Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA rule book teaser...?

NicVerAZ

If you are a member you probably got the email announcing the rule book... soon.

[rant]

Is this supposed to be a teaser?

"The greatly anticipated IDPA new rule book..."

Please, just show us the rules, tell us what is specifically new and let's move on.

And you wonder why USPSA shooters make fun of the IDPA rule book?

Geesh.

[/rant]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the problem is the old slow guys don't have the same gripes as the younger faster guys and most of the time they don't agree...

Yes but they've been hearing us for a while.

Why do I have to cover the bottom part of my body?

Why isn't my XDM in SSP?

Why aren't DA/SA guns in one category, safe action in another?

Why should I always have to cut the pie if the 2nd or 3rd guy has a more dangerous firearm?

If I run really quick in front of that window, there is no way they can shoot me?

Etc... Etc...

Personally the rules are all fine for me, I shoot IDPA and USPSA, two different fun games, different rules. At least in IDPA production shooters are on an equal footing and overall classification makes sense.

The only gripe I have agreed with so far is the XDm thing, but that's me.

With few exceptions, we want our fellow shooters to cover their bottom halves.

Why isn't my XDM in SSP?

Why should different actions get different divisions?

Why should I always have to cut the pie if the 2nd or 3rd guy has a more dangerous firearm?

Can't a stage designer define the tactical priority for a stage? "You must shoot this target first..."

With few exceptions, we want our fellow shooters to cover their bottom halves.

Funny :)

Those are not my questions, by the way.

I have no issues with the rules as they are. If you don't like the rules, don't play the game.

Why isn't my XDM in SSP?

Why should different actions get different divisions?

I found it strange that Glocks come under SSP and XD's come under ESP. Both are striker fired weapons that bring the striker back to some extent every shot. Both shoupd be in the same division.

I found it strange that Glocks come under SSP and XD's come under ESP. Both are striker fired weapons that bring the striker back to some extent every shot. Both shoupd be in the same division.

Because when the rules were being created, Springfield foolishly listed the XD as "Single Action" on their web page, as well as having an ATF certification of "Single Action".

The ATF classified the Glocks as "Double Action", due to the fact the striker is only partially cocked and pulling the trigger finishes it up.

XD's are so unpopular in IDPA, it always seemed like an odd thing to complain about. I wouldn't be suprised if they are SSP legal in the new rule book though.

Ted

Edited by Ted Murphy

If we are going to list the ones that don't make sense, why can you put 38 in a 357, put 44spl in a 44mag, 9mm in a 38 super but you can't put 45gap in a 45acp?

I think more problems actually exist in the "leeway" given to specific COF (aka making up rules that do not exist) than most that are written.

However, you still have some that are just not smart "in real life self defense" like it being a procedural for taking any action to reload while running for cover. Even if you are running for cover to complete your reload, how would it be a bad idea to have the full mag already in hand once you get there?

If seconds count playing a game, they most certainly would in real life too.

Edited by jmorris

Yeah the problem is the old slow guys don't have the same gripes as the younger faster guys and most of the time they don't agree...

Yes but they've been hearing us for a while.

Why isn't my XDM in SSP?

If I run really quick in front of that window, there is no way they can shoot me?

Etc... Etc...

Personally the rules are all fine for me, I shoot IDPA and USPSA, two different fun games, different rules. At least in IDPA production shooters are on an equal footing and overall classification makes sense.

The only gripe I have agreed with so far is the XDm thing, but that's me.

I've said it before in other threads, but just go with two semi-auto pistol divisions:

MAJSAP: would be the major power factor semi-auto pistols, could be .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm, .45 ACP, etc. etc. loaded to just 8+1. major PF floor would still be 165

MINSAP: mainly all the 9mm's, but .38 Supers, .40S&W, etc, etc, that could be loaded to 10+1

no attention is paid to the action type, doesn't matter if it is single action, DAO, DA/SA, "safe action", etc.

also, change up the order of the classifier match "script" . one of the strings in stage 1 has you going forward to paste headshots that have dropped down into the body, IIRC.

Deleted original reply. I talked to Kitty this past weekend, they are still working on it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have.

Edited by Cd662

I like the idea of min/major regardless of action idea.

I like the here are the bad guys they need 2 shots body one shot head you figure out how to do it rather than the over explained way now.

Wouldn't mind seeing the ability to shoot my 5" edge pistol in ssp or esp. i don't see why the barrel bushing makes a difference that's just me. I like playing this game and it is just that a game.

I commend the tiger team on their diligence to do this and look forward to see what they have come up with.

What difference does it make if 1) my gun has a full length dust cover? 2) how much it weighs? 3) the rules give some RO the ability to make some ridiculously subjective call because he didn't think of something I did? Oh wait, that makes me a "gamer" but oh wait it IS a freaking GAME!

What difference does it make if 1) my gun has a full length dust cover? 2) how much it weighs?

I don't understand why the IDPA rules would disallow anything, unless it was (1) helpful in competition, yet (2) impractical in real life. I don't see how a full-length dust cover falls into either category. A weight limit, on the other hand, makes sense, although the exact point where they draw the line is necessarily arbitrary.

I would like to see multiple size-and-weight divisions, rather than trigger-action divisions, because that's the real trade-off people are making. Plenty of people carry small guns specifically because they're small, even if a bigger gun would be more effective.

Edited by Not-So-Mad Matt

Speed reloads should always be legal.

I actually think that speed reloads should sometimes be legal. The trick is figuring out what rule would lead to some speed reloads but plenty of slide-lock reloads, because in real life -- as the prevailing wisdom goes -- you're likely to shoot until you're empty, and you won't be planning your exact round-count against known threats.

Perhaps this would work: A shooter stuck in the open with an empty gun may start a slide-lock reload immediately. Behind cover a shooter may perform a speed reload.