Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with Montana Gold 223 Bullets?

blairmckenzie1

I just want to clarify. Have there been issues posted about 55grn FMJ from Montana Gold bought BEFORE Aug 2012? I occasionally use a suppressor and the last thing I need is to have baffle strikes on that.

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any information as to which lot #'s to time span affected or what the heck the problem is? Or should i just send them an email every week? Kinda frustrating!

If i load 10 rounds and have no problems does that mean the other thousands are good to go? I would really like to know what the problem is so i can make an educated decision or when the date is i will receive my new bullets. If i am at a match i prefer to have confidence the screw ups come from me and not my equipment (which is usually the case).

This was from June 2nd.

"hi thomas, some lots were a problem. when i have time to complete testing and start producing we will contact you. norm"

I guess I will become a squeaky wheel.

Honestly don't surprise me I have noticed lately a lot of companies are selling and not filling back orders just to turn the buck at a higher price. Not saying MG is doing this but with as high as their prices have raised I no longer shoot them unless I get them free. If I buy I go through precision delta a lot cheaper. I'm just going to shoot mine out only have a few hundred left and hope it don't jack up my gun.

Edited by deerassassin22

• 2 months later...

Is there any insider update on this? I emailed and received an email back that he is still working on them, he did offer to refund my purchase and send a pickup tag. Prices have skyrocketed and inventories are low, that is why I bought the things in the first place! No good choices to make!

Is there any insider update on this? I emailed and received an email back that he is still working on them, he did offer to refund my purchase and send a pickup tag. Prices have skyrocketed and inventories are low, that is why I bought the things in the first place! No good choices to make!

I got a refund from them for 2 cases about a week or two ago. They send me pre-paid labels to send my current stock back.

I asked them about the issue. They said their die is being repaired and it would be January before they were back in production of their .22s.

Crud! Thanks, i guess I will take the refund and start looking for bulk Nosler's

I've been buying the bulk Hornady 55s. I'm very happy with the accuracy I'm getting with them, especially out of my Noveske 10.5" and Whiteoak 20" barrels.

Crud! Thanks, i guess I will take the refund and start looking for bulk Nosler's

Which Nosler you thinking about? I've been using Ballistic Tips out to 560 yards (Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, one shot, one plate). Powder Valley has had them in stock for a while. They are the first place to look.

55 FMJ's. Xtreme Bullets are available most of the time, and prices are pretty reasonable. Accuracy is good enough for paper and steel out to 200 yards, in a match.

I bought 55 GR Ballistic Tips from Cablea's and that is what I have been playing with. I looked and the Hornady seem to be about a third cheaper than the Nosler but I haven't tried them in my Stag 3G yet. I don't know about the accuracy difference between the Nosler and Hornady.

Typically I shoot no further than 300, every now and again a little further with a limit of about 400. The < 100 yards stages in three gun though burn up the highest volume. I may split my reloads all 55 grain just the Nosler and try the Hornady with the same powder charge.

I use the same powder charge for all the 55 grain bullets. When it's plentiful, 25.5 of H335. Since it's not so plentiful, I got a couple jugs of Alliant 1200R, 24.5 has been working very well. Alliant lists a max load of 23.9 with 55's. It wasn't enough, bumping up to the 24.5 gives me comparable accuracy as the H335.

I used to use H335 but after the rush i only have some CFE i bought to try out so I have been running that until the 335 becomes available (hopefully) sooner than latter. I did pick up some AR Comp but i have not tried it out yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I got an answer back for replacements in the August time frame.

i was told the same thing. but august has came and went. sent mine back and was refunded. love MG for pistol bullets but i think i will stick to hornady for rifle. picked up 6k from palmetto state armory a while back, should be good to go for a while.

I just sent mine back Monday also. I tried to trade them for pistol bullets (I would have came out ahead a couple of bucks) but they backed out of that and said i can order them with the money. I am going to try and find one of the Hornady bulk packs this winter and just stick with them. Timing is poor for this to happen and I am not sure who I will buy my next order of pistol bullets from, I am 50/50 on them right now.

Which Nosler you thinking about? I've been using Ballistic Tips out to 560 yards (Rocky Mountain 3 Gun, one shot, one plate). Powder Valley has had them in stock for a while. They are the first place to look.

55 FMJ's. Xtreme Bullets are available most of the time, and prices are pretty reasonable. Accuracy is good enough for paper and steel out to 200 yards, in a match.

That depends on how big the steel your shooting at is. Ok for paper but not good enough for auto poppers at 100 yards.

That depends on how big the steel your shooting at is. Ok for paper but not good enough for auto poppers at 100 yards.

Err ... any bullet that can't a auto-popper, even a skinny one, at 100 yards is not really a bullet worth spending money on?

Quick question on the bulk Hornady I believe they are offered in SP or BT if my memory is correct. With the market the way it Is there any real advantage or disadvantage, one over the other?