Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

put shotgun shells on your belt

walloflead

an unnamed high end shooter in our squad at tarheel last week forgot to put shotshells in his caddies for a mandatory reload multi gun stage. he took 35 seconds in penalties, we all felt like dirt for not checking him. 8 shooters later, someone else did the same thing! Same stage! check your kit in the walk through, or have a buddy check you. sounds like a rookie mistake, but it happens if you don't pay attention.

Been there, done that.

Happened to me at the 2012 Rockcastle / Benelli match....couldn't happen on a 8 rounds stage...No....I went into a 24 round stage with 9 rounds and no more...

Looking back I could have run back to the truck, grabbed shells, ran back to the stage and likely still ended up with a better score than I took for all the incurred misses, FTE, etc.

back when we were first starting out in this adventure my wife and i were practicing head to head on a large array of plates and due to some poor shooting and not bringing enough ammo to the line both left targets standing...we stopped and looked at the person with timer and they said clock still running you better get more ammo....it was quite a foot race back to gun bags....

I had something kinda similar happen to me at Texas Multigun, while getting out of a prop car at the beginning of the stage I had a magazine carrier come off my belt (with the mag in it) and didn't notice till the end of the stage when I ran out of ammo. I took 40 seconds in penalties because of it.

Lesson learned, always use mag pouches the you have to feed the belt through not the kind that slip over the top of the belt.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen guys realize that they forgot their mags at their back pack after the buzzer......run over...dig in the pack...get them and continue!!! ha ha.....the last one only lost about 15 seconds because of it in a three gun match. But still sucks to no be ready on the line...

Did the same thing this past Sunday morning on stage 9 at the Midwest 3 Gun. Had I read this post last week I might not have made the mistake. I was laughing after that it takes some nuts to shoot 9 shotgun targets with 9 rounds and no extra, especially when 2 are arials. I even looked on the ground but they run such a clean range, nothin there. We were trying to rush ahead and beat the impending thunderstorm which never even hit but for about 5 minutes of rain. We watched the squad in front and then skipped our walk through, I was second shooter.

Lesson learned.

Jay