Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad Holster Wear With DOH Holster (STI Edge)

I recently switched over to USPSA Limited and picked up a new Edge and Blade Tech DOH in September. Since then I've shot fewer than ten matches and about as many practice sessions.

In that time, I've developed a couple wicked wear marks along the length of the top of the slide and near the muzzle. The marks near the muzzle were kind of expected (still bummed) but the long, thin scratches through the finish (not gouging the steel yet) are extremely disappointing.

Upon inspection, I can feel a number of small bumps or hard bubbles in the Kydex which appear to be in the same location as the marks on my slide. The problems are very evident now, the bluing finish isn't "shiny" (polished by the holster), it's gone.

I know a lot of folks really like Blade Tech holsters and I have enjoyed the fit and function, too (coming from Production, it feels natural), but I'm thinking I may have to move over to a "race" holster now if I want to keep my new pistol looking halfway clean. I fully expected to see wear (it's not a safe queen) but not this fast and not this bad.

Thoughts? I have already contacted Blade Tech and have been awaiting response. I have three other Kydex holsters by other manufacturers and none were as tight or rough inside as the Blade Tech. I want to love this thing, but it's hard to with my new gun almost needing a refinish.

Thanks... I'm thinking the DAA Race Master may be the way to go for my Limited / L10 setup. Coming from Production, i like the idea of a full-coverage holster but maybe it's time to move into race gear.

If Blade Tech won't help me out I may just sell the DOH and move on. Comp-Tac, DAA, Ready Tactical, and others make quality kydex.

Thanks... I'm thinking the DAA Race Master may be the way to go for my Limited / L10 setup. Coming from Production, i like the idea of a full-coverage holster but maybe it's time to move into race gear.

If Blade Tech won't help me out I may just sell the DOH and move on. Comp-Tac, DAA, Ready Tactical, and others make quality kydex.

I have a comp tac for my XDm and it turned it bitone after a couple of dryfire sessions. It is the second CompTac I have owned, the first was fine but this is crazy.

I'd be embarassed too if the blueing wore off my blaster & someone thought it was actually getting out of the safe & being used! :cheers:

Seriously, It's a blued blaster, you're going to have to

A) get use to it happening & just keep it wiped down

B) leave it in the safe because any holster is going to do it

C) get it refinished to some pimpin' chrome etc.

I'd be embarassed too if the blueing wore off my blaster & someone thought it was actually getting out of the safe & being used! :cheers:

Seriously, It's a blued blaster, you're going to have to

A) get use to it happening & just keep it wiped down

B) leave it in the safe because any holster is going to do it

C) get it refinished to some pimpin' chrome etc.

D) Point it out to my wife tell her it is ruined and I have to buy a new one.

Friends, I am squarely in the 'bluing wear is cool' camp, but ugly scratches through the bluing from imperfections in the holster suck.

My wife wasn't digging it, either, and she shoots USPSA with me. And, for the record, we have to be the only ones who think premature wear on a $2000+ gun is cool :-)

try the ghost ultimate holster man

http://www.ghostinte...mid=125〈=en

I've had the Ghost holster, and I think the DAA is more secure.

Bluing wear is sexy, chicks dig it.

But seriously, any holster will wear the bluing off your gun pretty quickly.

My DAA racer has pretty much worn the bluing off the bottom of my dustcover.

Holster wear, like death and taxes, is inevitable. It's just proof that you actually USE your gun.