Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

610 barrel change

waterboy

I have a smith 610 with a four inch barrel that i currently shoot at my local USPSA matches. I have been thinking about changing the barrel to a 5 inch. Would it be worth the money to make the switch? What barrel would you recommend?

Also looking at the competition firing pin kit from Apex. Does anyone run one of these?

Thank you for any advice for a revo rookie,

Tom

Edited by waterboy

I would doubt if you will ever locate a factory 5" 610 barrel, so you're probably talking about a custom proposition. (Read $$$.)

Cutting down a 6.5" 610 to 5" would be a more viable option, but that would require installing a Weigand front sight base. Still doable.

This old thread http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138996&hl=+646 got me thinking that if you could rebore a 686 barrel, perhaps you could rebore a 627 barrel. You might have the option of either a full lug barrel, although I'm not sure it was offered in a 5" version, or using a 627 PC barrel, provided it could be done safely. I like the idea of the PC slabside barrel since it might transition better than the full lug version. By the way, I really enjoy dreaming up ways to spend other peoples money.