Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New lone wolf G20-.40 barrel, no bueno

tortuga

So I sat down to chamber-check a big batch of rounds that I have been using in my CZ pistols, and after 300 without issue I ran the first one into the new Lone Wolf .40 S&W conversion for the Glock 20 it was no go. Could not seat with thumb pressure and need to pry out. Well, crap, I thought, maybe it is too long. Verified that the Load is a 200g TC hard lead at 1.125, works pretty well in every other .40 I have tried.

After a few more I started checking them backwards to see how far up the bulge was, and they slipped in fine. That seemed odd as I assumed they were binding up at the base. Closer inspection showed that one of the lands has a big ol' tool mark that is shaving lead off the bullet right up to the case, highlighted with the red arrow: best pic I could get with my iPhone.

post-34545-0-30034000-1367384028_thumb.j

I marked the case, rotated it and did it again just to verify. Case shown here - these two grooves are the only sign of contact on the bullet.

post-34545-0-55390400-1367384124_thumb.j

I picked this barrel up from a retail store so I could inspect it, as I had read a lot of stories similar to this one on line. Guess I didn't inspect it well enough. Needless to say this is going back. Very dissapointed, going with KKM next time if I can find one.

KKM should fix it and they could throat your chamber so you can load a longer oal. 1.12oal with a 200grn bullet is seating the bullet pretty deep. What kind of load are you running if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by ParaGunner

KKM should fix it and they could throat your chamber so you can load a longer oal. 1.12oal with a 200grn bullet is seating the bullet pretty deep. What kind of load are you running if you don't mind me asking?

I would be difficult to load much longer in a Glock because of the magazines.

Oops ,forgot it was a lone wolf.LW should fix it and see if they'll throat the chamber to take longer ammo. If your shooting a G20 then you should be able to load longer oal being a large frame glock.

Edited by ParaGunner

I agree with ParaGunner. Right now you are better off getting LW to fix the barrel rather than trying to find (or wait for backorder) on a KKM barrel. Call LW and when they correct the problem include a dummy round (you should be able to load to 1.170 or so) and I am sure LW will ream the barrel out to fit the ammo.

Thanks for the replies. I might go the longer throat route, but would like to avoid it as I have several .40 cal pistols and would prefer to have all similar ammo work in everything with the same chamber. I have neck-sized ammo for different .223 rifles and have loaded "rifle/TC" only pistol rounds but also realize how easy it is to make a mistake.

I guess this post might have been premature as I had not approached LWD first but I was a little frustrated. IMHO this thing should not have gone past QC.

Is this common for LW barrels? I was thinking about getting one to replace my factory barrel, but I seem to keep hearing about issues with LW. Would KKM or some other barrel be a better choice?