Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9Major HS6

Bill Filiaga

New Gun..... 115 Gr bullet & HS6 (its what I could find) -- worked up a load... temps here have not been above freezing yet..... Area 1 in a couple of weeks....... 8.8 grains makes 168pf...... do I need to worry about PF or excessive pressures in the warm weather of St George, UTAH........

Bill

More like 'can you trust HS6 powder' anymore. They admitted there were so bad batches of their powder but I have yet to get a response about how to return it or replace it. Asked a few open builders and many have shied away from HS6 due to issues. HS6 was the cause of my gun failing at the IPSC Nationals this past year. I know other shooters that went as high as 9 gr and barely made major. Same gun with other powders didn't have the issues.

More like 'can you trust HS6 powder' anymore. They admitted there were so bad batches of their powder but I have yet to get a response about how to return it or replace it. Asked a few open builders and many have shied away from HS6 due to issues. HS6 was the cause of my gun failing at the IPSC Nationals this past year. I know other shooters that went as high as 9 gr and barely made major. Same gun with other powders didn't have the issues.

Glad I read this. Switched from HS-6 to N-350 a few years ago. Since VV powders are getting harder to find, I thought about going back to HS-6. Looks like that would be a bad idea until somebody gets their QC back in check.

Thanks.

Bill

I have 16 lbs of one of the slow lots in question. It's even better than regular hs6! I run 9.3gr under a MG 115 JHP. It will be my go-to load as long as I shoot open. 3n37 feels similar at 8.8gr, but is a VERY full case. 10.6gr of AA#7 is just as good, but very dirty.

Ok thanks for the replies....But will the FPS go up much in the heat? I chrono @ 28 degrees F.

The load is MG 115 JHP-- 8.8 grains of HS6-- Federal SP primer--OAL is 1.141 to 1.145-- 10 shot average 1468fps.....PF 168...and it shoots really good. Its not even a compressed load like some have suggested. NO EXCESSIVE pressure signs.

I was looking and St George is in the 80's and 90's..... with your experiences...should I leave this load alone?

This is my first "GO" with HS6 and Major 9....or an OPEN gun period. I am a newbie in this open arena....but having a lot of fun so far!!!

Ok thanks for the replies....But will the FPS go up much in the heat? I chrono @ 28 degrees F. The load is MG 115 JHP-- 8.8 grains of HS6-- Federal SP primer--OAL is 1.141 to 1.145-- 10 shot average 1468fps.....PF 168...and it shoots really good. Its not even a compressed load like some have suggested. NO EXCESSIVE pressure signs. I was looking and St George is in the 80's and 90's..... with your experiences...should I leave this load alone? This is my first "GO" with HS6 and Major 9....or an OPEN gun period. I am a newbie in this open arena....but having a lot of fun so far!!!

I use HS6 and 115s. I do not believe you will have a problem with heat, BUT 168PF is just to close to 165. I would increase OAL if you are able and PF. If you using an STI platform, you can load out to 1.160 without issues. I run 9 grains of HS6.

The weather page say 90+ for the Match......Maybe, I'll put the mag & ammo on the exhaust a bit and run at high idle!! Heat it up faster!! :goof:

I chrono right outside my shop and did do the heater trick. But it is not the same, I just wanted some more experienced persons opinions on this load.....

Anyway, this ammo is at 170 pf, I left the OAL the same and increased powder slightly, Fed SP primers still looking good, not near as flaten as a 3n37 load I tried earlier. Good shooting load, we'll see what happens.... Thanks everyone.

Hello: You should be good at the warmer temps with HS-6. It gets a little faster with it being hotter but not that much. 3N37 really does flatten primers since that is what I am using right now with Win SRP at 173PF. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

If the lot was only slow it would not have been an issue. Just change the load. The issue was consistency and customer service. I wont shoot it any more due to the fact that I got stuck with 12-15 lbs that I have no idea what to expect when it goes bang. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't.

115 gr Montana Gold JHP

HS6 9.0 Gr

OAL 1.145

Temp 94

Alt 2800

2013 Area 1 St George Utah

1480 fps

1487 fps

1476 fps

Power Factor 170.7

I took two loads with me the second being .2 gr heavier, which I did not use.... The 9.0 gr worked well, they let me test chrono before the match started, it was 98 degrees, the 9.0 load Factored @ 172.2......Before I left Alaska, with 37 degree temps and much closer to sea level, the 9,0 load factored @ 169.....

While I was there I got a chance to fire a couple of different 38 SC open guns shooting heavier bullets with different loads. My 9 major 115 with HS6 was very close, maybe a slight bit snappier...Anyway was happy with the load and the way the gun shot.

I think I am hooked on OPEN.........

I'm running 9.6gr hs6 with 115 cmj and jhp

Col 1.165 wsr primers

I am getting avg 1509 here in sc from a Trubor

I initially thought hs6 was not going to be a good powder I was running 8.8 initially and just kept increasing the charge 9.6 starightened the gun out and it shoots great