Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Hornady Zombie 3 Gun match in Grand Island. Awesome match. Our two M3000's that Tom at MOA jazz'd/mod'd up last fall for us were flawless with no malfunctions of any kind over the 3 days! Thanks MOA Precision, you rock these shotguns.

***** recoil spring spacer is shortened to increase reliability with light loads*****

Did i miss reading about this mod or is it Top secret MOA-ness.

i almost chop sawed mine but couldn't find where to buy a spare "just in case"

I asked about it when i first found this thread but got no answers. Anyone know where to buy one so I can experiment with it as well?

Other than asking Stoeger for one, I am not sure where to find the spacer. Numrich doesn't list it as available. There is not much to it, and somewhere 60 or 70 pages ago I talked about it. The spacer between the front of the receiver and the recoil spring serves 2 purposes- 1) it centers the fore end so it cant touch the spring, and 2) provides a buffer between spring and receiver. It is easy enough to cut approximately half of it off (the front half, as the back has two little spuds to locate it in the receiver) sand or grind it flat, and bevel the edges so the fore end still installs over it easily. This reduces the pre-load on the recoil spring, without cutting coils.

The XS is dovetailed into the rib. Approx 1/4 x .050 , but should be gunsmith fit unless you have the proper files and a dovetail cutter for a milling machine.

This is the sight, but the most expensive way to do it. We stock them in all 3 heights, but use a different front sight.

http://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993617&CAT=8263

There are a number of sights that can be attached to the rib on your barrel. I've used them for years on my old 11-87 until I got a rifle sighted barrel. I am currently using a set on my Stoeger. The are attached with small as in very small screws and they are adjustable both for windage and elevation.

In some respects I think that for other than slug shots they can be a hindrance. When you shoot flying birds in trap, SC and other you look at the target,the barrel is there and you hit what you look at. Add sights and you start to aim, aiming takes more time than knowing. This is a Shotgun, we are talking about a 20" pattern, not a 0.22" round. That does make a difference! Aim a rifle, Aim a Pistol, Point a Shotgun (except for Slugs)

The benefit of the XS is that it is VERY un-obtrusive. A shallow V, almost flush with the rib, with a white line below center. You really don't even notice it except when you need it. Our other most common option is a 10/22 folding sight. When it is down, the notch on the back side of the sight body lets you look right through it and down the rib. Only down side is that you gotta remember to flip it up when you need it, and get it out of the way for flying clays.

I'll add that personally I don't like the 10/22 option. Tom build my Stoeger and I asked for the 10/22 sight, but I find that I really dislike it. This isn't Tom's fault at all, it may be just how I hold a a gun, but I think the 10/22 option is too tall even when machined into the rib as low as it is. Basically even with the sight folded down and a mark on the rear of it I still shoot high at 50 yards by as much as 6". To make it work for me I had to remove the movable blade, mark the rear of the sight, and I still have to very careful to lower the front bead enough. I can make solid hits at all silly distances so it "works" but in retrospect I wish I had gone for the XS option.

This could be in part because I think I have a "defective" rib on my barrel. It looks to me like the rib is not straight on the barrel, the rear of the rib if a VERY tinny bit to the right o of the receiver, but then it wraps around the barrel and it ends up being a bit to the right of center at the muzzle end. For birdshot targets it doesn't seem to make a huge difference, but for slugs it leads to the gun shooting the right when the sights are "aligned". This might also mean that the front sight is lower then it should be, leading to my elevation issue.

Tom, I tried to take some pictures for you but it is hard to get the right perspective with the camera's I have. I talked to Stoeger, they said they'll look at it but it is a 8 week wait and they suggested I wait until end of the season to send it to them.

So I have been playing around with different carriers and ordered a spare breach bolt latch and breach bolt latch pin so I wouldn't need to keep swapping the stock one back and forth. The new latch is a Benelli part for the M2. As you can see from the picture below, the scalloped cut is on the opposite side from the stock Stoeger part. Does anyone know if the cut serves a purpose, or is it just there to cut weight?

Stock part is on the left, Benelli on the right:

20150601_212956%20copy.jpg

Edit: Hand cycling with dummy rounds produces the desired result.

Edited by moose76

Im curious if any of you hardcore Stoeger M3000 guys have looked at the Franchi Affinity for 3-gun. I bought one for $659 shipped off of gun broker to modify but haven't had time to do so yet.

The gun is built almost identical in function to the Stoeger M3000 with the recoil spring around the OEM mag tube and action bars running to the bolt carrier. The bolt/carrier is almost identical to a Benelli M2. The trigger group and lifter are almost identical to a Benelli too. In fact I dropped my M2 trigger group right in the Affinity. It functioned during dry fire too. It wasn't a perfect fit cosmetically though. So I just dropped a Benelli welded lifter in it. I have never actually shot the gun but it feels lighter then an M3000 and at least $200 nicer then the M3000. I'm not sure why nobody has stumbled into this as a 3-gun option. I really wanted to bring it to the game but I just haven't had time.

Since its built in the Benelli plant versus in turkey like the Stoeger I expect a lot less variation in build quality too.

I wouldn't be scared to run one. Hopefully somebody will give it a go.

Im curious if any of you hardcore Stoeger M3000 guys have looked at the Franchi Affinity for 3-gun. I bought one for $659 shipped off of gun broker to modify but haven't had time to do so yet.

The gun is built almost identical in function to the Stoeger M3000 with the recoil spring around the OEM mag tube and action bars running to the bolt carrier. The bolt/carrier is almost identical to a Benelli M2. The trigger group and lifter are almost identical to a Benelli too. In fact I dropped my M2 trigger group right in the Affinity. It functioned during dry fire too. It wasn't a perfect fit cosmetically though. So I just dropped a Benelli welded lifter in it. I have never actually shot the gun but it feels lighter then an M3000 and at least $200 nicer then the M3000. I'm not sure why nobody has stumbled into this as a 3-gun option. I really wanted to bring it to the game but I just haven't had time.

Since its built in the Benelli plant versus in turkey like the Stoeger I expect a lot less variation in build quality too.

I've looked at them also Jesse. My local Sheels has a large supply of Franchi and Stoeger so have handled both and prefer the feel of the Franchi over the Stoeger. IMO it is lighter and I thinner in width.

So since you have one... Where is the serial number located? Does either a Stoeger or a benelli tube fit the franchi?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I've looked at them also Jesse. My local Sheels has a large supply of Franchi and Stoeger so have handled both and prefer the feel of the Franchi over the Stoeger. IMO it is lighter and I thinner in width.

So since you have one... Where is the serial number located? Does either a Stoeger or a benelli tube fit the franchi?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I actually just sold mine because I haven't had time to do anything to it. Tyler from Samson is gonna rig it up.

The serial number is rearward. Nordic already makes a nut for the Franchi.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

YEA! I'd agree; I've been Following "SMG" reviews before I'd ever heard of Stoeger. He and his son do a great unbiased reviews. Check out his 3Gun rifle scope reviews really good straight up Testing on allot of '3 Gun' gear he's bought. Once again Good job SMG keep up the good work.

Just picked up my 26" M3000 on Monday. I've been wanting to pick one up for a while. It meets my expectations well for a gun in this price range! Pumped about 200 rounds down the pipe through the week. Took the dremel to the loading port, and polished the tube where the action rides. I also stuck a hi-vis sight on it already and grabbed a couple Carlson extended chokes.

I ordered some stuff from MOA earlier in the week. Double sided safety, follower, bolt handle, bolt release and a +6 extension. I want to use the gun in a club match tomorrow, so just for now I borrowed a Carlson nova/supernova extension that a buddy of mine had laying around. I threw it on there tonight. Had to take the unthreaded part off the tube since the thing left about 1/8" play in the barrel, but other than the tube bottoming out, the threads fit together perfectly(serial 1362***). It's not the best looking option, but it gets me 7 in the tube, so 9 total with a ghost load.

I found it points best for me with the 65* shim in the stock, but I still need to hack a little off the stock one of these days and put a cushier recoil pad on.

Very happy with my purchase, and I appreciate all of you that contributed to this thread and put up all the youtube vids, etc. Very helpful info!!!

Edited by hartofthethumb

Well, the new M3000 ran flawlessly yesterday, but I made too many other mistakes for that to matter. Best part of the day was when I got home and found my package from MOA waiting for me.

I threw the +6 tube on with the MOA nut and follower, and swapped out the bolt handle and safety. I didn't do the bolt release yet since I seem to have lost track of all my small taps. I'll have to pick one up so I can get that on there too.

all the MOA stuff is great! Love the bolt handle, and the way it rotates freely. The safety is a huge HUGE improvement over stock for ease of use, and it looks great too! The follower is super smooth and glides down the tube much better than the factory part.

Thanks MOA!!!

Where is the best place to purchase a M3k model?

[emoji15]

What are you up to, man?

Ha Ha I have somebody getting started in 3gun looking for one. I actually already have a regular 3000 I use as a backup.

Where is the best place to purchase a M3k model?

[emoji15]

What are you up to, man?

Ha Ha I have somebody getting started in 3gun looking for one. I actually already have a regular 3000 I use as a backup.

Cool, nice of ya. I'll try to remember to pick your brain next time at the range, as I've been curious about one as a backup also.

Hey all,

I just wanted to give you guys a one-year review of the Stoeger M3000 put together for me by Tom (openclassterror) over at MOA Precision. I bought the package from MOA immediately after last year's MGM Ironman. It's seen six matches, including the 2014 Hard As Hell where it helped me win the limited division, and the recent MGM Ironman, where it helped me eek out 4th in the same. I have sprinted 100 yards on several occasions to hand it to other people who had a gun go down, and I have had it go down myself and had others do the same for me. So, here it goes.

The build is as follows...

12+1 capacity as part of the MOA package:

Perfect. It lets me drop in a quad load after the buzzer when it makes sense, or simply load more when I'm coming into a position where it will help. Having to plug to eight in the tube for 3GN matches really changes the load plan, and makes me miss the extra space.

MOA oversized bolt release, safety, and charging handle:

I really like the safety and charging handle, but I found the front edge of the bolt release to be a bit sharp, and it scratched my palm when I drug in a shell from the match saver. I replaced it with a penny. Most people love the MOA knob though, so don't toss it unless you need to.

Trigger job:

I didn't think much of a trigger job on a shotgun, but my brother bought an M3000 recently, and after trying his stock trigger I'm convinced that it's worth it. I recently saw that the trigger stop screw on the back of the trigger guard was gone, and I have no idea when it parted company, so I guess I don't notice it too much.

Lifter:

I had the lifter welded by a friend, and it helped for loading twins, but I don't think it makes a difference for quads.

Loading Port:

I had Tom leave the port stock, and I picked at it over the course of the winter to get it where I wanted. Then I messed with it more when I switched to quad loading. I squaded with Tom and his son at MGM, and when I looked at his CNC job, it is basically identical to where I ended up, but looks nicer. I should have had him do it in the first place.

Other stuff:

I put a stripe of paint on the rise in the vent rib to act as a rear sight, and it works great for slugs. Tom's work polishing the outside of the magazine tube let's the gun run some pretty light loads, but I eventually ended up shooting 1200fps 1 1/8 shot anyway just to keep things simple.

Reliability and Malfunctions...

For the first couple matches and about a case of shells worth of practice shooting, the gun ran without a problem.

At Hard As Hell, near the end of the match, it developed an issue that bit me during a stage. I made it through the rest of the match, called Tom for some ideas, pulled the trigger out, and figured out that the set screw which adjusts the disconnector had backed off 1/99th of a turn and the disconnector was not releasing the hammer. This was fixed with a little Locktite and re-adjusting the screw which can be reached from the under-side of the trigger without even taking it out of the gun. I now check the disconnector before each match, which is very easy to do. The lesson here... check your screws and use lots of Locktite.

During practice a few hundred round later I developed an extraction problem. I replaced the extractor and spring with Benelli M2 parts, and it ran like a sewing machine again. The lesson here... parts wear out. Replace them with good ones when they do, and have spares ready.

At this past Ironman, after several more matches and many thousands of rounds of live fire and in dry fire loading practice, the magazine spring compressed enough to let the gun hold 12 15/16th shells instead of just 12. This let me top off the gun a little too aggressively once and get the extra shell far enough into the tube that the lifter came half way up and caught it. Tom showed me how to make a short plug for the end of the tube so the 13th shell would only go half-way in the way it was supposed to, and simply spit out when I finished loading. (remember, quads... so everything has to come in 4s, and sometimes you only need 3). The lesson here... change your springs.

Other than that, this gun has had very few minor malfunctions, and far, far less than most of the shotguns I see around me at matches.

Final thoughts...

This is a great gun, and the price point makes it even more impressive. It's leaps and bounds better than the 930 that I was running before. Tom's work is impeccable, his prices for the upgrades are both reasonable and worth every cent, and he goes out of his way to make sure his customers are happy. More than that, he's a good guy. It was a pleasure to shoot with him and his son at Ironman, and I'm happy to support his product.

Is the M3000 a Benelli M2? Nope. I'm sure the M2 would shoot a little flatter, run a little smoother, and probably last a bit longer before parts wear out. And for more than double the price, it better. I'll stick with my Stoeger until an M2 falls out of the sky or I find out that I have two grand I forgot about, and I'm only allowed to spend it on a shotgun. I'd buy a Stoeger again in a second.

Highlights from the MGM match are here... heavy on shotgun work :)

Shoot fast and don't miss,

Adam