Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some SVI build help...

Cundiff5535

Hey guys, I am going to sell a few of my pistols that I do not use that much and dive into a full custom 1911. I understand that full custom means that its going to be what ever I want it to be but, I am looking for some help.

I have only ever owned a traditional 1911... Specifically Kimber and S.A.

In saying that, can anyone give some input on pistol frames? Round or Square...

I am also looking for benefits of the sight tracker type pistol... Looks like the barrel is cut into the frame... what is the actual benefit of that or why is it done?

Additionally, I will probably have 3 of these made in total (not all at once). Does anyone know what a standard pistol with very few cuts starts at? I just want to know going in what the starting range is... 2k,3k,5k...etc.

Thanks

I like the looks of the square trigger guard. That decision is purely aesthetic. Unless you are talking about a limited gun, or a non competition gun, the sight tracker isn't a good idea. It's not legal for SS division.

Sight trackers add non reciprocating weight to the muzzle end of the gun. It also keeps the sight still. It is easier for me to track in recoil than a traditional setup but not overly so. I think it is more about having the latest and greatest than any huge functional advantage.

Take a look at the limited super squad and most of them were running 5" long dust cover guns with bull barrels.

The build that I put together years ago was for a SS in 40 and it was around $4k.

I had a 5" & 6" top end built for a LDC Limited gun. About $5,500 all in.

Decided that the 6" was too heavy on the LDC and am having that topend fitted to an SDC frame.

Do the Gunbuilder as has been suggested. Brandon will give you a call toconfirm any details and provide you with a no obligatoon quote.

Good luck.

Well start taking money out of your 401K :surprise:

I have several SVs--outstanding pistols, well worth the money.

Square Trigger Guard for sure.

Look at the 5.4 model. Roy Neal who posts here has one (or five). It is a great compromise.

Get the tri-top or more--get the most lines on it. It definitely looks cooler.

There are several grips, I changed to the enhanced model (similar to the CZ) and have not regretted it.

I prefer a thin front blade.

Their new rear sight sits lower than the standard.

Order magazines at the same time. It may take them away to get them back in stock.

post-11054-0-79113000-1367442687_thumb.j

This is a help so far... It seems like there is even more than I can do than just gun builder. To be honest, I keep going back and forth as I own quite a few 1911's I do not shoot them all that much. I am thinking of letting all but one or two of them go and upgrade to 2 SVi pistols. Probably 1 45acp and 1 9mm but, thats still up in the air. I wish there was a way to get a mock up of what the pistol would look like after it was done on the builder. I can tell you, typically I am not a small think line guy... like on my cocking serations etc... but, on some the SV's they do look so sweet. The last thing I need to to order a few pistols and not be happy cosmetically. I just keep searching for pics and then thinking... ok, I like this, I dont like this... and then will throw it all in one!

It would be sweet to get into a used one at a nice price but, who knows if that is even realistic... I have a WTB ad in the classifieds.

What do you guys think the trigger pull weight should be? I am kind of thinking 1-1.5 but, some have said to go lighter. Just to clarify I do not shoot any kind of competition (as of right now)... I just love nice pistols and putting very small groups into a piece of paper... BTW, I am not the kind of person who thinks that the more expensive the pistol the better I will shoot... I know I not out shooting the Kimbers and Springfield's I own... I just want to get into a full custom or semi custom at some point... seems like a good time now:)

There is such a thing as too light of a trigger. What are you currently accustomed to? What are you going to use the guns for? Competition only or ????

A good, clean breaking 2lb trigger, with very little overtravel, is a thing of beauty on a limited gun.

My progression was from a 4lb to 2.+ to a 2.0 to a <2lb.

Personally, I like a little over travel. Not enough and I slam the trigger putting the round about 4 inches low. So my over travel is probably way less than stock but a little more than none.

I forgot to add the finish; mine are hard chromed via Kodiak Precision. But the SV coating are the cats meow.

Talk to Brandon about serrations. He can do some great things. As you see, mine are different but very very effective. I like the 'Infinity" serrations.

I had a 5" & 6" top end built for a LDC Limited gun. About $5,500 all in

Decided that the 6" was too heavy on the LDC and am having that topend fitted to an SDC frame.

Do the Gunbuilder as has been suggested. Brandon will give you a call to confirm any details and provide you with a no obligation quote.

Good luck.

Yeah, on terms of trigger, my CZ CTS custom and S&W 52-2 are just kick ass... The 52 and CZ do have some over travel but not out of controll... The CZ is just under 2lbs and my 52 is just over 2.3.... I am used to both an preffer the lighter.

Since I am not going to be shooting competition, for now... I think I am leaning toward around 1-1.5 with a little over travel.