Trubor and started this very post last month. I found that the stock Cmore mounted needed to be changed since the ejected cases occasionally hit the upside of the mount, so I switched to a horizontal mount. Once I did that, I tried to install Swenson ambi safeties, but found I had no way to rack the slide!

So, I NEED to install a slide racker, and have purchased several to see which will be best. I think the Brazos Zigracker will be the best option, just make sure you order the proper one to clear your Cmore mount. If you are not going to change to a horizontal mount, I have a new Zigracker I'll sell you, instead of sending it back... See my caveat above regarding ordering the right part!

Actually, I HAD a ball detent, and it would not hold the slide-racker firmly. I finally ditched it and and the slide-racker that was made for it and bought a Cheely slide-racker. I had to fit the Cheely to the dovtail, so I fit it so tight that I doubt it would easily come loose even without the set screw. Also, I put it on the right side, so I don't need to remove it to strip the gun. Some will say that the racker on the right is a disadvantage, but since I'm not a GM or Master level, I doubt it makes a lick of difference in my performance. (Right now I'm just trying to make A class.)

• 2 weeks later...

All 3 of mine are sidemore mounts none have slide rackers. The Quinn I and the Cheely mount are far enough forward you got plenty of slide to grab. Putting the Swenson safeties on is forcing the issue of adding the fashion accessory slide racker. I've never consider those safeties, the ones I got work fine, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You might want to radius the firing pin stop if you are too weak to wrack the slide, one of my shooting buds is so weak he has to cock the hammer first, always annoys me when I R.O. him, he has nothing to grab onto he milled every last bit of metal he could off the slide including the serrations on the back. There is no metal left to put a slide racker slot in and probably not enough metal on top to hold a screw. It is almost comical on an unloaded start when he has to cock the hammer then grab the mag.

Hello: I use a Shooters Connection racker which I install a ball detent. It has never come off and is easy to remove for cleaning. I do heat the racker up and bend it down to clear either the Quinn II or Cheely mount. There is enough room to install one on a TruBor which I have done and also lightened the slide. The Brazos looks good but I have not installed the 3 I have yet. Maybe my new 9mm will get one soon. I would not be without one for empty starts and as a prop for table starts. I am a right handed shooter with it on the left hand side. Oh, they work with Swenson's as well. Thanks, Eric