Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

I have a question for you folks,

I have the oppertunuity to buy an almost brand new M2000 for really short money. is there much difference between it and the m3000?

I'm told there is mucho difference. Don't cheap out on an already cheap shotgun. Get an M3k.

I am going to, most likely this week.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question for you folks,

I have the oppertunuity to buy an almost brand new M2000 for really short money. is there much difference between it and the m3000?

I'm told there is mucho difference. Don't cheap out on an already cheap shotgun. Get an M3k.

Another upgrade guys :) Jesse you still going to Tarheel 3gun next weekend? If so I may catch up with you there as it is not far from me at all.

and hey if your Stoeger gives you trouble which it won't, you can run mine. :)

Ryan thanks and I'm likely to just leave it. I have a 3 gun match tomorrow, interested to see if there is any difference.

Guys attached is a photo to show stock front sight compared to Hi Viz Flame front sight

post-51323-0-08183000-1402698458_thumb.j

post-51323-0-47111900-1402698906_thumb.j

post-51323-0-00272800-1402698915_thumb.j

Edited by Oskino

Tom, I have a match tomorrow and came across this at Cabelas, 250 rds for 59.99. Slugs were 8 bucks for 10 rifled slugs. You think the Stoeger should be ok cycling this stuff?

post-51323-0-89100500-1402707706_thumb.j

post-51323-0-02649400-1402707715_thumb.j

Tom, I have a match tomorrow and came across this at Cabelas, 250 rds for 59.99. Slugs were 8 bucks for 10 rifled slugs. You think the Stoeger should be ok cycling this stuff?

The M3K will do just fine. Your shoulder may not.

Yes I'll be at the Freedom Munitions match next weekend.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

The M3K will do just fine. Your shoulder may not.

Yes I'll be at the Freedom Munitions match next weekend.

Ok thanks Jesse, also are you mainly shooting low recoil slugs?

Edited by Oskino

Fastest slugs I run are the Truball 1300s and I only run them because they are pretty accurate in my shotgun. Remember that energy is mass X velocity^2, so increases in velocity have an exponential effect on recoil, where energy increase is linear with changes in weight. If cycling is marginal, shooting a 1-1/8oz at 1200 gives 1572 ft-lbs at the muzzle, but a 1oz at 1300 gives 1639 ft-lbs. If they both cycle, the heavier, slower slug will have less felt recoil, though a more pronounced trajectory. That is why 1oz, 1560 fps slugs beat our shoulder so bad! Increase in muzzle energy goes to a whopping 2360 ft-lbs! All else equal, the slowest slug that will cycle your gun with good accuracy is KING. I just ordered in 200 Federal Truballs from Sportman's Warehouse before Ironman so I can shoot the same stuff 'til the end of summer. As soon as the Speer Lawman 1oz 1200s are available I will go back to those, as accuracy was good and they were under a buck a slug.

I tried the RIO Royal Star 1oz 1200s, and they cycled maybe 3/4 of the time. I am convinced that if we actually chrono-ed anything from RIO we would find that it is under spec, as their other loads feel light too. Here is an odd side note- Same RIOs run 100% if I switch out my IC choke for IM, and recoil is noticeably more. Apparently the increased bore restriction adds enough recoil to make the gun cycle. There is an interesting thought!

Tom

My Mossberg 930SPX is sold pending funds and I think I'll pick up a Stoeger. Any recomendations on where to get one and what barrel length would be "best" for 3-gun?

Tom - Are you selling them with all of your work already done yet?

Thanks fellas!

Finally shot my m3000 at trap. Ran 4 rounds of trap with Federal, Fiocci, and Rio 7.5 shot. Zero problems.

I'd like to thank Tom for his quality m3000 parts. He never forgot us lefties and now the only advantage jm pro has for me (center safety) is diminished.

My Mossberg 930SPX is sold pending funds and I think I'll pick up a Stoeger. Any recomendations on where to get one and what barrel length would be "best" for 3-gun?

Tom - Are you selling them with all of your work already done yet?

Thanks fellas!

Is The MOA safety reversible?

Safety is not reversible due to trigger design. We had to design a unique button for the left, with detents in a separate groove from the trigger notch. The tab on the back of the trigger is beveled to one side, so if you reverse a RH safety (factory or otherwise) it will fire in the on-safe position.

(for wbyrd's question) Many are of the opinion that the 24" with a +5 swings a little faster in target transitions, though the 26" also works well. Look for it in any of the bigger chains for best price (Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's, etc), as I still have not been able to establish contact with the Oregon sales manager. :( We build completes as fast as we can obtain them, but they are coming from the local Sportsman's Warehouse, so there really isn't much cost savings. Really wish the West Coast sales people at Stoeger were more helpful! The best we can do for now is get a slight break from SW if we buy multiples at a time

Edited by openclassterror

Sportsman's has the 26" for $489+tax. Am I gonna do much better than that?

Dicks seems to stock the 3500 for $449 around here, dunno if they stock the 3000 or if they can order it, or if you one around you.

Regarding price: I paid $430 for a 26" M3K back about two months ago. That was in Atlanta, FWIW.

Put 70-ish Fed birdshot and 5 Rem slugs through mine today at the Noveske Atlanta 3-gun match. Zero problems. Hadn't sighted in with slugs since I put on a tube clamp and new choke, but no problem with silhouettes at 40 yards... Five for five. Many others were having trouble with slugs, from what I saw.

Regarding price: I paid $430 for a 26" M3K back about two months ago. That was in Atlanta, FWIW.Put 70-ish Fed birdshot and 5 Rem slugs through mine today at the Noveske Atlanta 3-gun match. Zero problems. Hadn't sighted in with slugs since I put on a tube clamp and new choke, but no problem with silhouettes at 40 yards... Five for five. Many others were having trouble with slugs, from what I saw.

What choke are you running?

Oskino, do you have any photos of the HiViz mounted on the gun? Is the sight a little wider than the rib? And does the location of the tapped hole work out well with the location on the sight?

Regarding price: I paid $430 for a 26" M3K back about two months ago. That was in Atlanta, FWIW.Put 70-ish Fed birdshot and 5 Rem slugs through mine today at the Noveske Atlanta 3-gun match. Zero problems. Hadn't sighted in with slugs since I put on a tube clamp and new choke, but no problem with silhouettes at 40 yards... Five for five. Many others were having trouble with slugs, from what I saw.

What choke are you running?

I ran a Carlson extended "Skeet" choke yesterday. It's the "Benelli Crio Plus" type, if that's what you are asking.

Oskino, do you have any photos of the HiViz mounted on the gun? Is the sight a little wider than the rib? And does the location of the tapped hole work out well with the location on the sight?

Ryan it fits the rib perfectly, here are some photos man and I really do like it.

post-51323-0-63532700-1403012162_thumb.j

post-51323-0-30894700-1403012171_thumb.j

post-51323-0-44608200-1403012182_thumb.j

post-51323-0-04740000-1403012190_thumb.j

Edited by Oskino

I have the HiViz Compsight on mine and it is completely flush on the left of the rib. The right side hangs over just enough to feel it.

Did the Atlanta 3Gun this past weekend and my slug shots were on. Really happy with the sight. Also REALLY happy with the work that MOA did on the gun. Feels good to have a shotgun I know will run.. now if only I could do my part consistently :-)

I have the HiViz Compsight on mine and it is completely flush on the left of the rib. The right side hangs over just enough to feel it.

Did the Atlanta 3Gun this past weekend and my slug shots were on. Really happy with the sight. Also REALLY happy with the work that MOA did on the gun. Feels good to have a shotgun I know will run.. now if only I could do my part consistently :-)

Yah Nick O I am may do the Atlanta 3 Gun as I live in S.C. so not to far from me at all. FWIW my slugs are also right on with the Flame sight