Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, other side. In the pic you can see where I blurred out some private info with photoshop, but it's non-legal stuff. That's why the opening is not even, the serial number side can't go any lower without destroying the serial number. NOT something I'm willing to do. Though I'm tempted to get ATF permission to move it. I just hate dealing with the ATF in general.

Stoeger definitely could have put the serial number in a different spot. They actually have to put it in an extra fixture to stamp it, may as well stamp it out of the way for ALL of them.

I've read some pages but just can't bring myself to read all 98.. Is there a write up anywhere detailing some modifications to make these things run smoother? Running a buddies MK3 this weekend and wanted to smooth her on out. He already semi polished the mag tube.. Anything else that can be smoothed out or loved on to make it run smoother and more reliable? Had a FTE today (first malfunction out of ~300 rounds, was Winchester Walmart bulk) plan to do a M2 extractor spring.

Sunday during some practice drills my M3K started having some issues feeding. It ran perfect for 5 or 6 runs but then it started failing to feed almost EVERY round. Saturday I shot a match with zero issues.

The problem: As a new shell attempts to enter the chamber, it will hang on the barrel extension. From what I can tell the extractor/spring (recently replaced OEM Stoeger with Benelli M2 pieces) is the culprit. It's pushing the shell at the bottom and causing the nose to go in crooked (away from the chamber). If you barely tap the nose of the shell, the shell will load in fine.

I took it apart and made the M2 "hook" less sharp to look more like the Stoeger one. I didn't go to far since I wanted to get some feed back first but it seemed to help. When I manually cycle it now, it only hung up once in about 100 cycles.. where as before it would do it 5 out of 10 or more.

The barrel extension is already smooth and rounded off to help with feeding.

Anyone ever have this problem? If it keeps happening I am going back to the Stoeger set up.

I have seen this happen on 3 guns when the lifter was bent. Either from improper assembly (forcing it when not lined up) or in one case, it was bent from the factory. It can also happen from overly zealous quad loading. The two rails on either side of the slot down the bottom of the lifter should be exactly the same height. If the rail further from the ejection port (left rail as you hold the gun in shooting position) is higher at all, it will roll the cartridge towards the ejection port, hanging up on the edge of the loading port. I have seen 2 Benelli lifters bent in the same fashion over the years. I have never seen it occur on the TTI lifters, but they have a different shape on the stamping that may be stronger.

I have seen this happen on 3 guns when the lifter was bent. Either from improper assembly (forcing it when not lined up) or in one case, it was bent from the factory. It can also happen from overly zealous quad loading. The two rails on either side of the slot down the bottom of the lifter should be exactly the same height. If the rail further from the ejection port (left rail as you hold the gun in shooting position) is higher at all, it will roll the cartridge towards the ejection port, hanging up on the edge of the loading port. I have seen 2 Benelli lifters bent in the same fashion over the years. I have never seen it occur on the TTI lifters, but they have a different shape on the stamping that may be stronger.

Thanks Tom.

I have a TTI lifter but I will check to see if somehow it got bent. I could see that happening.. part of what I was practicing was dumping it and one of the times i remember the bolt dropping (empty gun) after I dumped it. I wonder if it got banged up then. Obviously it was enough to drop the bolt. It's also very possible that was my last practice run without the problem now that I think about it.

Edited by NickO

For those who know, opinions are welcomed...

I had some ejection issues where the empty hull was stuck behind the chamber while the new shell was on the lifter (first 5-6 boxes had 2-3 rounds per box do it).

I ordered an M2 extractor and spring but then re-diagnosed it as a mag tube spring to long which was feeding the new shell to quickly and locking up the old hull against the roof of the receiver. I trimmed it down and ran a three sets of 10 rounds rapid fire without problems. (was having problems pretty regularly...brand new M3K)

So I have this new spring/extractor on the way. i'm thinking I'll just shelve it for now and wait before swapping them out (don't change to many variables at once) but if it really is a solid upgrade, thoughts on just swapping the part now?

Edited by muddywings

Can anyone recommend a maintenance procedure for the M3000? I have a little over 1200 rounds through mine and haven't done much more than general lubing of the action bars and mag tube. After running a gas gun for years, I am amazing at how clean the inertia gun is. The M3K has been great.

It is not the mag spring. The shell is released when the trigger is pulled and it can not feed too quickly.

Sounds to me like the >extractor< is not holding onto the shell rim long enough to have the shell head make

proper contact with the >ejector<. That would leave the empty hull where you are finding it. The bolt is

trying to do it's job and move forward and the shell lifter (carrier) is trying to do its job too and lift the fresh round

up. The empty hull then get trapped.

It is also possible the gun is short stroking.

Replace the >extractor< spring and you may be happy. If you have both the spring and >extractor< replace both.

Got home from work and took a look at the gate and I had to look at it from a few angles but sure enough it was tweaked The left side of the lifter was slightly twisted up. With some slight force it went right back to even height. I racked about 50 rds through it holding the gun in a few different ways and all fed perfectly.

Will live fire this weekend but I think you were right on it.

I must not be tactical enough. I ran 3 matches and a couple practices with my M3000 with all stock internals and only a Nordic tube and opened up loading port and it ran without a hitch with several kinds of birdshot, slugs, and a few rounds of buckshot. I wanted simplicity and reliability when I bought it and so far that's what I've gotten. I guess I'm not cool enough yet to try to modify it enough to screw it up to where it doesn't work and needs even more modding to work again.

Edited by yellowfin

currently no any company that makes a mag extensions for the M3000. Several make them for the M2000, but not the M3000

Are you sure about this?

He is wrong. Nordic, MOA Precision, Carbon Arms, RCI all make them.

Rucker,

Trust us on this. Call Tom at MOA. He can solve your problem. The tube is a tube is a tube. Mark has them at Carbon Arms and Nordic Components also makes them, the issue is not the tube, it is/was the TUBE NUT. That is no longer an issue. Call Tom.

Update on mine, I have had the gun out to the range five times now since my last match, and I still cannot repeat the problem. It is back to running like a clock and I can't say what the hiccup was about.

Rucker,

Trust us on this. Call Tom at MOA. He can solve your problem. The tube is a tube is a tube. Mark has them at Carbon Arms and Nordic Components also makes them, the issue is not the tube, it is/was the TUBE NUT. That is no longer an issue. Call Tom.

I believe it's sossecurity that needs the help. I've already got the Carbon Arms tube on my M3K. I was gently suggesting to sossecurity that he might want to check a little more before getting called out.

Over the past month, I have taught/coached close to 100 students in 3Gun/Shotgun. Regardless of platform, the overwhelming cause of shotgun issues were 2 things.

1. Cheap ammo. Federal Bulk Pak shotgun shells have poor QC, soft hulls JUST SAY NO. Winchester Promo, same thing. If you want cheap shotgun ammo, look at the Remington Gun Club or RIO. We even run that stuff in majors and for about $1/box more, it is well worth it.

2. Springs. Either too much, or not enough. 24" of free spring length in the magazine tube is not better. :) Reduced recoil springs are also a culprit, especially out of battery bobbles.

Not knowing the manual of arms for the shotgun was probably in 3rd place, but nowhere near the first two.

Like pistols and rifles, shotguns operate well in an operational window. Change too much and bad things happen. Also, a 300 pound man may be fine with a set up that flat out does not work for a 100 pound shooter. Guns are tools. Understand the interface and operational window and adapt the gun to the specific shooter.

Over the past month, I have taught/coached close to 100 students in 3Gun/Shotgun. Regardless of platform, the overwhelming cause of shotgun issues were 2 things.

1. Cheap ammo. Federal Bulk Pak shotgun shells have poor QC, soft hulls JUST SAY NO. Winchester Promo, same thing. If you want cheap shotgun ammo, look at the Remington Gun Club or RIO. We even run that stuff in majors and for about $1/box more, it is well worth it.

2. Springs. Either too much, or not enough. 24" of free spring length in the magazine tube is not better. :) Reduced recoil springs are also a culprit, especially out of battery bobbles.

Not knowing the manual of arms for the shotgun was probably in 3rd place, but nowhere near the first two.

Like pistols and rifles, shotguns operate well in an operational window. Change too much and bad things happen. Also, a 300 pound man may be fine with a set up that flat out does not work for a 100 pound shooter. Guns are tools. Understand the interface and operational window and adapt the gun to the specific shooter.

those 2 things were the issues with 100% of the people that I personally know who had issues with their Mossbergs. Its funny to me that many wanted to spend 1200 on a M2/1301/Versamax, but balked at the idea of paying a dollar more for a box of decent shells.

This^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!

While I haven't had the problems with Federal bulk ammo that Mark has, I fully agree on the others. BUT, it is entirely possible that I have simply gotten lucky and bought cases from a lot with good hulls. Some people may have horrible luck with Federals. But in the big picture, with $500 on gas, $500 on a hotel, $300 on match fees, $800 in missed work, and $200 on food, an extra $8 for enough shells for a major match seems like super cheap insurance.