Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing Protection Recommendations, please

cohland

I've had the Sordin's for ~5 months or so and still really like them. Am considering doubling up with plugs only when shooting indoors. Got the gel pads, too. They're very comfortable, even when adding the weight of a Contour camera on the right ear muff.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peltor tactical pro

The nrr is 25, great electronics, and the come with the gel seals

Very comfortable to wear all day, well as confortable as can be for earmuffs

I got mine from amazon, last time I looked they were about 200 bucks

I've got a set of the Howard leight's also and just plain hate them, the ear cups are too shallow and squish my ears

This is the one I settled on after some research. I have them on order from Midway, so if they don't work out for any reason I can return them. Thank you for the feedback.

Chris

Chris, you can buy gel cups for those muffs from skygeek. http://www.skygeek.com/hy80.html model is HY80. From memory amazon or midway sell them too. should be around $50 landed for you or less. and they are worth every penny. they create multiple seals so are perfect for wearing with glasses. they provide all day comfort and they enhance the NRR. no doubt. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I use the Peltor Comtac II with gel inserts, and while they are very expensive (mine are provided through my job), I would buy a set if I ever needed to. They have the highest decibel reduction rating (with installed gel) than any other ear protection out there, and the sound amplification is very clear. They are also very resistant to rain, and I've worn them in extended downpours and the electronics have never given me any problems.

I have the Peltor Tac version, but after I RO'd a shooter with a comp, I'm wondering if I need something more.

Maybe a blast shield too. I swear my lips were flapping like a dog in a car every time he pulled the trigger.