Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/10 alphas, 50 yards. Can you do it?

DonovanM

No time limit. 10 shots, 10 alphas. 50 yards.

If yes, awesome.

If no, why not? Gun not zeroed correctly? Not aware of your POI at that distance? Gun/ammo not accurate enough? Not good and/or consistent enough with the fundamentals?

I think these are all relevant questions to ask for anyone interested in excelling at this game. It's not that it has to do with practicing shooting 50 yard targets - although since that kind of distance crops up from time to time, it is certainly worth addressing. This is simply an exercise to evaluate some things you may or may not need to work on. Might be worth thinking about.

Here is an excellent demonstration:

The question came up of want vs. need.

Do you NEED to be able to do this to succeed? Probably not.

Should you WANT to be able to do this? I do. And I think anyone interested in excelling at this game should too. That is my opinion, and undoubtedly they vary.

I think I would have a better chance of doing it with a red dot than with my irons. Might could have done it with irons 30 years ago. If I actually had to do it more often, I would probably do more to verify that my gun and ammo worked at that distance. We did have 2 large poppers at 50 yards at Area-6 and it took me 4 shots to knock them down. The wind can have an effect at that distance as well!

Mike

It took 5-8 rounds to find where I was hitting. I think I could hit 15/20 once I found it. Just was playing with the last mag I had before I left. I will try again next time I got out there.

I am happy that I bet him I could hit 8 instead of ten. I would have been buying his lunch.

I tried this today, in a snow storm kind of in a hurry. 8/12 on a 10" round steel plate with my 4" 625. I should really try it on paper to verify where POI is at that distance.

Tried it yesterday with my open gun at the end of a practice session. The 10 shot group was smaller than the size of the A box, but POI was different than POA and I only had 8 in the A zone. Frankly, I don't see the need to improve on my slow fire accuracy game in light of all the problems I have on the clock.