Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time for a new Range Bag... help

Cundiff5535

Hey gang, so I had a CED competition range bag which held up for only 1 year. Pretty pathetic... not only was the bag crap (I know some have had luck with these but, I am now done with CED all together) the customer service was pathetic to. It took FIVE call ins for someone to even get me an answer on why the bag is failing. Once I did get a call back, I was basically treated like the bad guy and manager (or whoever the hell they said he was) told me that he has a hard time believing my story.

So here is how it went... Hey I have had your top of the line range bag for 1 year... I do not shoot competitions so this has realistically been brought the the range a total of 15 times. The bag is falling apart and collapsing on me. I asked for my money back as I was not satisfied with the product and in opinion the quality was unacceptable for the price being charged. The gentleman told me he had looked over the bag and inspected it and it didnt "look that bad"? I explained that the sides of the bag were caving in and already completely deformed aften 15 times used. How is that "not that bad"?? I also told him that the seams inside the bag were breaking and coming apart where the pistol pockets are located. He told me that he did not see any signs of that? So I told him that when I originally bought the bag, the rep that I spoke to informed me that the bags were made in the USA (Umm, by the way, its not... if I wanted a piece of crap made in China, I would have bought a Midway bag that is half the price) and had a no questions asked warranty against the things I was complaining about. The gentleman says.. "well I do not see any signs of the bag coming apart. What would you like me to do?" I kindly ask for a full refund so that I can buy an American product (which your rep told me this was) that also comes with a lifetime warranty. He says NO. He then says "you did not return the brass bag and pistol sleeve that come with the bag... Do you expect us to cover that?"

Whoa....

I in a pretty rude voice I respond as such, well... if you go and OPEN the bag, you will find those items along with everything else the bag originally came with. If you didn't know that those items were in there or see them in there, how did you "closely examine the bag bud?" I then asked if this guy was serious and told him I would never buy another product from CED again because of his ignorance and ability to stick to the warranty the bag came with. After feeling like a total dumbass the guy tells me, well, we will not refund your money but, we will sent you out a product of your liking which totals up to be the same cost but, you are going to have to pay the shipping... what a bunch of bullshit. So not only do I have to pay for the original shipping of the product, and then the shipping back to CED because the bag is crap, but... I also have to repay the shipping on a product that I do not want. The guy tells me, "well, we surely are not going to pay it"... lol. What a classy bunch of guys over at Competitive Edge.

So, I guess I am stuck and will just order a new CED bag and resell it. For anyone looking for one, I'll have it in the classifieds section when I get the thing. I am sure that this one will be better but, I am done with these clowns and am sticking to my commitment of buying American and not dealing with CED again...

So I am going to replace this bag with one of the following bags... I am looking for reviews, thoughts, or experience on ONLY three bags. I am not looking for any other bag so, no need to tell me that you have had great luck with the Midway bag, or the SS Bag, or any other (I know there are some great bags out there and a lot of you guys have had awesome things to say about them)I have read up on all of them, this is what its down to.

First bag is the Bag Master Pro Shooter's Bag (http://www.bagmaster.com/cart/products/1/Suede%20Leather%20Pro%20Shooters%20Bag%20Small.htm)

Second Bag is the iShot Ashburn (http://www.ishot-inc.com/store/Ashburn_Range_Bag)

Third is the Brownells Signature series leather range bag (http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/range-bags/signature-series-leather-range-bag-prod18380.aspx)

The Brownells and Bag Master bag are basically identical bags... the iShot is nice as well but, much cheaper. This is the last time I want to buy a bag so price is not really a factor. Thoughts, experience and help will be much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bobby C

Edited by Cundiff5535

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I don't think I would expect a full refund, only a replacement. Why haven't you considered the Shooter's Connection bag. I've been using the large one for about 3 years. It's holding it's shape, zippers all work, no stitching coming undone, retaining it's shape. It's a great bag. I got an I-Shot bag a few years ago, used it for a year and the seams started coming undone. To their credit, they replaced the bag.

I have the smaller Midway bag and it's a decent bag for the price, but when I replace it, I'm going to get this one:

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Shooters-Connection-Tournament-Series-Shooting-Bag-Ultra-Red-P2311.aspx

KMCA, the only reason I expected a full refund is because the rep who sold me the bag said "Its guaranteed for life, no questions asked" and that they would provide a full refund if there was EVER a problem... when I sent it back, I am told no and lied to. I would have been happy with them replacing the bag but, the whole thing left a crappy taste in my mouth. Maybe I am unrealistic about what I expect out of companies and how I want to be treated. I run my own business differently... I guess I can not expect folks to be me.

With that said, I at least expect to be told the truth, and not lied to several times... I do not understand this... when companies lie, just say sorry and move one... no need to cover a lie with a lie...

I will probably avoid the iShot bag since you are the second person I have heard complain about the seams...

The other thing that is very important to me is that I want a bag that is made in the USA. With all the B.S that is going on in the world, and all the crap with companies moving production to Mexico, China, etc... (I do not blame them as our corporate taxes in America are outrageous) I want to support folks that have decided to stay here and make a product here where I live. Even if it does cost a little more!

And... I really think I want a Suede bag... Nothing against the SS bag. I hear nothing but good things about them (Its basically the exact same bag as the CED bag)!

Edited by Cundiff5535

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hard to find a bag made in USA. Hard to find anything made in USA actually. SC bags are extremely good bags but yes they are pretty much CED bags.

Sounds like you got a bad bag and poor experience. Kind of a perfect storm.

I realize that the Midway bag seems to be a dirty word, but mine has performed admirably for more than 3 years now. I see quite a number of these bags at matches, and don't know anyone personally, who was disappointed with theirs. At half the price of most other bags, its a tough deal to walk away from.

Hello: Of the 3 you listed I would get the Bagmaster. I use the Shooters Connection bags. Chuck stand by his products and is great to deal with. The Shooters Connection bag seems to be made with thicker material than the CED bags I've seen. The Maxpedition bags are made off shore as well as the I-Shot bags. Leather is not a good choice if you get some rain. Don't get me started on the Midway bag--arg. Thanks, Eric

Eric, yes, you are correct, Chuck is a good dude... Got me set up today for a few internal account things...

I think I am going to go with the bagmaster... I have been wanting one fit a long time. Since this will be used only for indoors, I do not have the elements to worry about.

I am still willing to hear thoughts as I will not be able to place my order for a few weeks still.

The Brownells bag is nice. I won one at a match one time and ended up selling it because it was so nice I didn't want to wreck it with normal range use. The one thing to keep in mind with the Brownells bag is that its pretty small. Before you fork over $200 for it double check the "Spec's" page as it has the dimensions of the bag listed.

If you are willing to spend $200+ on a range bag maybe it would be an option to find a local seamstress or upholster who could make a custom range bag out of whatever material and configuration you want.

For what its worth, I use a "Cheap-O" Midway USA bag and simply replace it every other year.

GET A GREEN MOUNTAIN MY FRIEND!

This is my bag. Constant use for 14 years. No complaints or problems.

Made in Ft. Collins, Colorado

Green Mountain Original Stock Bag.

http://www.ams-gms.com/9m7/green-mountain-range-bags.html

Many of us Colorado shooters have these. No BS warranty. Very reasonable shipping costs.

I share your distaste for CED's foreign made nylon junk and their Sh*t Can customer service. I had a similar arrogant reply to an email regarding their cheaply made mag storage pouch. They stated a US made product would cost twice as much. I emailed them links to the better quality California Competition Works pouches, sewn in America for One Dollar more.

GET A GREEN MOUNTAIN MY FRIEND!

http://www.ams-gms.com/9m7/green-mountain-range-bags.html

Many of us Colorado shooters have these. No BS warranty. Very reasonable shipping costs.

I share your distaste for CED's foreign made nylon junk and their Sh*t Can customer service. I had a similar arrogant reply to an email regarding their cheaply made mag storage pouch. They stated a US made product would cost twice as much. I emailed them links to the better quality California Competition Works pouches, sewn in America for One Dollar more.

Im going to look into the Green Mountain Bag in just a few!!

• 4 weeks later...

The Dillon bag is ok for the occassional range trip. It is no where near the quality of the Shooters Connection bag. If you are looking for a bag that will hold up to competition use I would go with the Shooters Connection bag. I have two SC bags that are over 10 years old and still hold thier shape, no torn seams etc. The only thing different than new is the dirt.

I've been carrying my iShot bag for at least 6 or 7 years. While it shows a few signs of having been regularly used for 6 or 7 years, it's held up well, and has at least another 6 or 7 seasons in it.

I have a CED bag, a Dillon bag, a Green Mountain bag, and a Shooters Connection bag. I use all 4 regularly as I have each set up for a different range use so I just have to grab the appropriate bag and head for the range. The CED and Dillon are set up for the indoor range for different leagues, the Green Mountain bag is for 3 gun because it fits in the Rugged Gear cart perfectly, and the Shooters Connection bag is for IPSC/Steel Challenge.

The Shooters Connection and the Green Mountain are head and shoulders above the others in quality. The Dillon bag has held up OK, but isn't laid out as well as the other bags. The CED is 3 years old, but is starting to get pretty ragged even though it's primarily used only indoors. It is laid out better than the Dillon. The Shooters Connection and the Green Mountain are 4 and 5 years old and still look new (dusty, but otherwise new) and clearly are designed by competition shooters. My only complaint with the Shooters Connection bag is, it just holds too bloody much stuff! I have to work at not filling it to capacity and killing my back! If I had to buy another bag I probably would buy a Green Mountain, I think it's just about the perfect size.

~

"GET A GREEN MOUNTAIN MY FRIEND !

http://www.ams-gms.c...range-bags.html

Many of us Colorado shooters have these. No BS warranty. Very reasonable shipping costs."

While have had & used a number of other well-known bags the one have wound up using the most

over a like time frame is the Green Mtn. Original same as Sierra 77 ! Might add that GM has

tweaked their bags to perfection over the years. Still see their bags at the larger matches that look

even older than mine, yet are still going strong. Even managed to to pick up a used one at a can't-

turn-it-down price for use as a practice/alternate bag.

Also like them as they are slimmer making passage thru doorways, etc. easier plus don't wind up

bumping others or unyielding objects at events, etc.

I have a CED bag, a Dillon bag, a Green Mountain bag, and a Shooters Connection bag. I use all 4 regularly as I have each set up for a different range use so I just have to grab the appropriate bag and head for the range. The CED and Dillon are set up for the indoor range for different leagues, the Green Mountain bag is for 3 gun because it fits in the Rugged Gear cart perfectly, and the Shooters Connection bag is for IPSC/Steel Challenge.

The Shooters Connection and the Green Mountain are head and shoulders above the others in quality. The Dillon bag has held up OK, but isn't laid out as well as the other bags. The CED is 3 years old, but is starting to get pretty ragged even though it's primarily used only indoors. It is laid out better than the Dillon. The Shooters Connection and the Green Mountain are 4 and 5 years old and still look new (dusty, but otherwise new) and clearly are designed by competition shooters. My only complaint with the Shooters Connection bag is, it just holds too bloody much stuff! I have to work at not filling it to capacity and killing my back! If I had to buy another bag I probably would buy a Green Mountain, I think it's just about the perfect size.

Which Green Mountain bag fits the cart perfectly?

I realize that the Midway bag seems to be a dirty word, but mine has performed admirably for more than 3 years now. I see quite a number of these bags at matches, and don't know anyone personally, who was disappointed with theirs. At half the price of most other bags, its a tough deal to walk away from.

Plus 3 since both me and 2 friends have em. Couldn't be happier.

I've had a Dillon bag for about 15 years, and the only thing that has worn out/failed on it is the little piece of Velcro on the handle. One thing I do differently than a lot of folks is that I've always carried my ammo separately (in a Dillon Border Shift bag), which has probably reduced wear and tear on the range bag. Still, I routinely put 2-3 guns in my bag along with all my other stuff, so it gets some heavy use.

Can't speak to the quality of the Maxpedition bag, but if it is anything like their back packs it's probably indestructible.

Check out the new medium size CED range backpack. I have the range pro backpack and love it, though it is a little big to carry at club matches but I do it anyways

Edited by Mike21STI

Check out the new medium size CED range backpack. I have the range pro backpack and love it, though it is a little big to carry at club matches but I do it anyways

You actually carry it? The only ones I've seen have been mounted on a hand truck :)

Just ordered one. We'll see.