Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P226 owners regarding hammer spring...

JGus

Have any of you P226 owners swapped out your hammer spring for a lighter spring? I'm thinking of changing the stock hammer spring on my P226 USPSA model to lighten the DA/SA trigger pull weight of the gun.

And if you have swapped out the stock hammer spring on the P226 for a 17# hammer spring, have you measured the pull of the DA/SA trigger? Is it a noticeable difference?

The springs are cheap and I've ordered a few 17# and 18# from Wolff and so I will be able to tell for myself when they come in. But, I don't have the tool to measure my trigger pull weight.

Thanks for your input.

I'm pretty sure GGI put a 17# mainspring in my P226. I don't have a trigger pull gauge to give you a pull weight. And since they did action work and the spring replacement at the same time, I couldn't tell you how much of the difference I felt when I got it back was due solely to the spring. I think they estimated my DA pull at ~6.5# when it first left their shop.

JAFO, thanks for the input. I've also thought about sending my USPSA model P226 to Bruce, but not sure if I can justify the cost as it's not my primary Production gun. My primary Production gun is a Sig X5 All Around that had the trigger worked on by Sig's custom shop. The USPSA model is my back up Production gun. That, and I really, really like shooting that USPSA model.

I was hoping by just changing out the hammer spring to a 17# would make it noticeably better, but obviously not anywere near where it would be if I sent it out to Bruce Gray.

JAFO, thanks for the input. I've also thought about sending my USPSA model P226 to Bruce, but not sure if I can justify the cost as it's not my primary Production gun. My primary Production gun is a Sig X5 All Around that had the trigger worked on by Sig's custom shop. The USPSA model is my back up Production gun. That, and I really, really like shooting that USPSA model.

I'm getting to where you are, it's just taking me a little longer. My current Production gun is a GGI P226, but it will be regulated to the backup once I get the holster for my new X5. I'll use the X5 stock for a while to see what I might want to change. The SA pull on it isn't as light as my GGI, but it's really crisp with NO creep. The DA pull is super heavy right now, but I've only had ~150 rounds through it and maybe twice that in dry fires. Hmm. Maybe I should order a 17# spring for it. :)

I dropped in a 17# Wolff hammer spring on my P226 when it was bone stock and noticed an improvement in the DA pull. Can't tell you the poundage as my cheapo trigger pull gauge only goes to 5 lbs. but it dropped noticeably. No problem with light primer strikes. Some trigger at the SIG custom shop helped some more.

On my new Allround I put a SRT trigger kit in a Wolff 17lb hammer spring and polished the hammer, sear and other ignition parts with my dremmel polishing wheel and mothers mag polish and it is smooth and has to be close to 7lbs or just below, and the feel of SA is alot like that of my $3500 STI custom, crisp, lighter and with a clean break!! Compared to my 229 with SRT and my Mk 25 it is hella lighter and smooth.

Edited by pranavdc

• 1 month later...

Got my P226R(E2) 9mm wolff recoil and hammer springs today.

I was surprised to see the wolff springs are a bit longer than the OEM spring https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30676/photo%202.JPG

When in the gun it seems too long as well, but what do I know. Here's the spring installed with hammer uncocked https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30676/photo%201.JPG

I do notice a slight improvement in DA/SA pull effort. I'm hitting the range tomorrow so will know better once some rounds go through it.

I've been told on the E2 guns like mine, switching to non-E2 grips will give room to replace the hammer spring strut and plastic base with the prior gen setup which improves DA pull as well.

Edited by gccjason

If you are into experimenting with the SIG triggers, you might try the old style mainspring spur (longer) with a lightened coil spring (also longer). Maybe that's what you are speaking of in previous generation comment?

For whatever reason, I had prefered the old style trigger pull before going over to CZs. I can't really tell you why (more linear pull?). However they are a pain in the butt to change the mainspring. I had luck using the full length mainspring spur/spring in my X-Five and P226ST. The cutout in the inside bottom of the grip is the only thing I could see being an installation issue.

Edited by huskerlrrp

The old long strut flexes and makes for a somewhat uneven DA pull especially with heavier mainsprings. They came out with the short strut and plastic base to solve the flex issue. The E2 has yet another strut and base design in order to clear the E2 grips. The downside is the strut binds so going to "standard" grips would allow the E2 strut and base to be replaced with the "standard" short strut and plastic base.

FWIW, I run a 17lb mainspring with 2 coils removed on my 2 GGI X5 Allrounds. I remove the 2 coils because the Wolff spring would coil bind at its stock length making the end of the trigger stroke a bit stiff as it pushed coils over top each other.

I ran into the coil bind problem with Wolff recoil springs as well. I run a 14lb Wolff recoil spring and I swapped one out right before a match. All match long my brass was barely coming out of the ejection port and bouncing off my hand. I later discovered that the Wolff spring I had put in the gun before the match had 4 more coils than the one I had replaced. I checked slide travel and found that the longer spring was going to solid coil bind limiting travel to a shorter stroke than with the factory recoil spring. 9mm minor loads don't have enough recoil to compress the stiff secondary spring on the X5 so my slide was going back barely enough to eject the case.

• 3 months later...

I've had a few of the GGI kits and used the supplied 17# mainspring. Sweet In dbl or single. I never measured the pull reduction other than by feel and imeadiately noticed that they has zero stacking in DA. SA was great in every regard, though you still feel a little creep with the GGI kit in a SRT gun. Funny how such a simple part can change so much in a weapon.