Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load suggestions for Commander

B Dub

Just started reloading .45. I am loading just for range practice. PF not an issue for me at this point. My issue...loaded a batch and tried to load light to avoid any over pressure issues. Every one fired through my 4.25 inch Fusion CCO failed to feed. Feeds fine with factory loads. So I ran them through my 5 in. SpringfieldnTRP with no issues. I know now I need a heavier load for the 4.25 in. Do not want to go to a lighter spring. I do not have the luxury to load a few, go to the range for test fire, go back to reload and make adjustments, back to range, etc. Due to proximity.

I am using 200 gr. Ranier Leadsafes, mixed brass, Winchester large primers, and WST. Can someone suggest load data that may run reliably in a commander without maxing out on powder charge, or at least will be safe. I don't like to push the envelope. Justntrying to save a few extra trips back and forth.

Thanks!

Is the problem actually feeding versus cycling the slide? If its really a feeding issue Id be looking at slightly changing OAL versus springs. If the issue is that its short cycling or the slide is not moving back far enough to pick up the next round then it might be as simple as upping the charge by .2 to overcome the extra spring weight in the Commander. Assuming you are not close to max you can load up a couple at +.2, a couple more at +.4, etc and test in one trip. I don't use WST so I can't help with load data but you should be able to find a load they both like.

Edited by Dirty Rod

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Dirty Rod! I think you are correct in that it is a cycling issue. I check all of my rounds in an EGW case gauge and all look good. I am going to give your suggestion a try. Thanks again.

Dirty Rod had the right idea. You didn't answer his question, are the rounds not feeding reliably or is the empty brass not ejecting or is the slide not moving back far enough to pick up a new round? Just because the rounds fit the case gauge does NOT mean they will feed in your gun. If you are wondering how to check feed, take a few reloaded rounds, put them in the magazine, then place two proven factory rounds on top. Load mag in gun, chamber a round, fire, fire the next factory round, does the reloaded round feed into the chamber? If so, then your rounds feed, if not, you may need to change length of your reloads or worst case, change the bullets you have. Now if the reloads are feeding in the gun, take an empty mag, place a couple of proven factory rounds in the mag, place a reload on top of mag, load mag, chamber the reload, fire it, does the gun feed the factory round? If so, you are not short stroking & have a more complicated issue. If it short strokes & doesn't feed the factory round, you need more pressure, aka more powder. If the reload you fired didn't eject, you need quite a bit more pressure, if it ejected but didn't feed the factory, your ammo is close to working. Does that make sense?

Edited to add be sure you are not loading beyond book recommended load data. If you are at or near maximum powder charge, you will need to use a different powder. DO NOT GO BEYOND THE BOOK, especially if you are a new reloader!!!

Edited by mlmiller1