Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info on Briley choke tube install?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I was wondering if anyone here has had Briley install choke tubes in there non choked tube barrels? I am thinking of having this done so I can use the gun for skeet, trap, 5-stand and sporting clays. What chokes did you get with the barrel? Let me know. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I know they offer the service for single and double barrels. I was just trying to get personal experiences and what chokes to order. I know Krieghoff factory uses Briley to thread there non threaded barrels for customers. Thanks, Eric

I've had Briley thread two guns for me. There's no one else in the US that I would use for this but PUT YOUR ORDER TO THEM IN WRITING. Both times the gun came back with tubes different than what I ordered. It all got straightened out in the end but I'm glad I had the written order to fall back on.

The work they do is great and they do things that no one else does (steel proof thinwalls). Again, I wouldn't send a gun to anyone else for this service.

As for choke choice, it really depends on what you want to do with the gun. I shoot mainly sporting clays and I'm a proponent of the close/middle/far school of choking so I generally go with .005/.015/.025 (SK/LM/IM) but it really comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Beware that the standard extended thinwalls have a very long extended section which looks kind of stupid to me. They have an optional "short" extended which is what I would go with. Talk to them about it if you want to go extended and choose the one you prefer. Just be aware that there are choices. I tend to go with Black Oxide as well, again, for aesthetics.

Any other questions?

Leftnose: So you would get the chokes for steel shot instead of the lead ones? The gun will be used for clay sports only. I like extended choke tubes since I can tell what is in the gun. I think I will have to get 2 flush chokes since the gun has sub gauge tubes but will have to check on that (I don't have the gun in my hands yet). I know I will need at least one skeet, full and improved modified. The other 2 are up in the air right now. Thanks, Eric

Well, if you have fitted subgauge tubes, you'll have to get two tubes that are the same as what are in the gun now as the tubes won't fit if the chokes are different. Assuming the gun is choked SK/SK now, you'll have to get two SK chokes.

Why do you want a full choke? Are you planning on shooting 25+ yard handicap trap? I don't honestly see a need for a full choke for clays for any other reason.

I get the steel-proof chokes "just in case." I only shoot lead through those guns but "you never know." The only difference is the tube itself so you can always buy steel-proof choke tubes later.

I also prefer extended chokes for ease of use but, again, I just think Briley's standard extended thinwalls look dumb because the extended portion is so long. This may not bother you. I just ask for the "short" extension.

For sheek I would run a pair of .005. For sporting clays add .015 and a .025 or . 030 for trap if you go farther back if not an.015 will work. The tube set may not fit correct unless you have a set of chokes made that fit the same as what's in the gun

Hello: I appreciate the info guys :cheers: I ended up getting another barrel to have Briley do their magic to. The 28" barrel with the sub gauge tubes was modified to fit the Kolar sub gauge tubes and I decided not to mess with it. I have another barrel coming that is 32" and it will be my trap, 5-stand and sporting clays one. I will ask about the "short extended ones" chokes and the regular extended ones to see how much longer they are. Now I have to decide on spectrum or plan black ones. I like the spectrum on my sons Beretta 391 since I can tell which choke is in there. This is for a Krieghoff model 32 by the way that is about 43 years old but looks new :devil: Thanks, Eric

• 1 month later...

Briley has done a couple of choke setups for me, I did the thinwall extended chokes in a nice Winchester 101 that was originally choked full and full and patterned really poorly - that one I did steel proofed, as this is my waterfowl gun. I do kinda wish I had gone Black on the choke tubes as they tend to get dirty fast. I did two skeet, LM, Mod, IM and Full - the reality is I never use the Full I wish i had bought two Light Mod's and I could have skiped the skeets.

On my Marocchi (Not Moroku) I had them build Helix chokes for this - they look a little goofy and are a bit long, but they really do seem to work well (hit hard) this gun is my 5 stand and sporting clays gun. I shoot it a lot, i got two skeet, one LM and one Mod. That has covered everything I could possibly want.

I don't shoot any flush chokes if i can avoid it, they are a pain to change and to remember what you have in.

Briley really does great work, but whatever they tell you for a "turnaround time" double it. They are always super busy.