Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

Oh man, that is a tough choice. The proven and extremely fast action of the SX2 or the new kid on the block which uses a tried and true inertia design. Very tough choice. Some general observations about both platforms... Inertia guns in general are lower maintenance (+1 M3000). Inertia guns stay cleaner (+1 M3000). Inertia guns tend to run in worse conditions (+1 M3000). The twist bolt design from Benelli lasts longer than any other shotgun design... by a long stretch (+1 M3000). Gas guns kick softer (+1 SX2). Gas guns have a noticeably faster action... SX2 is the fastest (+1 SX2). Gas guns will generally shoot lighter loads (+1 SX2).

I think in general (and this is true for me also), the SX2/SLP platform became popular because the cost of getting into a race ready M2 is very high. With the lower cost of the M3000 it sort of levels the playing field a bit and probably tips it in favor of the M3000. As a general observation, the M3000 should last longer, run under a wider range of conditions, be lower maintenance and easier to clean. The flip of that coin is that the SX2 will have a faster action and run lighter loads, but will last half as long and be more work to keep running. I ran an SLP for several years and really liked it, but it did have it's little quirks. I've never run an M3000, but Pat's input carries a lot of weight with me and the gun is based on a very well proven design. I now run the Versamax which is a low maintenance gas gun and borrows the Benelli twist bolt design (actually they outright stole it). I will be purchasing two auto loaders this year for my kids and I am seriously considering the M3000.

The last piece of the puzzle is fit. In the end, you will shoot the gun that fits you the best. So whichever gun you get must either fit you well or it must be adjustable enough to make fit.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man, thanks so much for the input. You're right about everything. I've been going over that myself. I don't want to be swayed by the Winchester over Stoeger name and reputation as much as cold hard facts, too, and Pat's opinions and experience are difficult to not factor in to this one. Decisions... decisions...

I've never seen anyone running an SX2 or similar gun with anything lighter than you can shoot in a Benelli. Maybe 50 fps difference in loads but that doesn't amount to much since I fluctuate between 1145 & 1300 fps loads depending on the targets that need to be shot.

As for speed of cycling does that even matter? Nobody's out running inertia guns In matches are they?

The biggest difference is the softer recoil but that isn't worth the loss of reliability IMHO.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Dang, I would give my left........um..... you know - to be able to outrun my inertia gun! Even if I am just speed shooting without aiming it is hard for me to pull the trigger faster than it goes. Kelley also mentioned in one of these threads that his cycles slightly faster than his M2, which is FAST. And btw, not all gas guns ARE fast, the Rem 1100 being a good example. I distinctly remember hitting the point where I was conscious of waiting for the feeling of the carrier releasing forward before triggering the next shot.

Oh man, that is a tough choice. The proven and extremely fast action of the SX2 or the new kid on the block which uses a tried and true inertia design. Very tough choice. Some general observations about both platforms... Inertia guns in general are lower maintenance (+1 M3000). Inertia guns stay cleaner (+1 M3000). Inertia guns tend to run in worse conditions (+1 M3000). The twist bolt design from Benelli lasts longer than any other shotgun design... by a long stretch (+1 M3000). Gas guns kick softer (+1 SX2). Gas guns have a noticeably faster action... SX2 is the fastest (+1 SX2). Gas guns will generally shoot lighter loads (+1 SX2).

I think in general (and this is true for me also), the SX2/SLP platform became popular because the cost of getting into a race ready M2 is very high. With the lower cost of the M3000 it sort of levels the playing field a bit and probably tips it in favor of the M3000. As a general observation, the M3000 should last longer, run under a wider range of conditions, be lower maintenance and easier to clean. The flip of that coin is that the SX2 will have a faster action and run lighter loads, but will last half as long and be more work to keep running. I ran an SLP for several years and really liked it, but it did have it's little quirks. I've never run an M3000, but Pat's input carries a lot of weight with me and the gun is based on a very well proven design. I now run the Versamax which is a low maintenance gas gun and borrows the Benelli twist bolt design (actually they outright stole it). I will be purchasing two auto loaders this year for my kids and I am seriously considering the M3000.

The last piece of the puzzle is fit. In the end, you will shoot the gun that fits you the best. So whichever gun you get must either fit you well or it must be adjustable enough to make fit.

I forgot to add that I agree with everything said here. In a match though most of it don't matter.

I've never seen anyone running an SX2 or similar gun with anything lighter than you can shoot in a Benelli. Maybe 50 fps difference in loads but that doesn't amount to much since I fluctuate between 1145 & 1300 fps loads depending on the targets that need to be shot.

As for speed of cycling does that even matter? Nobody's outrunning inertia guns I'm matches are they?

The biggest difference is the softer recoil but that isn't worth the loss of reliability IMHO.

But that's my basic question. Reliability. Yes, the inertia design is proven but is the Stoeger as reliable. I guess we'll find out shortly because I'm going to pull the trigger on one here in the next hour.

On another note, this is what I love about the shooting sports. The fact that I can ask questions and even guys I see on television like Jesse chime in with their thoughts. One of the reasons I've stayed with match shooting is the camaraderie and easy sharing of knowledge without ego. Not too many other sports where you see that. Thanks again, everyone!

Also, the Stoeger I'm looking at has a 26" barrel and the SX2 has a 24" with truglo sights. Not sure how that swings it. I'd prefer the slightly shorter barrel but I doubt that an extra 2" is going to be a deal breaker for me. I'll still probably put the longest mag tube I can find on it regardless.

Edited by iswope

As for speed of cycling does that even matter? Nobody's outrunning inertia guns I'm matches are they?

But that's my basic question. Reliability. Yes, the inertia design is proven but is the Stoeger as reliable. I guess we'll find out shortly because I'm going to pull the trigger on one here in the next hour.

On another note, this is what I love about the shooting sports. The fact that I can ask questions and even guys I see on television like Jesse chime in with their thoughts. One of the reasons I've stayed with match shooting is the camaraderie and easy sharing of knowledge without ego. Not too many other sports where you see that. Thanks again, everyone!

Also, the Stoeger I'm looking at has a 26" barrel and the SX2 has a 24" with truglo sights. Not sure how that swings it. I'd prefer the slightly shorter barrel but I doubt that an extra 2" is going to be a deal breaker for me. I'll still probably put the longest mag tube I can find on it regardless.

26", 24"... I don't think it matters much. My Versa is a 26" and my Super Nova is 24". I like them both. I guess I like 24" better, but both guns are a joy to shoot. You can get the M3000 in 24" if you shop around.

One thing about both Jesse and Pat, is that they like to experiment and both run their gear on the uppermost level. I for one appreciate their input because I know It's got some experience behind it and they are not afraid to try unusual set ups.

Bought this 26" Stoeger 3000 off of GB for $429, added a Nordic +6 tube, Nordic low drag follower (because the stock follower was dragging) and installed a Carlson LM choke tube (Beretta thread pattern). Have about 150 rounds through it of various cheap Wal-Mart low-brass bulk shells. No malfunctions to report. So far I am one happy camper! I plan to install a TTI safety, shoot it this season and then have the loading port opened up next winter. I appreciate all the advice and info in this thread.

Interesting note: even though I had the unthreaded portion of the stock mag tube, I simply screwed on the Nordic extension and everything worked fine. I did not have to cut, trim, or dremel anything.

IMG_1018_zps1ebdfd08.jpg

IMG_1019_zpsf3376b76.jpg

Edited by Bill Schwab

Bought this 26" Stoeger 3000 off of GB for $429, added a Nordic +6 tube, Nordic low drag follower (because the stock follower was dragging) and installed a Carlson LM choke tube (Beretta thread pattern). Have about 150 rounds through it of various cheap Wal-Mart low-brass bulk shells. No malfunctions to report. So far I am one happy camper! I plan to install a TTI safety, shoot it this season and then have the loading port opened up next winter. I appreciate all the advice and info in this thread.

Interesting note: even though I had the unthreaded portion of the stock mag tube, I simply screwed on the Nordic extension and everything worked fine. I did not have to cut, trim, or dremel anything.

IMG_1018_zps1ebdfd08.jpg

IMG_1019_zpsf3376b76.jpg

This is pretty sweet. Okay, I'm sold. I'm pulling the trigger on the M3000 now. I should have it setup pretty sweet by this spring.

Just bought the M3000. Should be at my FFL within a week or so. What Nordic tube did you get for it? I've heard the the Nova but just wanted to make sure before I commit.

I used the Nova tube.

Awesome, thanks. I'm assuming the M2 Bolt handle should work with this too. I guess Nordic Components is going to be getting a large order from me this week.

I ordered the nova +6 tube and it should be here on Friday. I have the 28" barrel and after seeing yours I wish I would have went with a +7. I will probably pick up a 24" barrel for it next year because they are only $189 shipped . Looks sweet though.

If you are looking for the magazine, my local Books A Million carried it. They have a number of locations. http://www.booksamillion.com/storefinder?id=5885879217470 It is well written and well worth picking up.

Stoeger also list distributors on their site as well. My go to shop ordered a 24" M3000 for me. Got it in a week. Did not have the choke wrench in the box but the shop pulled one for me when i went back asked about it. Gun looks solid for $450. I think this is the lowest price that distributors can offer.

Cleaned the gun and put 2 boxes of federal target loads through it yesterday. Every shell loaded and chambered, 2 failed to fire the first time. Not sure why it failed to fire, but will give it time to break in. May run some high brass through it.

Thanks to Patrick and the rest of you on the heads up about this gun. Didn't have a shotgun and looking to tryout some multigun matches this year. Much easier to start here than in the $1200+ range for an auto or close to this price for a pump.

I can never keep these straight! I think the Mobile chokes fit the M1/Nova and the M2/Super Nova will work but the stick out of the barrel further.

Jesse,

Take a look at the bottom of this page from Carlson's Choke Tubes

Good stuff, thanks! Briley used to have something similar on their site but I can't find it while on my phone.

Looks like the Mobile Choke System is the M1 and the Crio Plus is the M2. The two systems use the same threads. So M2 or Crio Plus chokes will fit an M1/Nova/Stoeger M3000 but that extra smooth part will stick out the end of the barrel kinda like an extended choke only longer. I run my M2 chokes in my M1 and Nova and soon in my M3000 too.

So does anyone know what type of bolt handle the M3000 would take? From their manual on page 23 it looks almost like a cross between an M1 style with the round button at the end and the 930 style with the flat section. I wonder if I'll have to make my own.

I had the opportunity to view a Benelli M2 26", a Stoeger M3000 26", and a Stoeger M3500 26" side by side. The Benelli had a better fit/finish, but also had a price tag of $1219 versus the M3000 at $479. I can't complain about the fit/finish product of the M3000, you just can't compare it to the fit/finish of a gun that costs 2.5x more and expect the same. The function and feel of the action seemed to be great on both, no concerns there. The short red fiber up front it quite easy to see, I liked it, I wondered if I would.

I do have a concerns though, the long length of pull:

1. I am 5' 9", so a fairly small statured guy, the length of pull is a little long on me.

2. Are there shorter, maybe a youth stock option?

3. Can you cut down the stock by 0.5"-0.625" and make a butt pad fit?

I am hoping someone is willing to remove their buttpad, take a photo, and post it.