Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers being pressed in sideways

Jan R.

Hi All

I'm having an issue with primers being pressed in sideways. I'm loading .45 ACP in an XL650. Wolf Large Pistol primers, mixed brass. I load the primers with an RF-100 auto primer filler.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jan

I vote for out of spec primers. I have also experienced this same problem. Also, I had difficulties in trying to get some primers into the pickup tubes when trying to pick them up off of the flip tray.

They are wolf primers which I don't normally use but picked them up during the great shortage of '08. I had one jammed in the primer filler so that's probably it.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Jan

• 1 month later...

Just had this same problem. The shell plate was not rotating all the way to center. The primer was being seated to one side of the primer pocket causing it to flip sideways. Mine was caused by the wrong locater pins, #2 instead of #3. This caused just enough drag on the casings to misalign the shell plate.

Check to make sure that you don't have the shell plate or primer plate too tight. A good cleaning and greasing may help as well.

Edited by iamdann

Hmmmm........I too have about 1 or 2 per 100 that are pressed in at about a 20 degree angle. I use my finger to slow the casing rotating on the shell plate approaching stage 4 to avoid the spilled primer due to the bump of the shell plate locking in. I did not want to do the bearing fix.

Thanks for the drag idea...........might be the problem.