Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170 mm mag setup for 9mm

That description says this...

"These pacers come in 170mm length with a little extra for fitting to your specific basepad. Not including a +2/3+ pad which you cant use on a 170 mag anyway. . Will need some final fitting for length and form of mag."

Maybe my Dawson +1 SNL base pads are the issue? Can you use these in Open do they out you over the legal length?

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000080D-1188407679

The STI spacers work with the stock STI base pads.

Jesse,

I have some of these Joey Hardy spacers in a couple of my open gun 170mm mags. I'm using the dawson basepads...I think they are the +1's, but definitely NOT the SNL's. Maybe that's the difference? However, with my +1's, I don't remember any issues with the spacer being too short. I can check when I get home from work.

Darren

"These pacers come in 170mm length with a little extra for fitting to your specific basepad. Not including a +2/3+ pad which you cant use on a 170 mag anyway. . Will need some final fitting for length and form of mag."

Maybe my Dawson +1 SNL base pads are the issue? Can you use these in Open do they out you over the legal length?

Jesse,

I have some of these Joey Hardy spacers in a couple of my open gun 170mm mags. I'm using the dawson basepads...I think they are the +1's, but definitely NOT the SNL's. Maybe that's the difference? However, with my +1's, I don't remember any issues with the spacer being too short. I can check when I get home from work.

Darren

Awesome! Thanks. I think the SNL are adding length and the stock STI spacers just aren't talk enough. I borrowed the base pads from my .40 limited gun. So I wanted to get it right before I ordered new pads.

Good call...earlier I was thinking (but forgot to post) that some people tack weld their spacers in. Glueing the plastic ones would work too. Just make sure to degrease the inside the of the mag first.

D

Glue the spacers in with a dab of hot glue so they don't rattle and are easily removable if you ever need to.

Good call...earlier I was thinking (but forgot to post) that some people tack weld their spacers in. Glueing the plastic ones would work too. Just make sure to degrease the inside the of the mag first.

D

Glue the spacers in with a dab of hot glue so they don't rattle and are easily removable if you ever need to.

I have had good luck with the plastic ones in my 140 9mm mags. I tried the metal ones too but wasn't in love with that rattle. They worked fine but it scared me.

Hate the rattle as well. I silicon mine in and pack the tube full of bubble wrap to hold the spacer in place until they cure. Joe hardy as well for me

I just put together a couple of spare big sticks using STI tubes, Hardy spacers, Grams 9mm followers, and Grams 4mm basepads. Feed lips needed a little taken off to fit the gauge. They hold a comfortable 28, and the spacer doesn't rattle.

These are not at all my preferred setup for a 9mm big stick, but it's what's available right now.

I just put together a couple of spare big sticks using STI tubes, Hardy spacers, Grams 9mm followers, and Grams 4mm basepads. Feed lips needed a little taken off to fit the gauge. They hold a comfortable 28, and the spacer doesn't rattle.

These are not at all my preferred setup for a 9mm big stick, but it's what's available right now.

What's your preferred setup?

It's diffantly ur snL pads... Already tried that and it's just a little to long and the spacer drops down slightly. U could glue it up that way it wouldn't matter....

I run metal spacers, grams and Dawson +1 on all my 170s & 140s

Hate the rattle as well. I silicon mine in and pack the tube full of bubble wrap to hold the spacer in place until they cure. Joe hardy as well for me

I like the rattle.... Every time someone not filmielar with them picks them up. They always say "hey something broke in ur mag". I just ok cool thanks ill check it out lol

Edited by calvinc78

I use Hardy spacers with Gram's springs and followers along with a Gram's 4 mm base pad. I don't glue the spacers in because they hold dirt and grit in the crevices. I want to get the mags clean after they ahve been ib the dirt or mud. They hold 29 rounds.

What's your preferred setup?

Pre-signature SV tube, Bolen/Taran guts, Dawson +1 (not SNL) or Bolen/Taran 3mm basepad, no spacer. Comfortable 29 rounds.

When I was getting started I talked to Grams, he suggested the 2.5 mm base pad with his 9mm spring and follower and the STI 170 tube. Holds 28 reloadable and you don't have to grind the feed lips to fit the gauge. My metal spacer was cut shy of the bottom of the mag body, by the thickness of an STI basepad retainer by the folks at Dawson. Grams said to bevel the exposed edge. Did that and glued the metal spacers in with RTV silicon, use Sarge's trick or styrofoam peanuts to hold everything in place. No failures in 4 years.

Speaking of gauges has anyone ever seen one at a match? I've never tried any of my mags In one. I'd have no clue if I was over or not until they measured them which would be too late.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Speaking of gauges has anyone ever seen one at a match? I've never tried any of my mags In one. I'd have no clue if I was over or not until they measured them which would be too late.

They were checking last year at Area 5. (Ray Hirst was driving around from stage to stage checking.)

First time I've ever seen them check. Usually you would check the mags at the chrono stage if they were going to do it.

I use STI 170mm tubes fron Thunder Mountian, Grams springs & followers, Joe Hardy SS Spacers, Dawson +1 SNL basepads. 29+1 and 28 reloadable. Had to take a little off the basepad to fit the guage. Spacers rattle, but I really don't care, spacers are a bit short but have not affected operation and the mags have run flawlessly for three years. Just need to change the springs out once in a while. Also have a Superior 170mm mag. The Joe Hardy SS spacer sits a tad high, Dawson +1 SNL basepads, 29+1 and 28 reloadable. It has Grams spring & follower. Runs flawlessly even though the spacer sits a tad high. Been running this one for three years also. Fits the guage as it came from Superior and does not rattle. I don't glue the spacers in the STI ones because I want to completely disassemble and clean.