Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely EXF Limited

eric nielsen

Oh I see, you get all the weight of a full size, the sight radius of a rule, and the light mass of the slide for faster cycling. Very sweet. Need to see this in some video for sure!!

Will post video once it arrives in my hands. I told Matt what I wanted in general & let him decide on the details of design and appearance. I wanted to be sure I had some of the forward balance of an Edge type pistol (never owned one, like how they shoot) so this has a LW dust cover cut back a little. Possibly in the future we'll cut it back more or leave it and add a tungsten rod. There's very little weight on the front 3" of the gun as is.

Barrel hood to front end is 7.0", same as my Open gun. Actual sight radius is right around 9 inches. Nothing stopping someone from using a SDC and/or even longer EXF and go out to 10 or 11. Matt shot it and says there is no apparent aerodynamic effect; the EXF shape is 100% his idea and it looks really good.

The racker and DAA thumb rest (again) are a close match to my Open gun. Friend let me try the GoGuns product but it pushed my thumb clear up and over the top of the slide. If you have normal size hands you could use either part.

Edited by eric nielsen

So who is gonna be the geriatric old timer who comes in and says that limited is ruined and that this is just an open gun?

C'mon, we know you are out there, waiting to tell us about your Ernie Hill Speed Leader days.

LOL.

Sweet blaster. My gunsmith has done a couple of guns like this lately utilizing blank extensions/comps to increase the radius.

We need a match report!

So who is gonna be the geriatric old timer who comes in and says that limited is ruined and that this is just an open gun?

C'mon, we know you are out there, waiting to tell us about your Ernie Hill Speed Leader days.

LOL.

Sweet blaster. My gunsmith has done a couple of guns like this lately utilizing blank extensions/comps to increase the radius.

We need a match report!

Jared,

You got me, started in 1979, but I don't think Limited is ruined. And I did use some Ernie Hill gear, but mine

was made of "Leather" :) Beautiful pistol.

Ron

I talked to Matt about this very concept and almost had him build me one. I was to afraid to spend the coin on something that I have never shot before. Please post a video and an extensive review. I was worried about the slow transition swinging the gun from target to target not so much in the weight but in the loooooong sight radius. I am sure the sight radius helps on long and tight shots.

Keep us updated on your progress with the pistol.

Jeff

is that sight radius extender going to act as a reverse comp?

Im wondering the same thing....

An AK slant comp helps to keep the muzzle down....

That is basically a slant comp upside down. I'd be a little worried it's going to push the muzzle up.....??

Just thinking out loud.

There's no holes to direct gasses up or down. It's just adding sight radius and a little weight to the barrel. It's not a compensator. I personally love the idea, and think it looks really slick. Nice job, Matt!

There's no holes to direct gasses up or down. It's just adding sight radius and a little weight to the barrel. It's not a compensator. I personally love the idea, and think it looks really slick. Nice job, Matt!

No one said there are holes for directing gas,

However, I am saying there COULD be a POSSIBILITY that the design could add to muzzle flip.

There are no holes in an AK slant brake, but it's purpose is to reduce muzzle climb.

I'm just saying that there is a possibility this design could operate on the same premise as a slant brake or A2 flash hider, only in reverse.

Talking about shooting less than 5 grains of N320 or TiteGroup through a 5.5" barrel - there's not a lot of gas to form aerodynamic lifting. Limited ammo is made to have minimal gas past the muzzle.

Maybe for fun some day I'll shoot Power Pistol through it with the lights turned off to see what the gas does but it's not a big concern now. Matt talked me into the cut-bottom design & he has the engineering degree. He knocked out these CAD drawings within a day or two of first talking about this build:

post-354-0-37044700-1367591492_thumb.jpg post-354-0-40531100-1367591505_thumb.jpg

I don't mind experimenting. If the shooting characteristics or a rules issue pops up (see Craig Custom Phantom, 1998), we can change the gun to something a little different. After going back to school for six years, I can do out-there stuff with a cutting-edge gunsmith & I'm into this for less than 2 weeks take-home pay.

The gun shoots really nice, it's put together absolutely perfect, and I'm still getting used to it. I took off the thumb rest already, I think those are better suited to an Open gun (subject of a later post, off to work soon). Still have to tweak the barrel extension design, will let you know when the final version is doing everything you would want it to do in a limited gun. Quick learning points - shots that I called out (A-zone surrounded by hardcover) were still good. That's the long sight radius, will have to learn just how well that setup points the gun (really really well). Match went well considering I had the gun about 22 hours at that point.

http://tbspc.org/RESULTS2013/match0505.html