Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's In a Name?

Graham Smith

I like to name them but after3+ years of monthly stage design I have to say its becoming difficult to pull up unique names. I've used 1,2,3... On occasion. Another club I've shot with uses colors, Red, Blue, etc.

Stage names can be cool sometimes, but they do get kind of overdone. I used the names of the stage sponsors for the Area 2 Multi-Gun. Did not hurt anything and the sponsors got more coverage.

Numbers (or berm numbers) for local seem to work well.

After 5 1/2 years of stage design, I'm getting burned out on Stage names too. For electronic scoring, I just put stage # or bay # on them now, unless I can come up with a good name that references the design.

There is lots of space in the title bar. I like using it.

I have started using:

- Stage #

- Shooting Bay

- Stage Name (call out your buddy)

Stage 1, Bay 1, Kimball Forgot His Gun

Stage 2, Bay 2, I Have your Poker Money

Stage 3, Bay 3, How Do You Decock This Thing?

Stage 4, Bay 4, Expert Witness

Stage 5, Bay 5, Hot Shot

Stage 6, Bay 6, Rotary Dial

I've got the Periodic Table of Meat printed out and hung on my wall. That is like a hundred names right there.

Google for "Random Word Generator"... Or, any top-10 list of things. (Any list if things).

Heck, post here and let the collective decide a name. ;)

Even at Club Matches I've always enjoyed seeing crazy names. Things like "Free Pudding" or "Judge Roy Bean" which have NOTHING to do with the stage add a tiny bit of humor to help lighten the mood. We all like to be serious and perform well, but this is also supposed to be fun. Names like Stage 1, Stage 2, etc. are just boring.

Liven things up a little. :)

Even if it's just a name that gives some small description of the stage like "Zig Zag" or "Hallway" or "One Clear Shot" help you to remember the stage when looking at the results later.

Even at Club Matches I've always enjoyed seeing crazy names. Things like "Free Pudding" or "Judge Roy Bean" which have NOTHING to do with the stage add a tiny bit of humor to help lighten the mood. We all like to be serious and perform well, but this is also supposed to be fun. Names like Stage 1, Stage 2, etc. are just boring.

Liven things up a little. :)

Even if it's just a name that gives some small description of the stage like "Zig Zag" or "Hallway" or "One Clear Shot" help you to remember the stage when looking at the results later.

+1

Just pull something out of your kiester. Add some humor.

Pat

I switched to using a standard 6-stage score sheet for our local matches. I switched to numbering the stages at the same time so the number matches the score sheet. I guess I could give them numbers and names both.

What I currently do is to put the name in the "title bar" as always and put the Stage number and bay above that in smaller print.

I've shot a number of matches where no one ever reads the stage names during the briefing, so when scores come out, that's the first time I see the name.

And now that clubs are starting to use Practiscore more, the stage names seem even that much less important.

I'm probably going to continue with the names but it just feels a lot like a whisper in the wind. So I wonder if I'm not just holding onto a tradition for it's own sake.

Stage names sure help when you want to re-use or modify an old stage. I don't have any idea what Stage 3 at last October's match was, but I remember lots of stages by their names.

Stage names sure help when you want to re-use or modify an old stage. I don't have any idea what Stage 3 at last October's match was, but I remember lots of stages by their names.

That is true. If I am looking through a list of computer files to find a stage that I want...it needs a good name.

I always thought it was weak to use stage 1, stage 2 or too simple ones like right to left, ports..

So I would come up with a theme, either a movie or series of movies using quotes from them or bands and song titles.

The indiana sections have been

"shoot to thrill" with ac/dc song titles

"make my day" with qoutes from dirty harry movies

"he rode a blazing saddle" with quotes from blazing saddles (and a costume contest)

"live freestyle or die hard" with quotes from die hard

We have also had

"That'll be the day" with john Wayne quotes

A "smokey and the bandit" theme

And just did

"Get the Led out" with Led Zeppelin song titles

Got this years section match coming up

"On a mission from god"

Blues brothers theme

Just takes a little extra effort to come up with some fun names and themes.

For grins I usually will have a theme for each month's match, something like "Rollin' Stones Match", or a movie - such as Tremors or Zombieland. Makes coming up with names easy: Bay-1 -19th Nervous Breakdown (it had a lot tight shots and no shoots), Bay 3 - Running ain't a plan, or Bay 2 - Rule 1 - Cardio.

Makes it interesting and piques the interest of newbies on some of the forums we post monthly notices about the matches.