Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Liability Release Forms and Damage to Property Liability Forms

I'm looking for assistance in making a couple of liability forms used at matches.

The first being a liability release form to be signed by a competitor to not hold the event holder or range responsible for any injuries or damage they may sustain while participating in the event.

The second is some sort of agreement form that the competitor must agree to not use steel core, incendiary, or armor piercing ammunition at a match or be held liable for damages caused by their use.

If anyone has any info or format that they could share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jomar

jvillamor1@hotmail.com

Is a lawyer going to review the docs? IIRC, some states, including my home state of Florida, have laws that make these types of forms useless. My club still has them, but sometimes an entity can't use a form to cover their butts no matter what.

I have worked on many cases where release's had been executed and I have still not seen one stand up in court. Post #3 is to be considered as well.

The more general and "common man" you make it, the better the chances. Release forms that force the competitor to "acknowledge" firearms are "inherently dangerous" are sure to be skirted by any competent attorney with even a half decent expert. The forms that force the competitor to sign away theirs rights even if someone else is negligent also won't withstand a good legal challenge.

The conservative path to take is to draft a release form that includes acknowledgement of the 4 laws of gun safety and a positive affirmation that they will follow them. Then a portion that states the participant will accept all liability for their failure to follow the four guns laws and that they will defend the range, staff and officials for any action brought against them as a result of their failure to follow the 4 guns laws. The cuter you get, the more the legalese, the easier it is to get them tossed.

I am not an attorney, and this is not legal advice. But it is based on my experience as an expert witness in the court system on cases where the 4 gun laws were not followed.

Yeah, you really need to consult with an attorney in your state who specializes in civil litigation, rather than rely on information you gather from the internet. There is already plenty of well-intentioned but misguided information in this thread, and this is only post #5.

Thanks for the input from everyone so far. This is all new to me and I'm gathering info as I go along. I'm part of a small and loosely organized group of guys that hold matches at host ranges. Even though we are loosely organized, we are still a recognized group to those who attend our matches. Technically, the matches we hold are the host range's match as our group does not get any money. So technically, liabilty coverage falls on the host range. But I just want to give me and my group a little added protection.

We all love the good old honor system where it is accepted that getting hurt is an inherent risk to participating, and that you do so willingly and without bad intentions. But we know thats not the way the world operates now a days. I know that there is no magic document that will outright protect anyone. And I know that no document will stop anyone from pursuing a lawsuit. But something is better than nothing in my opinion.

With that little tidbit of information, realize that without some form of corporation, the attorneys may come after you personally putting you at risk...if something bad were to happen. A properly formed corporation will protect you more than the release form. Lawyers twist everything to their clients benefit, that is their job and ultimately what puts money in their pockets. That is also the professional largely running our country, so we can see how well things are going there.