Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Link Pin Replacement

Indiana James

I have a Caspian Open gun. The link pin broke.

Is there any special considerations in replacing it?

I measured it and it's 0.155" However, brownell only sells 0.156 and 0.154. What size should I put in?

The gun shoots great. I shoot 1.25" at 25 yards. That's six shoots. I'll probably sell it. I'm getting another Open gun soon - either STI or Brazo.

Any help is appreciated.

Indy

Is there any special considerations in replacing it?

Best to figure out why it broke. A misfit barrel will just break more parts. Get a book that covers barrel fitting in detail, or take it to a good smith.

I measured it and it's 0.155" However, brownell only sells 0.156 and 0.154. What size should I put in?

Buy both. <_< Start with the smaller one. If it is too tight, put in the next one. Make sure the barrel feet are contacting properly, and not stressing the link.

EDIT Oops...I was thinking link, not link pin. It is very likely the barrel is misfit if you are breaking link pins. Buy a regular pin set. If the link pin from the set is not tight, get the oversize. You will have the rest of the set for spare parts. Having spare parts is a good idea. :rolleyes:

Question..

How do you break a link pin without doing damage to either the link or the barrel feet ?? That is a rather hefty pin,large diameter and short length..

I suppose anything is possible but it is hard to picture..

Question..

How do you break a link pin without doing damage to either the link or the barrel feet ?? That is a rather hefty pin,large diameter and short length..

I suppose anything is possible but it is hard to picture..

Good question. I don't know. The link is fine. The pin sheared in two places??? It is an older gun. Maybe a weak link pin????

It looks like it sheared on the two edges that meet the link. So, maybe the link is too small? I'll have to figure out how to check and then check.

Thank you - Indy

My guess would be a bad heat treat on the link pin (seems to be going around lately... like the flu). If there was a problem with the fit, etc., it woulda cropped up sooner and, most likely, in a place other than the pin.

I agree with the Gorilla. My first thought was that is was the pin. The link is not strechted at all. No unusal wear marks anywhere. I'll look at the fit with a new pin, but I'll try a new pin first.

The pin shearing isn't a safety issue. The gun goes into battery and locks up. It just won't cycle.

Indy