Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Picked up an M3000 a few months back and found this thread when looking for an extension tube. Seems I have a lot of catching up to do.

MOA doesn't have the +5 tube, so is Nordic the best site to get a +5 and compatible adaptor nut?

BTW, my M3000 runs flawlessly with light (sub-spec) target loads. It didn't when new, but after a box of hunting loads and a few boxes of spec target loads, it's been great.

The thread has me concerned about POA/POI, so I'll have to put some slugs through it and see.

We have +5 tubes en route from Nordic. They are in the process of moving, so your order from them may take a week or better to ship. Hopefully they get back on track soon, as we are experiencing inventory issues due to the increased lead time from their shipping dept.

Does that mean the order I placed for a +9 kit will be delayed? I'm not in a rush, just curious.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are right on the limit even tiny variables like the amount of oil (or type) on the recoil spring and rails, or 20 degrees of temperature can make it run or not. The 3 dram stuff should have run though. Did you make any changes to your shooting form? Leaning into the gun too far or holding against your shoulder tightly enough to pre-compress the recoil pad can give the same malf sometimes.

Midway now has the extractor spring in stock, and also I believe the extractor. (Extractor was in stock, then out, then back in, all in less than a week.)

Hey everyone been following for a while. Just wanted to know if there was a part number for the extractor and spring. I skimmed back through a few pages just must have missed it.

Midway now has the extractor spring in stock, and also I believe the extractor. (Extractor was in stock, then out, then back in, all in less than a week.)

Hey everyone been following for a while. Just wanted to know if there was a part number for the extractor and spring. I skimmed back through a few pages just must have missed it.

Post # 2077 has both part numbers. page 84 of the thread, top half

Post # 2077 has both part numbers. page 84 of the thread, top half

Oh man! I looked right past that. Thanks.

Little update I cleaned it(wasn't that dirty) and took it out tonight, using the same 2 3/4dram ammo I had only two short cycles, the weird thing was that I tried out one of my 4shot 3 1/4 dram shells and it short cycled!

When you clean it, do you remove the bolt head and firing pin and their respective springs from the carrier? Also, what is your lubrication protocol for the bolt cam? Anything that steals energy from the inertia spring can lead to short strokes. Also, excessive amounts of thin, solvent-based lubricants seeping into the bolt can wash the cam pin free of lube and then blow off during cycling.

The cam pin should be greased to prevent wear. Dry is not good. The thinner oils don't stay put long on the cam surfaces. I use Shooter's choice all-temp gun-grease, but any sticky gun grease works as long as your cleaning regimen does not consist of spraying a half bottle of CLP into the action. If you do this, it dissolves the grease which then blows out. This doesn't sound like your problem though. Have you changed to a more aggressive stance than you used to use? Holding the gun tight to your shoulder and leaning well into it can induce short strokes by not allowing the gun to recoil far enough to compress the inertia spring.

Another possible cause we have seen- Sometimes there is a burr on one end of the recoil spring on the inside where it was cut off a the factory. If you assemble it with the burr at the receiver end, all is well. Reverse the spring so that the burr drags on the outside of the mag tube during cycling and friction goes WAY up. If this is the case, you will probably see longitudinal scratches on the tube, especially if you haven't polished the bluing off of it yet. If this is the case, polishing the burr off the end of the spring makes orientation of the spring a non-issue. This can DEFINITELY cause the short stroke you are experiencing, and usually occurs after disassembly for cleaning as you mentioned. Take a look and if that isn't it we can move on to other trouble-shooting ideas

Pin has to come out to remove bolt head. If yours has never been out, you will want to pull the inertia spring and clean the pocket and spring thoroughly. You can use a center punch to re-stake the edge of the hole if the pin tries to fall out.

Ok just me then, wish me luck!!

Good luck buddy, I will be in Texas for the 3GN Regional. Have fun and knock em down!

about time Tom!!! J/k hoping to place decently will let ya'll know,

With my recent health problems, I am just hoping to break top 10 on any stage. Crohn's is a b!tch. Lost 18 lbs in the last 3 weeks. We shall see how much endurance I have. Didn't do well in Utah a couple weeks ago

Sorry about that Tom, really!!

Anyone know what size the nut inside the stock? Apparently I don't own a socket deep enough for that long bolt but I'm not keen on buying a whole set having apparently made it 40 years without it :)