Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

strike industries recoil buffer: mini review

turkishroy

Got the two buffers I ordered in the mail this week and had the chance today to take them to the range and see if they're worth the money.

Since fitment isn't guaranteed across the xdm line, I popped them in each of my guns just to see if they fit. Dropped right in all three ( 5.25 9mm, 4.5 .45acp, 3.8 .40s&w) and stayed put without issue. No fitting, no forcing.

I played with racking them with and without the buffer, like the video mentions from their website, and the difference of feeling the slide contact the frame is as different as they say. A soft thunk, versus a loud clack. Big deal. Show me the money.

I took my 9mm since I needed to make sure my new Dawson magwell was tip top before I competed with it. It was, of course. I also just put in a 16lb wolff recoil spring and springer solid stainless guide rod and I always like to check my gear before it goes to a match.

Now, I don't own a chronograph so I really don't know my power factor here. Loads used were both 147gr Berrys plated, one on top of 4.3gr Unique and the other 3.4 Red Dot. OAL and crimp of both 1.150 and .378 respectively. I'll let you guys estimate actual power factors for each.

First some slow fire. My red dot load, being softer, I felt no difference from no buffer to buffer installed. Shot 5rds of one than the other back to back.

The unique is a moderate load and a little firmer than the red dot. Here, while subtle, I could actually feel a difference. Very slight, but it was there.

Here again, lacking equipment, I don't have a shot timer.

Loading only two rounds in two mags, I started testing double taps with both loads. My targets were double bullseye, so I would engage one then reload and engage the other.

The result was the same as the slow fire. The softer load produced no real subjective difference while the moderate load would. Tracking the front sight and the actual recoil impulse with the light load felt no different with or without the buffer. The moderate load saw a small decrease in front sight movement ( sight didn't climb quite as high, and the side to side was much more subdued .)

Bottom lines:

Did it make a difference? - yes, but only with a stronger load. I get the feeling that if I had some factory loads the difference would have been much greater. The effect this buffer makes may only shine in factory power loads. Guys running major 9mm may find it extremely helpful. I can't say for sure though until I roll up some hotter loads and try them myself.

Would I recommend it?- sure, as long as whomever I'm recommending it to understands this isn't a magic recoil eliminator that makes a stock gun feel like a comp gun shooting minor loads. I don't think it's of any benefit to shooters running minor power factor in 9mm. Guys running .40 major may find it helpful but, I didn't test my .40 today so I can't say for certain.

Will I continue to use it?- yes. The unique load was a bit more accurate than my other load so I intend on running that load at IDPA. Just from the stand point that my slide won't be whacking my frame, despite how much of that many people's guns go through without issue, I will at least leave it in there until it's worn out.

Worth the price of admission?- sure. It's cheap enough to try out without entirely feeling like it's a waste of money. Whether or not I buy any more after I burn up the two I bought is undetermined at this time. I'm certainly not upset with the result considering the cost. If you're on the fence, just go ahead and get one.

Tried in xdm40 5.25 shooting 180gr at 170pf. No recognizable difference and one "leg" was shredded after approximately 300 rounds.

that's no good. I'm going to monitor the two I've got installed. I ran my 5.25 9 and 4.5 .45 Friday at an idpa club match with them installed. no issues, but I certainly didn't feel a remarkable difference. round counts are 160 and 65 respectively.

• 4 weeks later...

lol. I just wanted to see if it was snake oil. pretty sure it is. I sent them a message using their website and was pleased with the response. I sent them the photos I took and got this back:

Screenshot_2013-05-30-18-55-51.png

I replied with my address, load info and told them I'd gladly chew up another buffer for them. we'll see how long the next one lasts...

Mine looks like yours after about 300 .40 loads at about 169 PF.

I didn't really notice any significant reduction. Not worth the cheap price of admission but not a big loss either. Oh well.

Edited by d_striker