Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

I am not aware of any others that use the same thread, no. I will take it back apart one of these months to clean it, and measure and post the actual thread spec :roflol: . I do recall that it was both a slightly finer thread pitch (something like 1.5mm vs 1.75mm), and also .010 or .015 inches larger in diameter. The thing with mag tubes is that NONE are standard threads, they are pretty much all thin-wall square buttress threads, so diameter is determined by the thickness of whatever tubing the manufacturer spec'd for the tube. Possibly the tubing sourced in Turkey is a little thicker than what is standard in Italy. My son's cheapo H&R youth pump 20ga is chineeeeee, and ALMOST a copy of the lightweight Rem 870, but again, mag tube diameter was different, in spite of being the same pitch. Had to machine out his Choate extension threads as well. On the plus side, at the age of 11 he is out there shooting with me and his entire gear kit was under a grand. I wish I could say the same :surprise: .

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it was. I went off of information on another forum that the nova/ super nova would fit. Apparently it does on some of the early ones but not current production. I am thinking about making a run of adapter nuts on our CNC lathe if we can ever catch up. Since the Nordic modular tubes are available as individual components, you can buy everything but the nut from them and just screw the adapter nut to the Nordic tube. Not sure how many I would sell, but nobody seems to be serving the Stoeger market. I talked with arredondo about their speedloader brackets, and they said they can hardly keep up with the current selections and the stoeger is not on their radar. I may just drill and tap the sides of the receiver and adapt their Mossberg bracket to fit. Unfortunately that means customers would have to send in their shotguns, but as part of a package that includes opening up the loading port and adding a big side button I think I might start specializing in this platform. So far I still have no complaints. Will have more info coming up as I have matches almost every weekend for the next month. Should get a strong workout, probably another thousand rounds before Sept is over. I might actually have to clean it! :surprise:

I bought an M3000 earlier this year. It's been a great gun so far with NO FTF's or FTE's. Mine has the 28 inch barrel as I bought it for trap and skeet in general. Not sure if I have enough posts but I have a video review of the gun and several clay shooting videos with me using the gun. Just google "ADVfilmer".

Hi all-

hate to resurrect an older thread, but have some fresh info to add. It appears that there was a running change in production on the mag-tube threads. The current m3000 threads are a metric thread with a different pitch than the Supernova. I bought a Nordic modular mag tube, and I ended up re cutting the threads in the removeable adapter nut to fit the stoeger. Luckily, it is slightly larger, so even with the recut threads there is plenty of metal for a good joint after re-threading. An easy enough lathe job for any competent gunsmith. I have been using it to compete in open class all summer with a 13 shot extension, which allows 15 total with the ghost load. ZERO malfunctions since the day I bought it. I am impressed so far. I am working with arredondo in an attempt to get a speed loader bracket that is not drilled for the cross pin so I can adapt it to this platform. It does not appear to be a drop in fit for any of the Benelli models. If I can proto a speedloader funnel that works for this shotgun I will probably make several. As far as I am concerned, this shotgun is the best-kept secret on the market in the bang-for-buck category. I bought it as an inexpensive backup, and it has become my primary shotgun on any match I can shoot without needing speedloader tubes.

How many rounds do you have through it?

Hi all-

hate to resurrect an older thread, but have some fresh info to add. It appears that there was a running change in production on the mag-tube threads. The current m3000 threads are a metric thread with a different pitch than the Supernova. I bought a Nordic modular mag tube, and I ended up re cutting the threads in the removeable adapter nut to fit the stoeger. Luckily, it is slightly larger, so even with the recut threads there is plenty of metal for a good joint after re-threading. An easy enough lathe job for any competent gunsmith. I have been using it to compete in open class all summer with a 13 shot extension, which allows 15 total with the ghost load. ZERO malfunctions since the day I bought it. I am impressed so far. I am working with arredondo in an attempt to get a speed loader bracket that is not drilled for the cross pin so I can adapt it to this platform. It does not appear to be a drop in fit for any of the Benelli models. If I can proto a speedloader funnel that works for this shotgun I will probably make several. As far as I am concerned, this shotgun is the best-kept secret on the market in the bang-for-buck category. I bought it as an inexpensive backup, and it has become my primary shotgun on any match I can shoot without needing speedloader tubes.

How many rounds do you have through it?

Probably pushing 2,000 so far. I have only been shooting it as my primary since my 1100 bolt broke at the NWMGC

Agreed. Kinda wish there was a way to move this thread down to multigun shotguns. The 391 is better suited to dedicated clay bird shooting. BTW, Mr Kelley, it looks like the flared opening on your loading port is biased more to the support hand side. If that is what I am seeing, is that working well? most I have seen have been symmetrical.

Tom

Edited by openclassterror

Oh No! First failure!

Had my first FTF at the match this weekend. I ported the barrel last Thursday and flared the loading port, Never got a chance to test all the ammo types before the match. While using low base 1oz Federal #7-1/2s (cheap Wally World bulk stuff) I had ONE instance where the empty ejected, but it left the next round on the carrier. Racked the handle and continued, no more trouble. I know 1oz loads are at the very light end for inertia guns, but it never had an issue prior to porting the barrel. This is one of the few shotguns I have ported where there was a seat-of-the-pants noticeable difference in recoil. While it is likely that the issue is related to porting the barrel, it is also possibly from running it for about 2400 rounds without cleaning other than blowing the metal chips out after the machine work with compressed air! :roflol:

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

It took a while but finally got around to making a video of the extension installation. I have the 26" and used the +6 tube for a flush fit. Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped with info on how to get a great 3 gun shotgun set up.

Unfortunately it wont let me post a link to the video. If you search "stoeger m3000 extension tube" on youtube, I have 2 videos posted on it. One from cajunfighter87 and one from thetacticalbay

• 4 weeks later...

All the info in this thread has been great. Little dremel work and I was able to get a nordic +5 to work on the 24". Nice little blaster for under $550.00 so far. Need to visit my buddy with a bridgeport for some loading port work and i'll be gtg.

c66a92e6-86b0-43d7-bc80-f0455d15c2ab_zps[/url]

Edited by bowhazard

• 3 weeks later...

So I was set to buy a M3000, but then I saw they have possibly changed the thread pitch. Any idea what to look for? My local gun shop has one used for 375.

Is this new thread pitch confirmed by anyone else? I'd like to be able to cut off a piece and sand a bit, not take it to a machine shop trying to cut adapters.

I would like a inexpensive budget shotgun and not an expensive bang my head kick holes in the wall I spent a grand and 20 hours on budget shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...

The threads are nearly the same, and if you cut the tube end off, there are only about 3 full turns of thread engagement. That is why almost everyone says they will go most of the way on then tighten up. You are essentially re-forming the threads when you force it past that point. The correct fix is a properly threaded nut, but as has been said, grip it tight and it WILL go. If you remove it after and look inside the tube, the anodizing will be missing where the threads stretched. The reason I don't like this approach is that aluminum is more prone to brittle failure than mild steel (like the shotgun's factory tube), and 6061 doesn't handle cold-forming well. I can almost picture the tube launching itself and about 6 shells downrange right before the end of the fastest stage run of my life......... At least make sure you install the heavy-duty Nordic clamp if you use the "it ALMOST fits" method :)

Tom

I've had my M3000 for over six months now and shoot it a lot. So far this gun has been great for me. Nothing I can fault with it. Good feel, good looks, shoots clean. I have the 28" barrel. Weight is just right, trigger pull is just right. No jams, pretty much just shooting target loads 2 3/4" - 1 1/8 oz - 8 shot. Have shot 1 oz loads also with no jams at all. Haven't tried 3" shells. I imagine those are going to have a healthy kick to them but shooting 2 3/4" is mild. I could shoot them all day and my shoulder just says, "that's it?". I'm always happy when I put it in my car to go shooting, look forward to it. Best $500 I've spent.