Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

We recently got an M3K in that is not already pre-sold, and we will give it a thorough evaluation in factory form before taking it to the extreme limit on port work. It will be a test-bed for an all-out pushing the envelope race gun. I will start a new thread to track our progress, as soon as we are back on track with our backlog of work. Can't jump into a new project when there are customer guns overdue..........

Great to hear. Plan on getting in touch around the fall time frame to send my M3K in to get opened up more and some other smaller improvements.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom mentioned the TTI Trigger spring reduced the trigger pull on the m3000 from 6lbs to roughly 4.5 lbs. I didn't see them on TTI. can someone share the link?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I just ordered them. I think I had a brain fart when I was searching for them over the weekend.

Those are a great cheap upgrade. I put them in my M3K and they dropped the trigger pull from a gritty 9lbs to smooth 5.5 lbs with no other modifications.

Just be sure you have the hammer spring and (it's cover) pointed at a close wall or something when you take it off and put the new one on. It's oily and slick and if you lose your grip on it, that bad boy will launch to freedom, never to be seen again. The other thing you can do is do the spring swap inside a large, gallon ziplock bag. That will catch any parts that try to achieve liftoff.

H

Got the M3k in the mail today, it is light weight, put the MOA +5 tube on it and ordered the Benelli extractor and spring. Going to trash the bolt handle in favor of the MOA version. Loading port seems to work for the little man. i would prefer a larger port personally but we will see how he does with it. Impressed so far. Going to cut the stock down as soon as we can.

Just got in a Benelli extractor and can't get the pin holding the original out. Grrrr.

The pin is in an offset hole. You can't drive it through from the side that is easy to see. Clean the bolt head thoroughly and use a light to look in the hole on the opposite side. You can see about half of the end of the pin, where the holes mismatch. Using a small punch, drift it out until the pin is sticking out a little on the top side, then use pliers to pull it out. They usually aren't very tight, but if it doesn't come out easily with the pliers pressing on the outside of the extractor against the tension of the extractor spring will usually free it up. Unless you pounded on the end that was easy to see, in which case the pin may be mushroomed and you will have to drift it completely out from the bottom with a very skinny punch. Or so I have heard...... :blush:

Edited by openclassterror

Hey fellas - So, I saw 2 different M3Ks yesterday have issues with the shell hanging up before chambering. Both guns with less than 300 rounds through them.

Anyone do any chamber polishing when they got theirs?

I'm guessing one of those was mine (previously yours). It was definitely the big slip-on recoil pad that was to blame. The combination of the stock pad plus the slip on one was too soft and made the gun short stroke (like limp wristing a pistol). I took it off and just used the stock butt pad and that malfunction hasn't happened since. I did have one FTE, but I swapped out the extractor for the Benelli one so hopefully that is fixed too.

Btw, I don't know if you saw it, but you got a shout out from Jesse for your M3K review (post #2492 on page 100).

Good shooting with you this weekend. Man I need to get in better shape. Every time I watch video of me shooting it just looks like someone gave guns to a Yeti.

H

Two possible causes, (related) are most likely, but I will share a couple others as well.

1) Bolt is not fully closed. When viewed in slow motion, you can see that the bolt bounces when it closes. This is due to the inertia spring. When the bolt slams shut, it partially compresses the inertia spring, bounces back open about 3/8 to 1/2 inch, then slams shut. This occurs about 0.16 to 0.18 seconds after firing, and is a hallmark of all inertia operated guns (except the Ethos, which has a patented spring-plunger lock assist to prevent it). Most of us can't engage targets fast enough to shoot splits in this range, so we never experience a failure from this unless the gun is dirty. Fact is though, if the bolt isn't closed, the firing pin can't reach the primer. What happens when the bolt assembly is dirty is that when the bolt bounces, it doesn't fully re-seat. Under these circumstances, a great deal of the hammer's energy is expended slapping the carrier forward, resulting in a light strike on the primer.

2) Firing pin and/or spring are dirty, and bind in the channel. This requires much less explanation than the first. The solution in either case is a good cleaning and lubrication of the bolt and carrier assembly.

3) Lack of lubrication on carrier rails or outside of mag tube. Causes same affliction as 1), due to excess friction preventing the bolt from closing freely.

4) Hammer spring. We install a TTI Benelli hammer spring as part of our trigger work. It is weaker than the factory spring, but reduces trigger pull due to friction reduction between hammer and trigger. In our experience, it only lack sufficient force in case of 1), or 3). The factory hammer spring can mask these symptoms as it has enough force to push the bolt closed AND strike the primer until the bolt assembly is nasty dirty. If you are the kind of guy who cleans your guns once a decade whether they need it or not, it might be worth the increased trigger pull to go back to a factory spring. Of which I have probably over a hundred, so let me know if you want one :)

When you clean it, do you remove the bolt head and cam pin? Also, what type of lubricant do you use on the shank of the bolt head and the cam surface? What does the inertia spring look like when you pull it? Gunky, wet but clean, or fairly dry? Remington ammo generally isn't too bad, But I have noticed with the gun club stuff that there are often flakes of unburnt powder floating around the action after I use a quantity of it. I meant it about sending a factory hammer spring if the TTI one isn't reliably firing the ammo you use. Many of our take-off springs are brand new.

I just wanted to give a shout out to Tom at MOA Precision. They did a great job fixing my mess on my M3000. Shipped out, worked on and back at my door in 9 days. (includes the weekend).

I opened the port, but I was afraid to brick the gun. I also noticed that they even touched up my polishing on my magazine tube. I think the logo is a nice touch. Thanks Tom!!

Here's my mess

20150705_114402.jpg

The fix

20150717_040933.jpg

The added touch

20150717_040949_1.jpg