Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

I'll be experimenting with different slugs soon. The Remington low recoils shot nicely and on paper at 30 and 50yrds, just wouldn't cycle my bolt.

a friend with a M2 uses some fiochii low recoil slug that I plan to try next.

Make sure you get the Fiocchi Aero LR 7/8oz 1300fps slugs; the slower 1oz slugs from Fiocchi tend not to cycle inertia guns reliably. If you are just borrowing from your friend's stash, the 7/8oz should be what he is already shooting...

ETA: And I just saw Tom's post. Kind of surprised at the Fiocchi results.

Edited by CJW

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1300 Truballs run in mine.. 100%

1200-1oz speer lawman 100%

1300-7/8oz Fiocchis, Depends on the lot. either 100% or 25% from case to case.

ANYTHING over 1350, regardless of brand 100%

Remington Reduced Sluggers (1200-1oz I think) 100%

My gun ran a box of the Tru Ball Federal 1300 fps fine too. Same thing runs in my XRail M2.

Fiocchi 1150 or 1300 wouldn't illy cycle.

Still need to blast the other 4 brands I have thru it.

Thanks Guys; Depending on the individual Gun, It appears (1300 to 1350 FPS ) is the minimum velocity for reliable cycling. Any thing less in velocity is hit or miss on cycling, but still worth trying. Guys has any of the slugs you've recommended or have shot shown constantly good accuracy out to 100 yards I'm talking group size not POA / POI `

The Speer Lawman slugs gave me 4" or better at 100, which is the best I can do with a fat bead and no rear sight :) . Best groups were with IC choke. Rem Sluggers gave about 5" with Mod choke, but I had to hold at the very bottom of the silhouette..... VERY MUCH a gun-to-gun thing. My Remington 1100 didn't like the sluggers at all

220 grit run lengthwise with the tube, then 320, 400, 600 run wet with WD40. Alternate between a cross-hatch polish and lengthwise to prevent digging grooves. 600 with WD, run in the direction of contact is plenty, though it does not hurt to go farther as Jesse did. You may have to start rougher than 220 if it is really bad, but the roughest on I have seen took about 15 min total starting with the 220.

Now if only I could send you my new, never fired Beretta A300 Outlander, and it amazingly came back as a fully worked up M3K! :D

My gun has been cycling everything...

1145 Win AA

1100 Rem STS low noise and recoil

Fiocchi 7/8 & 1 oz

Fed Bulk Pack.

I can remember one FTE out of everything I've run through it. Approx 400 rounds.

It is a back up gun for me.

looking to install some type of rear sight on my M3000 any suggestions?

I've tried most things. Xs rear dovetail, 10/22 and I really don't like a rear sight for anything other than slugs and then the big front bead covers up most targets and doesn't have a sharp defined edge to use for aiming. So I stone this idea from Rustin Bernskoetter. A little painters tape and a paint pen and you have a windage alignment aid. I adjust elevation by adjusting how much of the front bead isn't buried into the rib.

2A57936E-0843-4E43-9C5C-09CCA6C2133B_zps

What?!?!? Wait... so you're saying I can actually upgrade my Betsy for only a buck or two? With no mods to the gun? no freight or overnight delivery fees for the guy who cant wait a couple of days for the next latest and greatest? Say it isn't so ! All kidding aside, this is a great idea !!! Thanks for the help!!!!

If you prefer, you can fedex it overnight to my shop, and I can charge you hundreds of dollars to outline the triangle with a 1/32 ball-end mill in my CNC! :roflol:

Hehe! You know what, Jesse is on to something. Every time I have used a shotgun with a sight system set up for slugs, it has really slowed me down on the fast birdshot stages

If you prefer, you can fedex it overnight to my shop, and I can charge you hundreds of dollars to outline the triangle with a 1/32 ball-end mill in my CNC! :roflol:

Hehe! You know what, Jesse is on to something. Every time I have used a shotgun with a sight system set up for slugs, it has really slowed me down on the fast birdshot stages

I looked over the rear sight and miss everything high. The 10/22 didn't have a wide enough gap to allow any space on the sides of the front fiber.

The only match I've been to that really has precision slug shots is Rocky Mountain. Full on rifle sights and a 2lb trigger wouldn't be enough for those small far slug shots.

1145 Win AA

Fiocchi 7/8 & 1 oz

Fed Bulk Pack.

I can remember one FTE out of everything I've run through it. Approx 400 rounds.

Folks, this is useful info-- but it would be a lot more useful if you included your magazine length, and whether you tested these shells with a full magazine. Full magazine (maximum mass) is the worst case for an inertia gun.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a stock 3K would cycle with some weak shells-- and a ten-shot version, fully loaded-- would not.

All my ammo tests have been with a +9, at full stuff. For the reasons stated. Just because it cycles with 3 in the gun, doesn't mean it will run at 13! FWIW, my barrel is ported too, so anything that runs in mine should run in any broken-in M3000 with a shorter mag and no ports.

Went out hunting today looking for the elusive Low velocity 1300 -2 3/4 -Shotgun Slug its tough going. All I ended up with was Federal Truball low recoil 1300FPS, Remington Manage recoil 1200, Fiochi 1oz.low recoil 1150, that's it for around town. This is a challenge in and of it self. lol

Went out hunting today looking for the elusive Low velocity 1300 -2 3/4 -Shotgun Slug its tough going. All I ended up with was Federal Truball low recoil 1300FPS, Remington Manage recoil 1200, Fiochi 1oz.low recoil 1150, that's it for around town. This is a challenge in and of it self. lol

Where do you live? I've never seen a low recoil slug in Oklahoma.

The Front Range; I'll follow your lead, and order oniine, Gun shops look at you :surprise:huh. TomPow try what Jesse suggested first, I did it works great, and doesn't cost $100. There is a new post all about XS rear sight and who can install one for you.

Here is a pic of mine just polished the tube and installed new extension, folower, and clamp. All seems to work well dryfire practice. Thanks to Tom at MOA Percision, awesome products and taking care of the customer.

post-50070-0-74840200-1398514524_thumb.j

It's really hard to get that charging handle out!

Anyone else think the shell stop is maybe a little stiff? It's more difficult to get shells into than my previous shotguns.

The stock bolt handle is tough to remove. I used players.

As far as the shell stop goes, I think the Stoeger has a fantastic one. I like the "hinged" design much better than my Vmax.

1145 Win AA

Fiocchi 7/8 & 1 oz

Fed Bulk Pack.

Folks, this is useful info-- but it would be a lot more useful if you included your magazine length, and whether you tested these shells with a full magazine. Full magazine (maximum mass) is the worst case for an inertia gun.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a stock 3K would cycle with some weak shells-- and a ten-shot version, fully loaded-- would not.

All the shooting was done starting with 9 in the tube.