Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

I asked a gunsmith friend about the difference between the 3000 and 3500. This is what he told me.

The M3000 is a 2.75"/3" chamber gun, the M3500 is a 3.5" gun with longer receiver and stronger springs (the M3000 should cycle better with standard target loads.)[/size]

I just picked up my 3500 on Friday and shot 75 shells out of it on Saturday. Those shells that I shot were light loads and the gun never missed a beat I don't think the 3500 has any problems cycling light loads.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a M3000 a couple months ago and with 300rds so far with no problems. I got the 24 inch and added the +6 MXT NC tube (Nova/Super Nova model NC tube). I did have to do the mod by cutting off the metal the sticks out on the stock tube and sanded down the threads a bit. Now it goes on and comes off with ease. You could just screw it on as is but the threading will be tight. if you all are up to the mod check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBx8TkR5Hd8.

giarc01 - I took the plunge and openned up the loading port with just a dremmel tool and a lot of patience.

where are you folks finding the M3000?

I haven't seen any available locally I'm in the New Orleans area.

Also, what kind of prices are we looking at? i've read everything from $400 to $700 *shrugs*

I picked mine up at Cabelas for $549 but most people seem to be getting them on Gunbroker

I bought a M3000 a couple months ago and with 300rds so far with no problems. I got the 24 inch and added the +6 MXT NC tube (Nova/Super Nova model NC tube). I did have to do the mod by cutting off the metal the sticks out on the stock tube and sanded down the threads a bit. Now it goes on and comes off with ease. You could just screw it on as is but the threading will be tight. if you all are up to the mod check out

giarc01 - I took the plunge and openned up the loading port with just a dremmel tool and a lot of patience.

do you have any pictures? I'll be doing mine pretty soon

Sportsman's warehouse. I pd 450 plus background check last yr. Couldn't get one from any of my distributors, and I have an FFL. If you can't get one at a Cabelas, or Bass Pro, or whatever BIG shops are in your area, watch the gunbroker auctions. For opening up magwell, look for PE Kelley's thread on budget shotguns, he put pics there. I mimicked what he did on my Bridgeport and it works great.

Tom

where are you folks finding the M3000?

I haven't seen any available locally I'm in the New Orleans area.

Also, what kind of prices are we looking at? i've read everything from $400 to $700 *shrugs*

Gamder mountain. $479.00

Glad this platform is taking off! I just picked up the Shooting Illustrated with Kelley's article in it. Well written, Sir! I am such a believer in this platform I am running mine in open class. I am adapting an Arredondo speedloader funnel to work with it, but with my 13 round tube and a ghost load I start with 15 in the gun. Also in the works is a micro dot mount off the back of the receiver (ala miculek style) to get it back by my eye and down low behind the rib. 8 ports per side on the barrel just beyond the bracket, loading port mods, trigger job, and a big shell stop button round out the mods already done. It is so far the best 3 gun shotgun I have used for anything near the price, and gives up nothing to some costing more than twice as much.

Tom

Some advice for a newby trying 3 GUN. I have a STOEGER 3000 28 inch. I want to add an extension - been reading the posts. With a 28 inch barrel - should I get the 8+1 extension based on 3 gun rules - I will be shooting a G34 and AR with one optic - will 8+1 keep me in "tactical" class or at least not "Open" class? Should I get more than 8+1? I am ok with long barrels - I shoot 32 inch OU and 30 inch AUTOs in Sporting Clays. Which Nordic 12 gauge follower should I get - the "generic follower" or the one for Benelli/Nova?

Great thread - lots of good info here.

For 3 gun the vast majority of the rules for tac optics Etc are 8+1 at the buzzer after that anything you can load in the tube goes. That's one reason you see a lot of long tubes on the non open guns. A longer tube simply allows you to load more for how you want to and not how you need to so if you have 3 rounds left in the gun for instance and a long move to a window to shoot 8 and then a couple steps to shoot another couple rounds with a long tube you may choose to load the extra couple rounds in that long move where with a short tube you could only load 6 then have to load a couple more in a very short distance

Since your barrel is already 28", IMO there is no reason not to do at least a 10+1. Keep in mind that there are some matches that limit your mag tube capacity(Task Force Dagger is one of them). For matches with limiting capacities, just have a plug to limit the tube capacity. This will also make the last few rounds easier to load.

Patrick - Awesome find on this gun. Buying myself one for my birthday this month. ;) One question, though. Is the Shooting Illustrated article available to read online anywhere? I haven't seen it from searches and since I live in the People's Republic of Chicago it's not available on any newsstands locally.

Patrick - Awesome find on this gun. Buying myself one for my birthday this month. ;) One question, though. Is the Shooting Illustrated article available to read online anywhere? I haven't seen it from searches and since I live in the People's Republic of Chicago it's not available on any newsstands locally.

Sorry, not online...yet. They usually season a bit before making them available.

PM me your address, ill mail you mine when I finish with it.

PM me your address, ill mail you mine when I finish with it.

Thanks for the offer and Happy New Year!

Just a question here that maybe you folks can help me with. I just started shooting 3 gun this summer and have been borrowing a friend's Mossberg 930 for matches as I don't currently own a shotgun. I'm looking at a couple on gun broker right now as my birthday is this month and I'm hoping to be a little nice to myself this year.

There's a Winchester SX2 and a Stoeger M3000 for roughly the same cost and I'm curious which one you folks would recommend. Conventional wisdom, as well as my gut, tells me to go with the XS2 but reading this thread has made me pretty curious about the M3000. Any thoughts?