Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para-Ordnance Magazines

rhino

Is the Grams follower "universal", wherein it can fit both the STI/SV and Para magazines? When I went to Beven's website, they have Gram's springs for Para but no followers for Para. So I'm assuming its the same followers as the ones for STi/SV?

What's the hot setup for Para mags for IPSC standard division these day? :)

Thanks so much guys!

Is the Grams follower "universal", wherein it can fit both the STI/SV and Para magazines? When I went to Beven's website, they have Gram's springs for Para but no followers for Para. So I'm assuming its the same followers as the ones for STi/SV?

Thanks so much guys!

No, the follower is different. He has been working on a new design for a Para follower but AFAIK, there is nothing available yet. On a different note, it has been my experience that S_I tubes will work in a Para frame without modifying anything. The S_I tubes sit a bit lower so a weak spring will show up sooner but if your feed ramp geometry is OK, they feed fine.

Later,

Chuck

last I talked to gram, this spring. They had dumped doing the base pad kit for para-ord 45 acp, has he changed his mind :surprise:

Beven discontinued the old design some time back. He has been working on something new but AFAIK, nothing yet.

Later,

Chuck

Thanks so much guys!

No, the follower is different. He has been working on a new design for a Para follower but AFAIK, there is nothing available yet. On a different note, it has been my experience that S_I tubes will work in a Para frame without modifying anything. The S_I tubes sit a bit lower so a weak spring will show up sooner but if your feed ramp geometry is OK, they feed fine.

Later,

Chuck

I have no problems running stock unaltered STI magazines along with the unaltered magazine release in my Para.

Thanks so much guys!

Later,

Chuck

I have no problems running stock unaltered STI magazines along with the unaltered magazine release in my Para.

What caliber Para did the STI magazines fit into? This is the 1911 page so I am guessing 40?

SV Magazines fit my 38 Super Para.

I will have to see if I can borrow an STI mag sometime & give it a try. I thought I had read a few posts that said they usually sit too low to run (mostly on newer Para's IIRC.)

Thanks!

Edited by furyalecto

last I talked to gram, this spring. They had dumped doing the base pad kit for para-ord 45 acp, has he changed his mind :surprise:

I called him about a year ago, and he said, "next year". Talked to him at Area 1, in June, and he said, "I don't know when". He did elaborate on the design, which uses a metal "collar" around the base of the tube, and a plastic basepad that would presumably attach via the patented pin system. I have three of the old, all-plastic pads, and two have cracked, so the metal collar is a good idea. Bevin said he'd have some sort of "arrangement" for those needing to exchange older, broken basepads - something other than a straight swap - but didn't have specifics. I can wait until next Spring, but will go with Dawson if nothing materializes from Grams.

Thanks so much guys!

Later,

Chuck

What caliber Para did the STI magazines fit into? This is the 1911 page so I am guessing 40?

SV Magazines fit my 38 Super Para.

I will have to see if I can borrow an STI mag sometime & give it a try. I thought I had read a few posts that said they usually sit too low to run (mostly on newer Para's IIRC.)

Thanks!

Its a P16. Even SVI mags work in it.

I have a double stack Para in 38 super (with a caspian upper) that I use for Bianchi. I am thinking about shooting a couple of IPSC matches in open minor (so I don't have to change my load, recoil springs, etc.) to see if I enjoy using a dot. My magazines are the old LE only that hold 18 rounds. What kind of "inards" do you suggest I invest in to get them up to 20 rds. :unsure:

I have a double stack Para in 38 super (with a caspian upper) that I use for Bianchi. I am thinking about shooting a couple of IPSC matches in open minor (so I don't have to change my load, recoil springs, etc.) to see if I enjoy using a dot. My magazines are the old LE only that hold 18 rounds. What kind of "inards" do you suggest I invest in to get them up to 20 rds. :unsure:

Go with a Dawson extended basepad and Arrendondo insert. Keep the stock spring and follower. Should easily get you 20 in 38 Super. I get 22 in mine shooting 9mm.

• 10 months later...

Old thread resurrected because I seek your advice. I have been shooting a 1911 for IDPA and just purchased an older Para P-16 for USPSA without any magazines. I purchased 4 MecGars because I couldnt find any other magazines at all anywhere. I bought Dawson basepads, dawson longer springs and dawson followers. Stock they dont lock the slide back, hoped they would with the modifiers. Nope. I finally found magazine tubes at Para Pro Shop, so Para tubes. I ordered them from Para but have ran into the issue of getting them delivered to CA (I am a LEO so I am allowed to have these). Para said to have your gunshop call with the FFL and high cap mag cert and they will ship directly to them. Problem is my local gun shop has called them 3 or 4 times and they dont call them back. Para has already charged me so figured they were on it. So this option may not be working for me.

Here is what I am asking. What are my options when it comes to fixing my issue? Different magazine tubes that have good customer service to actually ship and that will work with the components I said above? Or keep trying to get Para to follow through? I look forward to everyones experience and input from this forum.

• 9 years later...