Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red necks and geeks!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

red necks and geeks... geeky red necks... red necky geeks

So what are you?

I grew up in farm country, went to trade school to be an auto mechanic, then got a degree in computer engineer.

I am the hybrid.

Sounds familiar. :) I live a double life. I grew up on 2,400 acres, help manage a 450 farm, currently live on a mini-farm, have a business that revolves around welding, drive a truck, ride around on a tractor quite a bit, hunt, fish, go mudding, blah blah blah. Does that make me a redneck?

Well, I have a degree in telecommunications, with basically enough credits to have a double major in electrical engineering and computer science. I've built stuff that was used in the design of Patriot missles and military communication systems, doing contract work for several top semiconductor companies on aerospace and defense projects. I'm a programmer in the financial sector.

Can't decide if I'm a rednecky geek or a geeky redneck.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

You can safely file me under the geek category. One of the reasons I enjoy shooting is that it's very non-digital. It's physics, mechanics, with a bit of chemistry thrown in. I don't have to worry if the Glock is going to BSoD on me or that the Smith and Wesson is going to lose connection to the Internet.

THIS. Technical people don't understand it but I do. Rednecky hobbies keeps me from going insane.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of geeks at my club in the Bay Area, I guess not so suprising with Silicon Valley just a short jaunt south. Lots of Master Class shooters are computer or ee guys, and one is a 3 Gun champion.

Me, I'm definitely more a geek than a redneck, but, that's just the general science premed stuff. Being old school, I still view most computers as mysterious black boxes.

You can safely file me under the geek category. One of the reasons I enjoy shooting is that it's very non-digital. It's physics, mechanics, with a bit of chemistry thrown in. I don't have to worry if the Glock is going to BSoD on me or that the Smith and Wesson is going to lose connection to the Internet.

It's sort of soothing cleaning guns after shooting them or taking a Glock apart for a complete inspection and cleaning. Nothing digital. The worst I have to worry about is sending a spring into low earth orbit and like any good Glock armorer, I have spares just for that little eventuality.

+1 here.. I'm a systems architect/engineer. The virtual/digital age is what I escape when it's IDPA night and when I'm sitting at my reloading bench. No BSOD's, no Citrix, VMware, Xenserver BS. Only Runing and Gunning and reloading...... bliss!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Geek.

Software VP (small company). Hit 50 and am falling part. Hung up the snowboards, wakeboards, and the mtn bike is getting dusty. Two bad shoulders, creaky knees, etc. This sport give's me both a physical and mental game to work on.

Kind of like noisy golf.

Red necky geek. My favorite hobbies are watching Blu-rays in my home theater and sending lead downrange, two complete opposites I think. I wont even get into the beer swilling and partying I used to do before my kids came into the picture. ...

Geek, ex-red neck. Used to work in an auto plant where EVERYbody thought they were the redneckest of them all, but most of em couldn't butcher a hog or swap 4x4 hubs, and they've never even seen somebody dip the top of a milk tank for cream. The poseurs got sickening.

The F250 PSD sits in driveway with the Prius, and TDI VWs.

The local matches around here are filled with political animosity, which has become viral enough I don't shoot matches anymore. It's not fun listening to wanna-be rednecks all day, talk bigoted smack about people they don't even know, to compensate for their lack of skill with a pistol. In the end we geeks will be the only ones with the $$$ left to afford the sport. Oh, the irony... :roflol:

I too am a highbred... Some College(Architecture and Engineering), quite to become a Collections/Repo man, 30+ years later still helping people re-evaluate their priorities. But I was also a musician first.... Make no sense...

I'm older, have a beard, like cargo pants, and drive a pickup, but still have all my teeth... now add: live in a neighborhood that many can only just dream of... (I will be the first to admit, I live in a neighborhood that is way above my social standing) But I am out there doing all my own yard work, maintenance etc...

I can make friends with "bubba" or any engineer, just depends on what we are talking about... That is what I like about shooting, everyone is on the same playing field, you compete against yourself first, the other people next... And there really is no social standing when the bullets start hitting, just skill.....

This thread has gotten to be serious. I'm a redneck because I rock until my neck is broken. Not every geek is a rich SF IT hipster making six figures. A smooth redneck can almost always steal a geeks girl. :devil:

• 4 weeks later...

Old School, Slow, Redneck still having fun. At the last Glock match I attended the old guys like myself were having a ball. We were not trying to game our way into another point or shave a tenth of second. We were just glad to be there playing with our toys.

Geeky redneck. Grew up eating. Squirrel, rabit, quail, dove, deer. We had fried chicken, mashed potatos, and home canned green beans every Sunday.

Parents raised and canned most of our vegatables. My mom even made her own bloody mary mix.

Crappie catch every was measured in total pounds, not fish count.

No degree but I spent 40 years in I T on mainframes. Ended my career working with wireless factory management sytems.

So that makes me a geeky red neck dinosaur.