Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major ejection

wes777

So I am having ejection issues. 9 major full size gun, aftec extractor.

Problem is sporadic, big PITA.

I took the mount down a little hoping to iron it out. Went to the range and fired about 250 rounds through it. Lots of failures. They look like this

35DC17EC-1EEE-41C3-BBF5-724F4A1B18D8-794

The mount was perfect before this session, it looks like this now

43470348-4031-4BB4-836E-7B67397D6185-794

So, after pouring over past aftec issues I decided to throw this out there and see if I can get some guru guidance, not that any of you are into yoga Its ok if you are. There was A LOT of tension on the case, so much so that it was being pushed askew (only word that I could think of) with the case mouth angled to the right as viewed from above. So after all of the reading I thought that it might be to much tension and took out the front spring. I did this before I performed the hand cycling that rendered the results below. The interaction between the aftec and case seems wrong to me. The hook is bearing down on the case and the relief cut does not touch the rim. But I understand that aftecs are a different animal so here I am. Here is a picture of the interaction.

6B70D8B4-BD74-4C08-8221-839648F8F023-794

PS: I performed the shake test with a dummy round after removing the front spring. Dummy round retained.

So I cleaned the snot out of the gun and put it back together, then hand cycled (as fast as I could) a lot of brass and dummy rounds through it. This is what I ended up with.

This is the breech face area. Notice the brass mark on the top left side of the port.

1A0DC019-5827-4DB5-804D-4BBA805708E9-794

ejection port, its hard to see in this photo but I think that some of them are hitting in the middle.

2A81BE8E-5F6A-4B77-99B8-013E34E60611-794

I think that the brass may be contacting the ejector to high up and the brass is hitting low on occasion and jamming the gun. Here is what it looks like

C11FDBA7-9499-4FAA-AE40-13B2FB3D655E-794

I would take the mount off and shoot the gun to see how the brass ejects, If it ejects high then you will notice it, it hits the slide, you will see the brass pop straight up. Then start tuning your ejector.

I found with the powder and bullets (poly) that I use, I need to clean my extractor every 500-800 rounds or I will start getting issues

What type of brass are you using? I needed federal brass to run 100%, then gun was 98% with range brass. I went eventually went with a higer scope mount (CR Speed) so that I could run any brass

It's the ejector giving you problems. Most builders, let me clarify, my builder Matt Cheely, will tune the ejector when he builds a 9mm. I have never, ever had an ejection issue with my gun,

Hello: Take the Aftec out and cut one coil off the front spring. Install and see how that works. I had to do this way too many times on new 9mm open pistols. I also forgot to ask if the front post on the ejector is broken? Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

You definately have an ejector problem. I have owned 5 different 9 mm Major guns built by 4 different smiths and never had a problem with any of them. If you can't get it straight contact Matt Cheely, Jim Anglin, Shay Akai or Johnny Lim. They can make it run.

You ejector looks to me to be the problem, get one of shooters connection tall ejectors,

cut the tip of it at 5 degrees top angle and 6 degrees angle bottom with the gun rotated 5 degrees ccw.

These ejectors wont fit in your slide so you have to file the little channel to make clearance for it don't take any off the ejector

Jim

jjanglin@msn.com

402 6505190

follow up. Took the mount off and put a mag through it, ejection looked the same. So I sharpie'd the ejection port and the ejector and tried again. All of the brass was hitting the port. My thinking is that sometimes a piece would hit at an odd angle and run into the mount instead of skipping out like a rock on a pond.

I then decided that if there was a chance that I would have to purchase a new ejector and fit/pay to fit it, I might as well attempt it myself (besides its just a fancy single stack with a big flat plate on top right?). I started with small angles on top and bottom and went slow. Each time I would reapply the marker and see what the marks were like on the ejector face and port. I was surprised how small the interaction area needed to be. When I was done, I made it through 2 big sticks without a hiccup, which is drastically better than the 2-4 a mag that I had before. I appreciate the input.

Edited by wes777