Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax feeding issues

Well let me start at the beginning. Bought versamax and sent it directly to the gunsmith to have the carrier welded. I shot one practice session with it before a match and every other shell hung up on the right side of the chamber. The gun was sent back and fixed.

At the match the gun ran fine except it left the last shell sitting on the lifter with the bolt locked back forcing me to watch a clay crash to the ground. After the match I trimmed a new mag spring to fit the Roulette Tactical +2 extension and while practicing loading when cycling shells the bolt would lock back with a shell on the lifter about 50% of the time. So I took the inner feed latch spring out and now when you load it up and press the shell release button a new shell will not drop down about 75% of the time. I put the inner spring back in last night and the shell on the lifter is still a problem.

My question is do I just keep shooting it with both feed latch springs installed and hope the action wears enough that it will cycle 100% or is there something else I am missing? Sorry for the long story. Thanks.

Take out the inner spring and bend the shell release a little until it still works and lets a shell drop, OR simply load the tube and ghost load one on the carrier for empty chamber start, or load tube full and then put one in chamber.

Take a file or dremel and notch a little out of the right side edge of the chamber till it feeds. This is a common issue with welded lifters. The reason that open "U" of death is in there in the first place is to keep the shell centered up to the chamber.

(guess I didnt read the rest of the post, Listen to Benny)

Edited by Tacticalk9

One answer and one question.

If you have a shell hanging on the right side of the chamber you can blend back the sharp edge of the right side of the chamber with the barrel removed. Your shell should indicate this hanging with a sharp notch cut into the edge of the crimp.

I have the same problem with the shell latch not feeding a shell with 9 in the tube. I have removed the inner spring, cut the U a little bigger and polished the hell out of the latch. I thinking I should put that spring back or cut a little off the mag tube spring. Right now running +1 roulette ext with stock mag spring. Which way should I go to get reliable shell latch release with 9 in the tube?

I thinking I should put that spring back or cut a little off the mag tube spring. Right now running +1 roulette ext with stock mag spring. Which way should I go to get reliable shell latch release with 9 in the tube?

Put the spring back in. It helps, not hurts, feeding and makes loading easier too.

Take out the inner spring and bend the shell release a little until it still works and lets a shell drop, OR simply load the tube and ghost load one on the carrier for empty chamber start, or load tube full and then put one in chamber.

I thinking I should put that spring back or cut a little off the mag tube spring. Right now running +1 roulette ext with stock mag spring. Which way should I go to get reliable shell latch release with 9 in the tube?

Put the spring back in. It helps, not hurts, feeding and makes loading easier too.

So thats one for take the spring out and one for leave the spring in. Ha

Benny,

Can you go into a little more detail about bending of the shell release(location, etc.) to improve feeding. I want to make sure I am doing this right and not messing things up more. Thanks again.

The bolt is released when the rim of the next shell cams the back half of the latch outward. If the bolt is locking open, the chances are the shell is not hitting the latch with enough force. Try installing a new and UNCUT magazine spring and see if it cures your problem. If it runs 100%, only trim the mag spring very cautiously.

If you switched to an aftermarket magazine follower, you could also try reverting to the OEM plastic follower to confirm it is not the problem.

Edited by StealthyBlagga