Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA rule book teaser...?

NicVerAZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about you can initiate a reload in the open if you go empty, but you can't shoot until you reach cover?

I'm sure that as a result of that rule, no one would round dump a round or two in the open so that they could then reload on the move. ;)

Do awa

How about you can initiate a reload in the open if you go empty, but you can't shoot until you reach cover?

I'm sure that as a result of that rule, no one would round dump a round or two in the open so that they could then reload on the move. ;)

Do away with round dumping rule.

Why can't CDP be for SS only and allow .40 major?????

There are too many guys running double stack .45s (Glocks, M&Ps, etc.) that would be pissed off if it was SS only. I do agree with the .40 major or any other round that can safely make 165pf.

SS = single stack

Right, I understand that SS means single-stack. My question is, does anyone care if a gun is literally single-stack, or does the already-existing 8-round limit do what we want it to do?

I think the 8-round limit works just fine and takes away any undue advantage to using a smaller round, like .40 or .38 super, that manages to make "major" power factor -- so allowing them into CDP wouldn't disrupt anything.

SS = single stack

Right, I understand that SS means single-stack. My question is, does anyone care if a gun is literally single-stack, or does the already-existing 8-round limit do what we want it to do?

I think the 8-round limit works just fine and takes away any undue advantage to using a smaller round, like .40 or .38 super, that manages to make "major" power factor -- so allowing them into CDP wouldn't disrupt anything.

Well... I was shooting a 9mm 1911 in ESP and I switched to a 2011 and found the reloads to be much easier. I assume CDP would be the same, using a larger tapered mag makes it easire to grab the mag from your belt and easier to get it into the gun. My mag pouches for CDP are Blackhawk and are very tight to my body so it takes a couple extra tenths to get the mags out and get them to the gun. Those are the only reasons I see to not allow double stack guns into what should be a single stack division.

Per the current rules the only time you can ever shoot in the open, if there is any cover on the stage, would be at the beginning of the stage, while retreating to cover. Designing for revolver neutral would leave you with 6 shots, at the beginning of a stage. So likely not an issue, if the rules are followed in the COF design.

I was shooting a 9mm 1911 in ESP and I switched to a 2011 and found the reloads to be much easier. I assume CDP would be the same, using a larger tapered mag makes it easire to grab the mag from your belt and easier to get it into the gun.

Good point, Paul. Right now, .45 ACP Glocks and other double-stack pistols are legal, as are 1911s with decent-sized mag wells. Would a .40 offer much advantage over those? Edited by Not-So-Mad Matt

Why can't CDP be for SS only and allow .40 major?????

Because that would be stupid. Singles stacks already have their own protected class in USPSA. If you want to shoot a division with nothing but other antique designs, then get out of idpa. I love whooping on 1911's with a glock 21.

I do agree with the .40 major or any other round that can safely make 165pf.

The old rules allowed other rounds but they changed it to 45 only. Nothing says "man gun" like 45. If JMB had made it a .510 it would have been even better.

FWIW if you want to shoot "girly" diameter bullets at 165, they already have a division for you, as they already allow 9mm major in ESR.

The old rules allowed other rounds but they changed it to 45 only. Nothing says "man gun" like 45. If JMB had made it a .510 it would have been even better.

FWIW if you want to shoot "girly" diameter bullets at 165, they already have a division for you, as they already allow 9mm major in ESR.

I suppose .45ACP counts as a "real" round, if your wrists can't handle the 10mm. :devil:

Seriously... just go back to the original rulebook... it was great. Every change they have made since has made things worse, not better.

I found it strange that Glocks come under SSP and XD's come under ESP. Both are striker fired weapons that bring the striker back to some extent every shot. Both shoupd be in the same division.

Because when the rules were being created, Springfield foolishly listed the XD as "Single Action" on their web page, as well as having an ATF certification of "Single Action".

The ATF classified the Glocks as "Double Action", due to the fact the striker is only partially cocked and pulling the trigger finishes it up.

XD's are so unpopular in IDPA, it always seemed like an odd thing to complain about. I wouldn't be suprised if they are SSP legal in the new rule book though.

Ted

You mean I can't tell people to get a Glock or Smith and quit whining about it ..........makes Sad Panda Face.

Yeah the problem is the old slow guys don't have the same gripes as the younger faster guys and most of the time they don't agree...

Yes but they've been hearing us for a while.

Why do I have to cover the bottom part of my body?

Why isn't my XDM in SSP?

Why aren't DA/SA guns in one category, safe action in another?

Why should I always have to cut the pie if the 2nd or 3rd guy has a more dangerous firearm?

If I run really quick in front of that window, there is no way they can shoot me?

Etc... Etc...

Personally the rules are all fine for me, I shoot IDPA and USPSA, two different fun games, different rules. At least in IDPA production shooters are on an equal footing and overall classification makes sense.

The only gripe I have agreed with so far is the XDm thing, but that's me.

I've said it before in other threads, but just go with two semi-auto pistol divisions:

MAJSAP: would be the major power factor semi-auto pistols, could be .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP, etc. etc. loaded to just 8+1. major PF floor would still be 165

MINSAP: mainly all the 9mm's, but .38 Supers, .40S&W, etc, etc, that could be loaded to 10+1

no attention is paid to the action type, doesn't matter if it is single action, DAO, DA/SA, "safe action", etc.

also, change up the order of the classifier match "script" . one of the strings in stage 1 has you going forward to paste headshots that have dropped down into the body, IIRC.

So STI Eagles would dominant both divisions. That will NEVER HAPPEN. They are adamant about not going after "those shooters" to increase the membership

The ruling definitely needs to change with regard to this short brass use with revolvers and calibers written on the barrel. What do you care what I'm doing under my hood? It's a game that I'm playing to the best of my ability and as long as I make speed and weight let me be.

I think they should go to a light and heavy power factor for every division to be recognized separately. Some folks want to run a single stack DA 9mm or a .38SC with moonclips? Done.

Plastic pistols should all play together and if you don't want me to add weight to it....don't have a weight limit 10 ounces over what my gun weighs. I have the right to make it weigh whatever I want on the street and I should be able to add weight to my gun to make it weigh the same as the maximum for the division.

Reloads should be allowed in the open if you run dry. No you shouldn't leave a cover position with an empty gun, but possibly getting shot in the back because I run away to reload is silly.

No tac reloads or RWR for a revolver shooter. It's ridiculous asking someone to shove a half used moonclip or mixed brass into a pocket for use later.

I was shooting a 9mm 1911 in ESP and I switched to a 2011 and found the reloads to be much easier. I assume CDP would be the same, using a larger tapered mag makes it easire to grab the mag from your belt and easier to get it into the gun.

Good point, Paul. Right now, .45 ACP Glocks and other double-stack pistols are legal, as are 1911s with decent-sized mag wells. Would a .40 offer much advantage over those?

No, I agree that .40 or 10mm should both be allowed into CDP but I do feel there is a slight advantage to the plastic double stack guns over the single stack. My 1911 will never drop the slide by itself when I seat a fresh mag but I have never owned a glock that didn't do it on every reload. That is also an advantage IMHO

The auto dropping slide is nothing more than a well seated magazine moving the entire gun under a slide release with a thumb camped upon it. Hold your thumb out to the side off the pistol and see what I'm talking about. Magic stops.

Yeah the problem is the old slow guys don't have the same gripes as the younger faster guys and most of the time they don't agree...

Yes but they've been hearing us for a while.

Why do I have to cover the bottom part of my body?

Why isn't my XDM in SSP?

Why aren't DA/SA guns in one category, safe action in another?

Why should I always have to cut the pie if the 2nd or 3rd guy has a more dangerous firearm?

If I run really quick in front of that window, there is no way they can shoot me?

Etc... Etc...

Personally the rules are all fine for me, I shoot IDPA and USPSA, two different fun games, different rules. At least in IDPA production shooters are on an equal footing and overall classification makes sense.

The only gripe I have agreed with so far is the XDm thing, but that's me.

I've said it before in other threads, but just go with two semi-auto pistol divisions:

MAJSAP: would be the major power factor semi-auto pistols, could be .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP, etc. etc. loaded to just 8+1. major PF floor would still be 165

MINSAP: mainly all the 9mm's, but .38 Supers, .40S&W, etc, etc, that could be loaded to 10+1

no attention is paid to the action type, doesn't matter if it is single action, DAO, DA/SA, "safe action", etc.

also, change up the order of the classifier match "script" . one of the strings in stage 1 has you going forward to paste headshots that have dropped down into the body, IIRC.

So you'd have everyone shooting wide body 1911s in both divisions huh? Sounds like ISPC.