Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Look at the other "Best Kept Secret...." thread started by GunfighterUK.......last picture in his first post shows the Benelli M2 handle I fit to the Stoeger. It can be done and is the closest thing to the factory you will get. The Stoeger's is smaller in diameter and it does index off a flat spot close the handle side. I worked the whole overall diameter down and then once it would fit I then made the center part of the shaft flat on the top side as a relief cut for the firing pin. Worked flawless so far.......

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the other "Best Kept Secret...." thread started by GunfighterUK.......last picture in his first post shows the Benelli M2 handle I fit to the Stoeger. It can be done and is the closest thing to the factory you will get. The Stoeger's is smaller in diameter and it does index off a flat spot close the handle side. I worked the whole overall diameter down and then once it would fit I then made the center part of the shaft flat on the top side as a relief cut for the firing pin. Worked flawless so far.......

Did it fit right in or did you have to finagle it a bit? From his post it sounded like it was custom fit at first.

Based on the article of Mr. Kelley's in shooting illustrated and the discussion here, I just picked up a 3000 myself. Ended up with the 26" because they didn't have a 24" in stock. If I feel the need to go shorter I'll pick up another barrel later I guess.

Figured it would work better than my 1300 Defender, and who doesn't like that new gun smell. ;-)

Edited by Vista461

Based on the article of Mr. Kelley's in shooting illustrated and the discussion here, I just picked up a 3000 myself. Ended up with the 26" because they didn't have a 24" in stock. If I feel the need to go shorter I'll pick up another barrel later I guess.

Figured it would work better than my 1300 Defender, and who doesn't like that new gun smell. ;-)

The one in the article is a 26". Handles pretty good.

Ok. Pulled the trigger today on a Stoeger M3000 26". I found it at a LGS for $449. I couldn't let it go, but the salesman assured me he had another in the box :) .

I have 2 questions:

1. The manual doesn't mention if I should use grease or oil or both on the which moving parts. The mag tube does have a thicker grease on it, but that grease does look quite dirty. What are the general lube rules for an inertia drive system.

2. What length mag tube should I get? +5 or 6, the 6 looks to come out to the end of the barrel, but which is better for 3gn rules. Is it generally better to have the portion to load 10+1, even if the rules state you can only start with 9+1?

Ok. Pulled the trigger today on a Stoeger M3000 26". I found it at a LGS for $449. I couldn't let it go, but the salesman assured me he had another in the box :) .

I have 2 questions:

1. The manual doesn't mention if I should use grease or oil or both on the which moving parts. The mag tube does have a thicker grease on it, but that grease does look quite dirty. What are the general lube rules for an inertia drive system.

2. What length mag tube should I get? +5 or 6, the 6 looks to come out to the end of the barrel, but which is better for 3gn rules. Is it generally better to have the portion to load 10+1, even if the rules state you can only start with 9+1?

Congrats on your purchase. That is one heck of a gun for the money. I look forwarded to checking it out.

1. Can't help you.

2. I would run a tube out to the end of your barrel. First, there are many matches that don't limit the number of rounds you can have in the gun. Second, more capacity allows you freedom to load when it is more desirable. Third, the longer tube makes it easier to load due to less spring pressure.

Edited by Ryan N

I have 2 questions:

Congrats on your purchase. That is one heck of a gun for the money.

1. Can't help you.

2. I would run a tube out to the end of your barrel. First, there are many matches that don't limit the number of rounds you can have in the gun. Second, more capacity allows you freedom to load when it is more desirable. Third, the longer tube makes it easier to load due to less spring pressure.

Why not run the tube out past the barrel?

I have 2 questions:

Congrats on your purchase. That is one heck of a gun for the money.

1. Can't help you.

Why not run the tube out past the barrel?

I most likely won't run it out past the barrel, but only because I think the shotgun is on the verge of being to long as it is.

I do have a concerns about the M3000 though, regarding the long length of pull:

1. I am 5' 9", so a fairly small statured guy, the length of pull is a little long on me.

2. Are there shorter, maybe a youth stock option?

3. Can you cut down the stock by 0.5"-0.625" and make a butt pad fit?

I am hoping someone is willing to remove their buttpad, take a photo, and post it.

1. I am still 5' 9", although a little fatter than I was at this time last year. :)

2. I haven't been able to locate any youth, shorter stocks on the internet.

3. After removing my butt pad, I believe it would be fairly easy to remove length off the end of the stock and re shaping the butt pad. The female joint for the butt pad screws are roughly 1.3" deep and the provided screws stick out past the butt pad by 0.75". I think taking off 0.5" wouldn't be hard, just be aware your screws may bottom out. I think if you wanted to take off more, it may be possible to go as far as 0.75" - 1.0", with new shorter screws, it would ultimately come down to how much thread engagement you felt comfortable with.

I have 2 questions:

I don't use grease in any of my shotguns. Mobil 1 synthetic on the inertia spring, carrier rails and bolt. Powder graphite from napa in the mag tube. I'm guessing a little oil on the recoil spring but I haven't seen one yet to know for sure.

The one in the article is a 26". Handles pretty good.
I saw that, just thought I might like the 24 better, but then I figured a 26" in hand is worth a 24" in the bush. :)

I have 2 questions:

I don't use grease in any of my shotguns. Mobil 1 synthetic on the inertia spring, carrier rails and bolt. Powder graphite from napa in the mag tube. I'm guessing a little oil on the recoil spring but I haven't seen one yet to know for sure.

Sound advice JT! Where did you here about the powdered graphite? That has been my trick since about 1990.

I have 2 questions:

Sound advice JT! Where did you here about the powdered graphite? That has been my trick since about 1990.

KurtM told me about it back before he hated me.

Just my opinion...I don't understand the need for an Oversize bolt handle. A "cool guys" accessory for sure, but I have never found a need for the

piece. The few that I have..I have cut down.

I feel vindicated, Pat! I took the oversize bolt handles off my shotguns several years ago and have not missed them. Never have figured out why they seem to be so necessary with most shooters. The big ones seem to pop out at just the wrong time (as if any time is good) and they may hang up and cause malfunctions while shooting left side barricade.

I always just liked the round Nordic Components one that spins. That way I can sweep my hand back like I'm pumping a pump shotgun and catch the bolt handle with my driving finger to load the chamber or clear a jam. The rotating handle gives more and let's my finger roll off of it. A little extra length and OD helps not tear my finger off. Of course you can do the same thing with a stock handle but it won't rotate and definitely doesn't look ATAS. I never understood the super huge oversized ones that add reciprocating weight to the bolt carrier. Especially after you pay good money to get the bolt carrier cut down to shave weight.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I got to put my hands on a 24" M3500 at a gun store today. I am very impressed with the smoothness of the action on this gun. I can only describe it as Benelli-ish. The inside of the receiver seemed to be coated with a silver or while coating (almost appeared to be bare Aluminum). The loading gate also felt really nice. Price was marked $549. When I asked if he could do any better on it, he said cash price of $520. Definitely not the best price on these, but still seems worth the money to me.

Is the M3500 receiver 1/2" longer than the M3000? I think I would prefer the M3000 due to the tendency to cycle lighter loads better.

I got to put my hands on a 24" M3500 at a gun store today. I am very impressed with the smoothness of the action on this gun. I can only describe it as Benelli-ish. The inside of the receiver seemed to be coated with a silver or while coating (almost appeared to be bare Aluminum). The loading gate also felt really nice. Price was marked $549. When I asked if he could do any better on it, he said cash price of $520. Definitely not the best price on these, but still seems worth the money to me.

Is the M3500 receiver 1/2" longer than the M3000? I think I would prefer the M3000 due to the tendency to cycle lighter loads better.

I just bought mine off gunbroker.com for about $100 cheaper. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=386627770

They haven't had a lot but about once a week or so I see them and they're rarely more than $450.

Well my Nordic tube came in this afternoon. I did decide to extend the tube past the barrel. That is a +8 tube on a 26" barrel. It does easily hold 12+1. Still haven't had a chance to shoot it, it will be at least 10 days or so before I get to shoot it. :(

I did go ahead and purchase the Nordic Low Drag Follower, mistake... It isn't the same shape so don't buy one. If any one wants this one let me know, I am going to see if they will take it back.

Edited to add the photo.

post-49290-0-39252800-1389139151_thumb.j

Edited by Butterpuc

Did your extension nut thread on easily? Was it an EXT or MXT tube? I am still trying to figure out how many have the fitment issues. Starting to sound like they have resolved the thread problems, as all the new owners seem to be just screwing the tubes right on. That is a good thing!

Tom

No, it did not fit right up. There is a fantastic video posted earlier in this thread by someone, I took some of that advice and tried it out.

From my investigating, the Nordic nut ID of the threads measured 0.980" and the OD of the threads of the Stoeger Mag tube measured 1.002". I did lightly sand the threads down a little on the Nordic nut to increase the ID, but not by much ~0.010" and it did fit a little easier.

I did not cut off the ~0.25" un-threaded portion of the Stoeger mag tube. I placed the Nordic nut on the tube as far as I could and then measured to see if the Nordic tube extension would come all the way in contact with the stoeger mag tube. It did. Also keep in mind the tube is chamfered on the ID so that it fits around the OD of the guns mag tube.

From there I put it together, really tightening down the Nordic nut (really tight) and placing the extension on. I stuck one of my smaller flashlights in the loading port to shine up through the tube to see if there was a significant gap between the Stoeger and Nordic tube, there wasn't, only a very small seam (this was done before fully assembling and after). I did take a photo with my iPhone, I don't know how good the quality will be when it uploads to here. The only photo I could get was the assembled photo, I just couldn't hold the extension to the Stoeger mag tube and hold an iPhone camera steady enough to get a photo ;) .

Keep in mind, I have not fired this shotgun yet, and it may be a little while before I can. I did place one shot shell in the mag tube (assembled, but leaving the end cap of the tube off) to see if it would hang-up at the seam. I was very easy tilting the shotgun back and forth until I could hear/feel the rim of the shotshell hit the seam, when it stopped, I gave a little more tilt and it would slide right out. At this point, I am not concerned about it, but I will keep track of it.

There is a second photo I am going to try and upload. It is a photo of the Nordic nut installed on the Stoeger mag tube. It is hard to discern what you are looking at, but you can see the fine threads of the Nordic nut and at the bottom of the threads you can see the end of the Stoeger mag tube just barely extending over the fine threads. This tells me that if I were to tighten the Nordic tube down it will contact Stoeger tube. I believe the two tubes are in full contact.

post-49290-0-78223600-1389138730_thumb.j

post-49290-0-83640900-1389138763_thumb.j

Did your extension nut thread on easily? Was it an EXT or MXT tube? I am still trying to figure out how many have the fitment issues. Starting to sound like they have resolved the thread problems, as all the new owners seem to be just screwing the tubes right on. That is a good thing!

Tom

Sorry I didn't answer your other question, it was the MXT.

I did go ahead and purchase the Nordic Low Drag Follower, mistake... It isn't the same shape so don't buy one. If any one wants this one let me know, I am going to see if they will take it back.

Interesting, because that Noridc follower fit better than the stock Stoeger follower in my 3000.