Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

starting to reload 38 super

DrLove

folks,

Since I'm getting into open comp, I've been told I have to start reloading. So can anyone please list exactly what I need to buy (and if you have a secret recipe too:), on what do I need to start reloading 38 super?

thanks in advance...

1. Call Brian for the reloading equipment

2. Order a decent chronograph

3. While you are waiting for the above stuff to arrive spend hours studying reloading manuals and reading the BE reloading forums (and others) to get an idea of what is working for other open shooters. However, the disclaimer is that what works for them may not be what works best for you.

4. Scratch out and order some components based on your research.

5. Be prepared to take the time to go slow and develop some loads that work in your gun.

FWIW - It seems to me that 124 gain jacketed bullets with either 3N38, N350, AA7, SR4756, HS6 and small rifle primers are popular and proven combinations which are easy to load and work pretty well in most guns.

Good Luck!

Edited by Bamboo

Im running 10.5 of N105, CCI small rifle primers, montana gold 124gr JHP, OAL 1.225 out of a shorty. It's making about 174pf. Very easy dot tracking. The case is very full too, so if you are using an auto indexing press make sure to go slow and even cover the cases with your finger when it indexes. Good luck!

Edited by mike3232

You might think about replacing your extractor and moving into 38 Super Comp. Bottom line, More reliable and 1 extra round in the big sticks.

I replaced my stock extractor with an Aftec 9mm/38SC extractor and haven't looked back.

FWIW...I was shooting a 124 gr MG JHP with 4756 and N350. Recently switched to HS6 and a 115 gr MG JHP. 9.9-10 gr at 1.240" OAL and the dot just barely bounces. With the 124 gr bullets, the dot would leave the glass.

You might think about replacing your extractor and moving into 38 Super Comp. Bottom line, More reliable and 1 extra round in the big sticks.

I replaced my stock extractor with an Aftec 9mm/38SC extractor and haven't looked back.

FWIW...I was shooting a 124 gr MG JHP with 4756 and N350. Recently switched to HS6 and a 115 gr MG JHP. 9.9-10 gr at 1.240" OAL and the dot just barely bounces. With the 124 gr bullets, the dot would leave the glass.

Completely agree on using SC. My load is a Zero 121 over 10.8 3n38 with Winchester SRP. Makes 173PF.

Does anyone use Accurate #7 with 125 FMJ? Who has bullets? I'm coming up "OUT OF STOCK" everywhere.

Yep, one of my favorite loads for .38 super. A little dirty, but then again so am I!

AA#7 @ 10.2 grains with and OAL of 1.250 for the FMJ gives about a 167pf out of my guns.

Montana Gold has bullets! ;)

Im running 10.5 of N105, CCI small rifle primers, montana gold 124gr JHP, OAL 1.225 out of a shorty. It's making about 174pf. Very easy dot tracking. The case is very full too, so if you are using an auto indexing press make sure to go slow and even cover the cases with your finger when it indexes. Good luck!

Almost my exact load for my factory TruBor...10.5 of N105 with a 115MG JHP @1.235 Win SPMP