Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

On 2/25/2018 at 2:24 PM, usmc1094 said:

This is a friends new m3k.  Loading 1 shell is fine, anymore than that this happens about every 5th time.  Any idea what I can do to get it going?

And I re post this for your thought process. "Loading 1 shell is fine". Directly from your video post as you can see above.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cuz you load one shell that way....I was talking about the traditional loading of one shell. If you try to load one like you fumbled a dual or quad it still hangs up.  I understand you don't have the gun in your hands but being an ass never helps and that seems to be your go to move.

I'm beginning to think that you are doing the work on this gun, and not "your friend", I really don't see where my comments to you as the non owner/worker on we're out of line, but to each their own. Just to help me out in the future, which big words did I use that didn't help? Perhaps I am not being  clear enough. The extra room at the back of the port is allowing the rolled rebated part of the crimp of the second shell to over ride the rim of the first shell. In so doing it is forcing the first shell into the bind you are trying to display. The harder you push, the more the crimp slides down the coned out port further forcing the rim of the first shell into a bind. It is absolutely clear from the video that this is happening. In the case of Benelli they had only removed 15 thousands from just the wrong area. I don't ever recall calling you, or implying you were an idiot, but I also understand the amount of frustration you must be facing, if you in fact are the guy working on it, and not your friend. Good luck with it. BTW I was able to fix the other Stoeger over the interweb, so tonight I guess I'm 50/50.

Also while your at it, go back and try to find out when you told me that you had tried another bolt carrier and trigger group from another gun. That little tid bit of information only came out in your "angry" post. One can only go by what they are told, and since you didn't tell me this, I went with a problem I have known to happen in other Stoegers which is very much like the problem you said you had. To get mad at me for not knowing what you have tried, without telling me is just a little tawdry.

Once again, thanks for your help. But without you holding it you don't seem to be able to get what I'm saying.  Good job on the other stoeger!

I tried that after our conversation about the bolt being cut wrong. 

Edited by usmc1094

It is hard to fix stuff over the internet for sure. My terms may not be your term. It is possible we are saying the same thing, or we are way off. Who knows? Sorry it didn't work out. I wasn't the only one who thought it had been opened up too much, so maybe it is the angle of the video. I leave you with one last thought, try a different magazine follower, like a Nordic or something other than the Stoeger one, if you haven't already.

It does have an MOA follower.  But I didn't check it for defects. I will let him know.  He did tell me today that he did and entire practice session with 0 problems.  

I believe the angle of the video is giving people a bad view. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my M3K!!

So far I'm on stage 2 of the loading port. It still needs a little bit more work for quad loads.

Waiting on my taccom +9 extension.

Trigger job is next on the list along with hi-viz sight and a mid bead install.

After all that some stock stippling.

Has anyone done any pattern testing on different extended chokes?

IMG_20180308_202734.jpg

IMG_20180308_202741.jpg

IMG_20180308_202756.jpg

IMG_20180308_202807.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kurtm

I saw you posted that the loading problem was "caused by the fly cut on the bottom of the bolt carrier being improperly cut causing the lifter not to depress enough causing the single shells to bind."

This sounds exactly what is wrong with mine. Is there any chance you could walk me through remedial action on the bolt carrier or bottom of the lifter to give the clearence for the cartridge. Cheers from Sweden.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Woody, I just now saw your post on the fly cut. Take a Dremel with a cut off wheel and extend the cut all the way out the front to the depth of the deepest part of the fly cut.  BTW this will also allow you to load the tube when the bolt is out of battery, like when it is flagged, or in the rare instance the bolt didn't close all the way.

Has anyone heard about the reliability of the M3K "Freedom Series"?   It's the new Stoeger lineup with a 10 shell capacity mag.   I'm weighing the options between models and wondering if it's better to go with the M3000 then add the Nordic +6 extension.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My M3K finally had an issue during a match yeaterday. The inertia spring broke causing FTE.  I guess I should change springs every 5000 rounds or so.

1 hour ago, hump said:

My M3K finally had an issue during a match yeaterday. The inertia spring broke causing FTE.  I guess I should change springs every 5000 rounds or so.

There was a small group of Stoeger inertia springs known to have improper heat treatment. Stoeger will send you a new spring, or replace it with a Benelli inertia spring. Either way you'll likely never have that problem again.

• 1 month later...

Kentucky Gun Co currently has a pretty good deal on the M3K Freedom Series -  $549.31 shipped.  Figured that with the  10+1 magazine extension included that's a good price so I picked one up.  I see a lot of recommendations to deburr the extractor slot on these.  I watched Huch's video on how to remove the pin, but what exactly is involved with deburring the slot?  What methods are used and is there anything I need to be careful of (like don't remove too much material in a certain spot)?  I apologize if this was already covered - I searched but didn't find anything.

Just give it a few light passes with a needle file. I'm sure you could theoretically cause issues by removing too much material, but you'd have to try really hard. All you're doing is smoothing out the rough edges, you shouldn't need to remove much material at all.

6 hours ago, TalkingMonkey said:

Kentucky Gun Co currently has a pretty good deal on the M3K Freedom Series -  $549.31 shipped.  Figured that with the  10+1 magazine extension included that's a good price so I picked one up.  I see a lot of recommendations to deburr the extractor slot on these.  I watched Huch's video on how to remove the pin, but what exactly is involved with deburring the slot?  What methods are used and is there anything I need to be careful of (like don't remove too much material in a certain spot)?  I apologize if this was already covered - I searched but didn't find anything.

I jumped on the same deal.

I'm not sure the files I have are fine enough for this, so my backup plan is automotive bodywork sandpaper glued to a 1/16" strip of aluminum. 

Picked up my M3K Freedom Series from the FFL this weekend.  I did not realize that Stoeger just extended the magazine tube to hold 10 +1 rounds - I thought they included a conventional magazine extension with the gun. ?  It's not the end of the world, but I'm a little bummed that there isn't an easy way to switch to a 12-round tube if I want to.  Hopefully MOA or someone else will make a +2 end cap for the FS!

On 7/2/2018 at 9:02 AM, TalkingMonkey said:

Picked up my M3K Freedom Series from the FFL this weekend.  I did not realize that Stoeger just extended the magazine tube to hold 10 +1 rounds - I thought they included a conventional magazine extension with the gun. ?  It's not the end of the world, but I'm a little bummed that there isn't an easy way to switch to a 12-round tube if I want to.  Hopefully MOA or someone else will make a +2 end cap for the FS!

Not sure what tube it comes with but shooters source has +2 extensions for the Nordic mtx tubes, get a new spring too. I have the nordic tube with this and it runs perfect. 

https://www.shooterssource.com/shooters-source-1-red-4123.html

18 hours ago, louu said:

Not sure what tube it comes with but shooters source has +2 extensions for the Nordic mtx tubes, get a new spring too. I have the nordic tube with this and it runs perfect. 

https://www.shooterssource.com/shooters-source-1-red-4123.html

Thanks for the link, but those threads look way finer than what is on the FS.