Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics for M1A questions??

Nick Weidhaas

Hope you guys can help. Have any of you mounted a compact variable scope on an M1A. I have a M1A in a McMillan M3 stock (adj. comb) and a Smith Ent. weaver rail mount. I want to mount a compact variable powered scope on her, but am concerned about eye relief. The scopes I'm considering are the IOR 1.1-4X, Leupold 1.5-5X20 illuminated and Simmons 1.5-5x20. Do you think it would be OK to mount the scope using a single big ring in front like a ARMS Aimpoint M2 mount or Badger Max 50 ring. This would allow me to mount the scope back further for eye relief. I'm affraid if I use a standard front and rear ring set-up, I won't be able to get the scope back far enought for proper eye relief.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Nick-

I'd stay away from the IOR for that application.

For me and my IOR the eye relief is:

4X - ~3.25" from the lip of the eyepiece.

1X - ~2.25" from the lip of the eyepiece.

I just wouldn't be comfortable with that short an eye relief with a .308.

I'm considering a one ring mount with my AR. But with a .308 IMHO you would be asking for trouble with a one-ring set-up.

Even though the reticle blows, I'd recommend the 1.25x4 Accupoint. It has a very large eye relief.

Nick:

Don't be afraid of the I.O.R. system, that is pleanty of eye relief. The rifle is just fine with any variable setup. I have had them with 3-9s and 1.5-5s and even TA01s; although I finaly decided to give up on the scoping of my beloved M1As, it was NEVER because of eye relief! it was because of stock weld as opposed to cheek weld...wich your Mc Millian adjustable stock allows you to adjust for!

More pointedly, you can get a whole mirad of off set scope rings wich will allow you to mount it any way you want front or back you can even find them in low versions. My suggestion is to get a Brownells catalog and find out what you think you need. kurtm