Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Another question, whats the general technique for putting the shotgun back on safe before dumping it?

do you just use your thumb? or bring your trigger finger around?

Whichever technique you practice and can perform every time.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question, whats the general technique for putting the shotgun back on safe before dumping it?

do you just use your thumb? or bring your trigger finger around?

I just got Tom's double headed safety and have been dry firing and practicing this. I found (for me) it depended on the direction i was moving and if i was dumping on a table or into a trash can.

Right to left was thumb.. anything with muzzle down, ring finger under the trigger guard. Best to just practice it.

I always use my trigger finger to re-engage the safety. Practice it until you don't even think about it. In more than one match I have freaked out a little at the end of a stage because I honestly didn't remember putting the safety on when I dumped it. In every case, when I went to retrieve it, the safety was on. It needs to be a subconscious part of putting the shotgun down. Even when you are just doing casual practice, ALWAYS engage the safety EVERY TIME you let go of your shotgun, empty or not. If you are thinking about which finger to use, you are already burning clock time, even if you don't fumble it. By the time you are letting go of your shotgun, your brain should already be on the first bank of pistol targets (or rifle).

I always use my trigger finger to re-engage the safety. Practice it until you don't even think about it. In more than one match I have freaked out a little at the end of a stage because I honestly didn't remember putting the safety on when I dumped it. In every case, when I went to retrieve it, the safety was on. It needs to be a subconscious part of putting the shotgun down. Even when you are just doing casual practice, ALWAYS engage the safety EVERY TIME you let go of your shotgun, empty or not. If you are thinking about which finger to use, you are already burning clock time, even if you don't fumble it. By the time you are letting go of your shotgun, your brain should already be on the first bank of pistol targets (or rifle).

You're right a out it needing to be subconscious. When the question was asked I couldn't think of which finger I use. I think I use my thumb.

Quick update on the Nordic Followers- I just talked to Shannon in sales, who was in manufacturing for several years before changing departments. He said it has been almost 2 years since they quit using the Teflon coating, as they determined that it had no effect on reliability compared to the hard anodizing they are currently using.

The issue with the followers catching in Stoegers is apparently related to the practice of cutting the unthreaded portion of the end of the mag tube off to work with the Nova/ Supernova adapter nut. This leaves a gap between the end of the factory mag tube and the Nordic extension tube inside the nut, and if too much is cut off the follower can get caught.

So in short, the followers have not changed during the amount of time we have been using them on these guns. Use with confidence, as long as you are using a Stoeger specific adapter nut and have not hacked the end off the factory tube. :)

Quick update on the Nordic Followers- I just talked to Shannon in sales, who was in manufacturing for several years before changing departments. He said it has been almost 2 years since they quit using the Teflon coating, as they determined that it had no effect on reliability compared to the hard anodizing they are currently using.

The issue with the followers catching in Stoegers is apparently related to the practice of cutting the unthreaded portion of the end of the mag tube off to work with the Nova/ Supernova adapter nut. This leaves a gap between the end of the factory mag tube and the Nordic extension tube inside the nut, and if too much is cut off the follower can get caught.

So in short, the followers have not changed during the amount of time we have been using them on these guns. Use with confidence, as long as you are using a Stoeger specific adapter nut and have not hacked the end off the factory tube. :)

That makes sense as I am running a nordic follower with moa nut.

Like some help; Noticed a fitting issue called CAST.Has anyone here dealt with this fitting problem with any shotgun, and will those extra shims Stoeger supply's correct this problem. If not whats the best way to fix this issue Thanks Up Front

Like some help; Noticed a fitting issue called CAST.Has anyone here dealt with this fitting problem with any shotgun, and will those extra shims Stoeger supply's correct this problem. If not whats the best way to fix this issue Thanks Up Front

up some photos so we can be of better help.

Good to know & hear. That pretty much answers my question I had a few pages back. Thanks!

Oskino; Not able to take a picture of my sight alignment through my eye To help explain; Establish your natural point of aim stance Close your eyes bringing the shotgun up to your face, and into the pocket of your shoulder open your eyes adjust your barrel aiming at a small target, but Do not adjust your head or anything else where is the end of the barrel

Steve; Is there a way to adjust CAST on a synthetic stock like Stoeger, Benelli exct that you've heard of. Was thinking of turning one of those shims into a thin wedge if there's nothing else out there. I also started to think if this might have something to do with POA / POI issues that we all seem to have with slugs

Oskino; Not able to take a picture of my sight alignment through my eye To help explain; Establish your natural point of aim stance Close your eyes bringing the shotgun up to your face, and into the pocket of your shoulder open your eyes adjust your barrel aiming at a small target, but Do not adjust your head or anything else where is the end of the barrel

got yah BOOM , you just taught me something Thanks!! Steve thanks for posting link great read!! So if I understand this right when you BOOM are shouldering the shotgun it is not lining up center to your eye and the barrel is either left or right???

Edited by Oskino

Correct; Mounting the shotgun up to cheek, and looking down the center rib of the barrel noticed the front sight was slightly to the right.almost every time mounting the gun to my shoulder I'd adjust my head to line up every thing..

I had a weird issue while practicing this past weekend. Hope someone can give me some insight.

We set up a small stage where we shot a slug (Fiochii low recoil) at paper then 6 birdshot(Rem STS Low recoil).

After the slug the bolt would cycle, a live round chambered, but the trigger would be dead. I would have to rack, ejecting the live round to get everything reset. I can not recall if there was also a live round on the gate or if i was having to hit the button to drop one. At least one of the times I did hear the bolt "lock" after i pulled the trigger, but the trigger was still dead when i tried again. By the time this problem started happening I had roughly 200 problem free rounds of the STS and at least 10 slugs.

From what I recall with the Bennelli guys it happens when they out run the trigger. I really doubt that was my problem because I could dump a tube of Nitro's as fast as i could pull the trigger right after the problem happened.

I had a weird issue while practicing this past weekend. Hope someone can give me some insight.

We set up a small stage where we shot a slug (Fiochii low recoil) at paper then 6 birdshot(Rem STS Low recoil).

After the slug the bolt would cycle, a live round chambered, but the trigger would be dead. I would have to rack, ejecting the live round to get everything reset. I can not recall if there was also a live round on the gate or if i was having to hit the button to drop one. At least one of the times I did hear the bolt "lock" after i pulled the trigger, but the trigger was still dead when i tried again. By the time this problem started happening I had roughly 200 problem free rounds of the STS and at least 10 slugs.

From what I recall with the Bennelli guys it happens when they out run the trigger. I really doubt that was my problem because I could dump a tube of Nitro's as fast as i could pull the trigger right after the problem happened.

Did u hear the hammer fall? Or was there nothing going on at trigger pull?

First has your trigger been modified ? If your trigger is not resetting there's where to start. Pull the trigger out; Function check it. If it wont release best to send it out for repair work because you might need parts which most of use don't have, and are still hard to get. (If its releasing smoothly every time) Clean it out with gun scrub synthetic, cue- tips, tooth brush and use a thin light oil like CLP or Rem. Run it again

Try some Remington Slugger rounds first. My M300 doesn't like Fiochii slugs one little bit.

First has your trigger been modified ? If your trigger is not resetting there's where to start. Pull the trigger out; Function check it. If it wont release best to send it out for repair work because you might need parts which most of use don't have, and are still hard to get. (If its releasing smoothly every time) Clean it out with gun scrub synthetic, cue- tips, tooth brush and use a thin light oil like CLP or Rem. Run it again

Trigger was done as part of MOA package. I disassembled and cleaned the whole thing after the issue happened. Everything in the trigger looks fine and functions as I would expect.

Function tested it today 10slugs (Fiochi/TruBall/Rem sluggers) all ran fine. I don't think the slugs have anything to do with it now.. just seems random.

Here is what I did today after taking it all the way down and cleaning/lubing.

Ran 50rds of Winchester AA Light load (2 3/4 Dram)and 30ish rounds of the Remington STS low recoil (2 3/4 Dram). Within the first 50rds the issue presented itself 3times. Twice with the STS and once with the AA.

All three times the spent shell extracted, hammer was reset, nothing on the gate, trigger dead. To get it ready to fire I would have to hit shell release(Put one on the gate) and rack the live shell out.

I don't know enough about whats happening; but the bolt is moving far enough to extract, and reset the hammer, but not far enough to reset the trigger?

This issue has not happened with Winchester AA SS (1300fps) or Remington Nitros(1300fps).

I would just blame the ammo and move on but the previous issues i've had with the walmart bulk boxes involved the gun just not cycling. It seems weird to me that with these other loads it goes through all the motions but the trigger is dead.

Edited by NickO

Cast - as in cast on or cast off refers to lateral moves. The shims that come with the MK3 only affect the up or down movement of the stock relative to bore line.

Here is an article about it:

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/fit.html

Ah, no-- look closely at your Stoeger shims. You can flip them around-- I did-- to pull the gun away from my (left-handed) face. I'd say this is a big selling point for the Stoeger that no one is mentioning.

So yes, you can change the cast, though maybe not in the increments you desire. I'm hoping someone will make a fancier set of the shims, or something. But it worked for me. One trip to the range, and I got the cast and drop correct with the shims. Dead on at 16 yards, thrown to shoulder. Doesn't much matter for 3-gun, but it does for skeet and trap.

Thanks Kuduman; Contacted Stoeger/ Benelli tech service today. Said they do make a CAST shim for Benelli, but nothing for Stoeger . There really way to nice; and sent me out one with NO guarantees it would even fit. That's costumer service over and beyond

I was wondering why

Cast - as in cast on or cast off refers to lateral moves. The shims that come with the MK3 only affect the up or down movement of the stock relative to bore line.

Here is an article about it:

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/fit.html

Ah, no-- look closely at your Stoeger shims. You can flip them around-- I did-- to pull the gun away from my (left-handed) face. I'd say this is a big selling point for the Stoeger that no one is mentioning.

So yes, you can change the cast, though maybe not in the increments you desire. I'm hoping someone will make a fancier set of the shims, or something. But it worked for me. One trip to the range, and I got the cast and drop correct with the shims. Dead on at 16 yards, thrown to shoulder. Doesn't much matter for 3-gun, but it does for skeet and trap.

I was wondering why the shims said R and L on them, I'm assuming the R side facing out will push the stock to the right?