Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aim Small

Niceash

At my most recent match I had a set of targets that were 3/4 covered by "No Shoots" I noticed that people that aimed for the main A zone were hitting the C zone, so I decided to shoot for the head A zone. As I moved through the course and came to this set, I raised my sights, lined them up on the spot I had previously pictured, and put two rounds square in the top A zone, touching. This was at about 5 yards. While we did the walkthrough, I realized that I need to think about an actual spot on the target, not just the general A zone.

It feels good when you get it right. :-)

Target, Sights, Trigger.

Happy Shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

As a new USPSA shooter. (been to two shoots) I think this is a good point. I have been shooting an area not a point.

Thanks.

On a similar topic, am I the only one who'd like a visible dot on the center of the A zone ?

Edited by kennjen

As a new USPSA shooter. (been to two shoots) I think this is a good point. I have been shooting an area not a point.

Thanks.

On a similar topic, am I the only one who'd like a visible dot on the center of the A zone ?

how are you going to keep that visual dot after it's shot out?

Thanks.

how are you going to keep that visual dot after it's shot out?

I am actually using a mental black dot about the size of a .50 cent piece. As I do a walk through, I imagine that dot on the A zone then I aim for that spot. Still working on it, but I got 80% A's last weekend. Moved up in the ranking a bit. I am going to keep working on it.

I find these ideas difficult on a totally brown target with nothing specific to "aim" for. For instance, you're the first shooter, the target is new with no pasters. So, if I'm doing everything I need to do right, I will not be able to pick out a specific non-descriptive spot on the target while my front sight is crisp and clear. The target will be blurry no?

I think so far my experience (however little) has told me to "know" the A zone or down 0 and shoot for the center of that. Not really a specific spot that is not easily identifiable on a blurry target.

Thoughts?

Even if the big/brown targets do not have any aiming reference at all, you will get the sights to the aiming point more quickly and accurately if you practice visually "burning in" a specific small spot of brown - before the sights get there.

be

When I am doing the walkthrough, or taping, I make a mental note of the spot I want to shoot. I then level my sights on that spot I have visualized. I have found that this has done two things, 1)reduced the number of Mikes, and 2)Increased my % of Alphas. Depending on the target configuration, this spot will be different for each target group. I also take into account "no shoots" and make adjustments to make sure I stay clear.