Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

You have! And you've done a great job working the system up so others can share in your experiences with them. Your part of the reason Stoger has a 3-gun version. Still gonna tease you a bit though....its in my nature, especially when its a semi inside joke. :)

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys let me know when you get these stoegers kitted up with enough gear and fixes to just buy an M2. Wont be long now.

Mike,

With all the work that Tom did on mine out at MOA it was still less than the price of a stock M2. I can buy a complete back-up gun and some practice ammo for a fully done up M2 from TTI or C-Rum, Now if I were to do all the work myself, Maybe I'd save enough to get teh M2, OR more likely I'd have to buy a second M2 since the first one just maybe got all screwed up.

As for the M3k being an entry level gun, I suppose I can't argue with Jesse on this. It is not a Benelli but for an old guy like me that shoots a couple majors and a few club matches, it is probably just fine. Like most 'casual' shooters more money spent on practice will yield far more results than more money spent on equipment.

You guys let me know when you get these stoegers kitted up with enough gear and fixes to just buy an M2. Wont be long now.

Mike,

With all the work that Tom did on mine out at MOA it was still less than the price of a stock M2. I can buy a complete back-up gun and some practice ammo for a fully done up M2 from TTI or C-Rum, Now if I were to do all the work myself, Maybe I'd save enough to get teh M2, OR more likely I'd have to buy a second M2 since the first one just maybe got all screwed up.

As for the M3k being an entry level gun, I suppose I can't argue with Jesse on this. It is not a Benelli but for an old guy like me that shoots a couple majors and a few club matches, it is probably just fine. Like most 'casual' shooters more money spent on practice will yield far more results than more money spent on equipment.

I guess I "get" the kicking around of the M3K. It is kinda like me trying to get people to not buy super cheap optics. The difference is we have optics buying options at 300, 600, 1200, 1500, 1800, 2200, 2400 dollars. We don't really have anything like that going on in this discussion.

Either buy Benelli Like technology for 500 or the real deal for 1200.

What some of the M2 peeps out there may not know is...the M3K has a couple of features that the M2 needs (or many feel they need)

to be gunsmithed ($$) into the M2.

Out of battery loading mod. Not needed on the M3K / M3000. It come like that.

Whatever ya what to call it "ghost load" or ? That can be done on the stock Stoeger not the M2

Wanna cut the buttstock down for your kid or small statured person? Heck you can cut the stoeger down to 11" if

you need to...M2 nope!

Did that kid grow since he or she started? Crap you have an M2, ching ching that will cost you 180 bucks for a new (NON Comfortech) stock! (or just add a bunch of recoil pad spacers) Wait you have a Stoeger? New stock 58 bucks.

Oh I forgot to add the shell latch... The one where some guys want to bend the thing so they can load shells easier or cut the

"U" notches deeper to reduce the loading resistance.

M3000 / M3K? It has a coil spring powered hinge that makes loading nice.

With all that said. I would never tell someone who had a M2 to sell it and get a M3K. That is just stupid.

The M2 has a STRONG track record as a Champions Tool. They flat out work! I love them!!!

But I have no doubt that the M3000 / M3K will serve anyone who uses it well and will little to complain about.

NOT because it is good for the money, but because it is just a good shotgun.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I'm actually thinking about trying to put a M3K shell latch into my M2. :)

Well said Patrick!

My 13 year old had a M3K, VersaMax, M2 and a 1301 on the table. All ready to roll in 3Gun. He loaded them all, shot them all and there was no question, he preferred the M3K.

Well said Patrick!

My 13 year old had a M3K, VersaMax, M2 and a 1301 on the table. All ready to roll in 3Gun. He loaded them all, shot them all and there was no question, he preferred the M3K.

Mark I am also trying a 3500 latch in my VM from what I can tell it should work as long as I make thw hole for the bolt relase button the go through go a little further back.

I bought my M3000 to have a backup to my M2. Since my M2 is a Tactical model with ghost ring sights (which I love when there are slug targets to be shot) I also now have an entire shotgun with a field barrel/vent rib for about the price of an extra Benelli barrel. My local club doesn't really do slugs, so I figure I will run the Stoeger there once I send it off to Tom for some work.

Edited by CJW

Well said Patrick!

I'm not a fan of the hinged shell catch. give me the m2 catch anyday

For the record, I have never kicked around the Stoger, sure I did poke fun at it "needing" a few Benelli parts, but then so do "others" whom I also gig. A good shotgun in this price range is a great thing. I would also point out that the CZ 712 falls right in this range as well and is also a darn good gun for the $$. I really do applaud Pat and....ugh...yes...Jesse for championing these guns. So often folks get hung up on the equipment rather than the amount of use the equipment provides.

The CZ isn't a bad gun, but has one of the worst release button locations I have ever seen. IMO, anyway. As far as the hinged shell stop, Jesse, Usually they only cause problems if you (A) put too big of a button on it, or ( B ) lose the little overtravel pin that belongs inside the spring. Combine the two, and you are about guaranteed problems (death jams). Don't know if that fits your experience, but those are the most common complaints we encounter.

Edited by openclassterror

Between the VM and M3k, I think they're two completely animals in terms of handling and weight. Both even operate differently than each other, so get a good feel on which one you prefer, might as well get your money's worth.

A local gun shop has a lightly used, stock VersaMax for ~$700. At that price would I be better off with a new M3K or the used VersaMax?

If you do not want to work on it sans adding a tube, the M3K is the closest to ready to shoot out of the box. On a Stock VM, you still have a good bit of gunsmithing and parts changing to do.

Want to buy a shotgun and go shoot a few matches a year...the M3K is the best choice on the market.

Depends if you are handy or not. I did all the work to my m3000 and it cost me about 150 in parts. Plus i got mine new for $425 because it had a small nick on the rib. So unless the m3k is less than $700 with tube, i would say no. However that said, i am pretty sure that stoeger will not warranty one of iur home hack job loading port guns if something breaks on it where i am sure they will warranty the m3k.