Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sear Jig(s)

Rob Bagnato

I ran a search but haven't found anything on the subject. Does anybody have any experience with the sear jigs offered by Brownells? The product(s) are supposed to hold the sear at the right angle for stonning. Looks like it's idiot proof but like everything else you just never know.

The Powers Custom series 1 jig is the most versatile/adjustable jig. It can do most of the popular guns out there with the correct adapter. If you plan on doing 1911 only just about any of the commercially available jigs can do a respectable job.

A good magnifier or microscope is also very useful when you start doing sear and hammer work.

Adam

I have only used one of the cheapo sear jigs. My take is that knowing what you are doing, is 10 times more important than the tools you use. The high end jigs are going to be much easier to use, but I'd say that nothing is idiot proof.

• 1 year later...

I mostly use an older Bob Marvel Jig, I like the Power Custom jig better, I just havn't had spare funds to buy my own.

The Brownells Hammer/Sear File and Stone set is awesome, gives a very good polish on the sear and hammer hooks. I have used mine for >100 trigger jobs.

Edited by GuildSF4

The jigs work ok if your holes in frame are in the right place. However that is not guaranteed. Then I like the pins that you stick in the frame, with the collars on them that let you inspect the relationship between hammer and sear. Got mine from brownells, but you could make them out of drill rod.

After all is said and done it still is a good Idea to put some blue parts and check the fit. May find your gun and jig don't agree.

It hasn't happen alot, but when it does it will drive you nuts trying to figure out why your trigger job sucks this time when everything looks good on the jigs.

Jigs are very helpful for holding the parts so you can make changes.

The two trouble guns I ran into with not parrellel holes were a Colt 45 and Colt AR. Go figure! Both were early 90's guns

I have a few commercially available jigs that found their way to my shop through the years.

But what I find myself using the most are indeed the "pins" set to "quick check" hammer/sear engagement, and when some adjustment is needed the tool I use the most is the simple jig offered by Ed Brown, assisted with "feeler gauges" and some stones.

You can obtain all of these at Brownell's catalog.